daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #1861
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1862
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

McCowan Road overpass, I presume. Nice pic.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1863
sonysnob

^ it is from McCowan.

Some more from Ontario:

These photos are taken along Highway 17, generally along the northshore of Lake Superior. Highway 17 from Nipigon to Marathon is far and away Ontario's most beautiful highway. I shot these almost 4.5 years ago, and everytime I look at them I want to go back.

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Wow, great.

Undivided 4-lane roads are virtually non-existent in the Netherlands, especially non-urban sections.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1865
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

I'm suprised the story about the 300 stranded motorist hasn't been posted yet

Canada Military Evacuates Motorists Stranded by Snow

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Quote:
Canada's military began airlifting hundreds of motorists stranded for 24 hours on a stretch of highway in southwestern Ontario, after a blizzard snarled traffic and caused a key U.S.-Canada bridge to suspend commercial traffic into Ontario.

The Ontario Provincial Police estimate 360 vehicles were stuck as the storm dumped snow over rural Highway 402 about 20 miles east of Sarnia, Ontario. No injuries were reported.
Read more: Snow snarls traffic in Detroit, trucks back up | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010121...#ixzz189cyqSib

Quote:
Traffic is snarled on three Detroit freeways this evening because of the closure of the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron to truck traffic.

Canadian government forced the closure after lake-effect snow pummeled the Highway 402 east of Sarnia, stranding hundreds of motorists, many of whom had to be rescued by Canadian military personnel.

As a result, hundreds of trucks were heading for the Ambassador Bridge in Southwest Detroit to cross the border.

By 8 p.m., traffic on northbound I-75 was back up across the Rouge River Bridge, with mostly trucks lining up to get on the Ambassador bridge.

On eastbound I-96, the backup was even longer. Motorists reported traffic that was back up past the interchange with I-94 and several miles onto I-94.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #1866
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Motorists are actually trying to physically remove the barriers that have been set up at the 401/402 interchange in London.

I'm just glad to hear everyone stranded on the 402 got to safety with no injury. Always nice to have some good news.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; December 21st, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #1867
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Highway 401 in London looking west.

image hosted on flickr

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:46 AM   #1868
Tincap

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
I'm suprised the story about the 300 stranded motorist hasn't been posted yet
This was taken on London Line, which is part of the EDR (Emergency Detour Route) running parallel with the 402. Obviously not a good idea sending these trucks up that road, that day...

Credit: Glenn Olgilvie/CP

I'll -uuuh- dig up some more pix.

EDIT: Some more pix.

This on the 402 itself. Top one showing local snowmobilers provide assistance. Normally these machines are not permitted on Ontario freeways...

Credit: Dan Janisse/Postmedia News

Ground zero...

Credit: Beth Campbell

Video link here ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKEnSdg3sw

Lot's more out there!

~BG

Last edited by Tincap; December 22nd, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1869
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

That was crazy what happened in southern Ontario, I heard one person died in their van.

Anyways, here is a highway project update from the Gateway Project in Metro-Vancouver.

This image shows the south approach of the new Port Mann Bridge and how insanely wide it is going to be (in fact it will be the world's widest bridge deck upon completion).

This image also shows how much land has been dug out of the trough to fit the new through lanes and collector / distributer system being built along this stretch. You can also see some of the work being done on the interchange at the top of the hill, but that is still in its early stages. You can see westward traffic is now being diverted to the east as work continues on the the new overpass structures. The gateway project is a huge project and will really improve the #1 through Metro Vancouver.

image hosted on flickr

source: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5162/...0a658bc8_b.jpg

I will try and post some more updates regarding the new interchanges, fly overs, etc as this project continues.
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #1870
Metro One

Well, as many know on this thread there are currently 3 billion dollars worth of highway expansion projects occurring in the Metro-Vancouver area (primarily the #1 & the South Fraser Perimeter Road), but I would like to highlight some of the other projects occurring elsewhere in BC.

Highway 17 on southern Vancouver Island (from the ferries to Victoria) has adopted a long term improvement strategy (to become a full freeway)

Here is the link:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...r_Strategy.pdf

The first stage of this project is currently under construction, the McTavish interchange. Here is the render:

image hosted on flickr

Highway 97 through the Okanagan is currently being widened to 4 lanes in most of the remaining 2 lane sections between Penticton and north of Vernon, including the addition of several new interchanges.

Here is the link to the entire corridor project:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/okanaganvalley/index.html

Here are some of the renders:

The Westside Road interchange currently U/C south of Kelowna:

image hosted on flickr

This interchange is north of Vernon and is part of a larger twinning segment of the 97 Corridor project. I believe this portion is nearing completion.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And this is the most impressive portion of the 97 corridor project, soon to start construction, it is between Winfield and Oyama, and will be a completely new road segment (the current highway along this portion hugs the lake shore and is only 2 lanes).

Watch the video, it is cool:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/okanaganvall...infield-oyama/

I have now run out of time, I will soon post information about all the #1 upgrades along with other highway projects in BC.

Cheers
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #1871
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Is that ever gonna be nice when it's completed. (Winfield to Oyama) Now if they could A: Nuke Vernon off the face of the Earth and make it far LESS Schizophrenic to drive through, or B: Grow some serious gonads and build a tunnel under the wretched city. Either would be a VAST improvement over having to drive through the s**thole as it is now.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1872
sonysnob

That Port Mann bridge upgrade is a huge project for BC. For a province that isn't known for having any substantial highways, this certainly is a huge departure from the standard.

Good for BC.
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1873
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

The highway that's there now, was built in the 60s. Back then, the freeway was more than adequate.
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1874
Metro One

The upgraded #1 through Metro-Vancouver will be the largest freeway west of the Golden Horseshoe in Canada once completed, especially the Port Mann, Cape Horn interchange area.

As for bypassing vernon, there is actually a detailed plan already proposed for doing such a thing, a full freeway that will circle west of Vernon. Obviously it is still only in draft form but it is an active idea currently.
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1875
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro One View Post
As for bypassing vernon, there is actually a detailed plan already proposed for doing such a thing, a full freeway that will circle west of Vernon. Obviously it is still only in draft form but it is an active idea currently.
Any links? The sooner, the better.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:21 AM   #1876
Metro One

Unfortunetly it tlloks like the Vernon bypass project is on the shelf right now, I looked it up this morning and recently the NIMBYs came out and are against it, apperently they enjoy having all that traffic roaring through their downtown instead.

Anyways, i am sure it will be resurrected again as traffic volumes continue to increase as the population expands in the Okanagan, but anyways it is nice to see several decent highway projects occurring between Penticton and Vernon currently, such as the ones I posted above.
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:35 AM   #1877
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

I was just talking with a friend on MSN, and she said the Winfield-Oyama re alignment, is doomed to fail.

"they're going to build it over top of the old highway, and it's been proven that the underlying surface is riddled with stress cracks. As soon as the blast it, it pushes those cracks deeper. They'll end up with what happened on Westside Rd 5 years ago"

For those who don't know, the BC Ministry of Transportation re-aligned a section of a local road, called Westside Road. (It runs along the west side of Okanagan Lake, thus the name) They blasted, the stress cracks let go, and a huge chunk of hillside came down. The road was closed for two weeks I believe. Same thing near Peachland.

"so it should be interesting...watch the ******* highway slide down the hill and into the lake."
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #1878
Metro One

hmm, well I have a feeling it will be as safe as any other highway built through a mountainous area in North America. They have to do many geological sampling / testing procedures before anything can be built. That is one of the main regions highways in developed / western nations usually take far longer to build (and are far more expensive per km) than there counterparts in developing or non developed nations. Also, there are many mitigation procedures that are done to reduce hazards as well, i wont be loosing any sleep over it

The Sea to Sky, along with many other pacific highways in North America, is likely far more dangerous and hazardous than this proposed alignment. Much of the sea to sky highway is built along a large granite plutone that is now sheeting (because it is now exposed) and these faults / cracks are running near vertical, which makes it very susceptible to slumping / sliding.
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM   #1879
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

have anyone tried to drove from Montreal to Vancouver? very interesting.
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1880
sonysnob

^ I did Toronto to Vancouver back in 2004. It's a big country.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto