daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:19 AM   #1881
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
have anyone tried to drove from Montreal to Vancouver? very interesting.
If I were aiming to do it as fast as possible, I'd probably go 401, 402, I-69, I-94, I-90, I-5....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:39 AM   #1882
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I've done Hamilton to Lethbridge and back... did it all in 6 days

took 403, 401, 402, I-94, stopped at friends north of Detroit for the night, back on I-94, I-96, M-14, I-94, I-90, I-94, I-694, I-94, MT-200S, MT-200, I-15 and then finally Alberta Highway 4. On the way back we took Highway 3 to the Trans Canada at Medicine Hat and then the Trans Canada all the way to Ontario 102 and then back on the Trans Canada at Thunder Bay, to Highway 6 at Espanola and took the Big Canoe to Tobermory, and then 6 all the way home.

I only did it because my friend needed a ride from Lethbridge to Oliphant, near Wiarton, ON. He was moving back to go to school.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1883
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

If you are going from Vancouver to as far east as Winnipeg there is no advantage going through the states, but unfortunately east of Winnipeg there is a big advantage traveling through US.
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:22 AM   #1884
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

It would be cool (though it wouldn't be well utilized) if there were a road that linked Quebec City west through Quebec directly to say Ontario's Highway 66 or 101 east of Timmins. That would drastically cut travel time for coast to coast travel, even if it were only a two lane road.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1885
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Yeah I once went cross-country by cutting through the USA, seeing some tourist attractions on the other side of the border on the way (like Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone Park).

Anyways, a new interchange on Highway 401 has been finalized:

Source: http://www.london.ca/Transportation/...RAddendum2.pdf This project was identified in May 2001 and finalized in November 2010.

That picture shows Wonderland Road (London's busiest arterial) with 4 lanes and Highway 401 with 8. I'm sure initial construction would see Wonderland Road being 2 lanes (the Highway 402 overpass can only accommodate 2 lanes) and Highway 401 being 4 or 6 lanes.

Guess it all depends on when it's built. Although the plan has been finalized, the project is unfunded at this point and there's no construction date set. It will be the first new interchange in this neck of the woods in quite some time.

Still, it's good news. I hate using the Highway 4 cloverleaf!

I could be wrong, but the Highway 4/401 cloverleaf may very well be the last cloverleaf on Highway 401, and one of the last on the 400-Series. Can anyone confirm this?

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1886
sonysnob

^ There are a couple left.

Highway 62/401 in Belleville is likely going to be around for quite a while, and the ugly cloverleaf at Highway 88/400 is still around, though its days are likely numbered.
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #1887
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

HWY 1 is closed about 100m north (east) of the Yale Tunnel, due to a rock slide. The highway should be reopened tomorrow after an assessment is carried out in daylight.

Too bad there's no way to use the original highway below the tunnel and Canadian Pacific Railway. Part of it is still driveable.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #1888
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Are there any secondary/detour routes around this area? You'd think with good mudslide/avalanche potential alternative routes would me made...

Here's a new pic of Highway 403 in Mississauga with the Hurontario Street skyline in the background. It sort of acts as their "downtown core" even though downtown Toronto isn't too far away.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #1889
Metro One

People are being advised to take the #3 or the #5 (which is freeway standard) instead in reaching the interior.

The problem with the #1 is that it is built along the Fraser Canyon with many steep canyon walls. It is not easy to build a secondary route in such an area. There is a rushing river below and high mountains beside. In fact the base of the canyon is only at 100m above sea level on average while the immediate surrounding ridges are between 1000 and 1500 meters above sea level. And the canyon is only a couple kilometers wide on average. So again, this coupled with a low population in the area does not demand that many roads.

Also it should be noted that the #1 through this stretch essentially is the secondary route to the interior from the coast, the #5 is the main highway (a 4 lane (5 to 6 lane in several parts) freeway.
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #1890
dibble zee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wow thats a great pic of the 403.

In other news, British Columbia has the worst highways in North America. Specifically the metro Vancouver region
dibble zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1891
sonysnob

Question about Quebec?

When are the new flyover ramps between A-20 and A-520 supposed to be complete?

This year?
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1892
sonysnob

Gardiner Expressway, Toronto

Last edited by sonysnob; January 11th, 2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: captioned photo
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #1893
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
Wow thats a great pic of the 403.

In other news, British Columbia has the worst highways in North America. Specifically the metro Vancouver region
Outside of Toronto, yes, insofar as Canada is concerned. As for N. America... Other members will contest that. They'll say L.A., New York, Houston, or any other major N. American city.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1894
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Outside of Toronto, yes, insofar as Canada is concerned. As for N. America... Other members will contest that. They'll say L.A., New York, Houston, or any other major N. American city.
I'm pretty sure some Mexican States have the worst highways. Those toll roads look nice, but try riding on a state road.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1895
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Highways in the cities you mentioned are built to very high standards unlike Vancouver's.
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #1896
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
I'm pretty sure some Mexican States have the worst highways. Those toll roads look nice, but try riding on a state road.
Try driving on a Provincial Route
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1897
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
Highways in the cities you mentioned are built to very high standards unlike Vancouver's.
Define "standards".

Quality wise, the standards are very good, compared to elsewhere in the province. Capacity wise is a different story. The freeway was constructed in the 60s when there was vary little traffic. Expansion of the highway was never carried out till the 1990s when the HOV lanes were added.
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #1898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

HOV lanes are no solution. In the areas with highest HOV usage, it is around 10%. Which means that you need at least 5 lanes per direction before 1 HOV lane is justified.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1899
Tincap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Question about Quebec?

When are the new flyover ramps between A-20 and A-520 supposed to be complete?

This year?
It cannot be completed already...but, there's no icon for road work present at the 20/520 exchange.

http://www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca/fr/e...n/Region11.htm

~BG
Tincap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1900
sonysnob

Quote:
Define "standards".

Quality wise, the standards are very good, compared to elsewhere in the province. Capacity wise is a different story. The freeway was constructed in the 60s when there was vary little traffic. Expansion of the highway was never carried out till the 1990s when the HOV lanes were added.
What about the 407?

It's a toll highway, but its a pretty significant highway expansion.

Also, lots of highways have been widened. The 400 for example went from 6-8 lanes, to 8-12 lanes in Northern Toronto.

Same with the 404, going from six to 8+2.

Toronto is definately very congested, but there have been lots of highway expansion projects since the 1960s.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto