daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #1901
dibble zee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Define "standards".

Quality wise, the standards are very good, compared to elsewhere in the province. Capacity wise is a different story. The freeway was constructed in the 60s when there was vary little traffic. Expansion of the highway was never carried out till the 1990s when the HOV lanes were added.
What are you talking about? The quality is horrible. More of metro Vancouver's highways are unlevel than level due to sinkage. The median barriers are of poor quality and are crumbling in many areas that still use the original ones. Even the new ones are not as good as poured concrete and they look awful. The shoulders aren't wide enough. The barriers aren't high enough to deflect debris flying over from traffic in the opposing direction. Many, many exits/entrances were designed poorly. Too many to list. Maybe they're better than other areas of the province but thats not saying much since the whole province's highways are poorly built.
dibble zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1902
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Gardiner Expressway, Toronto
Sweet pic. The Gardiner is a great road to get nice Toronto skyscraper eye candy.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #1903
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
What about the 407?

It's a toll highway, but its a pretty significant highway expansion.

Also, lots of highways have been widened. The 400 for example went from 6-8 lanes, to 8-12 lanes in Northern Toronto.

Same with the 404, going from six to 8+2.

Toronto is definately very congested, but there have been lots of highway expansion projects since the 1960s.
Wasn't ON 407 a new-ROW construction?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #1904
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
What are you talking about? The quality is horrible. More of metro Vancouver's highways are unlevel than level due to sinkage. The median barriers are of poor quality and are crumbling in many areas that still use the original ones. Even the new ones are not as good as poured concrete and they look awful. The shoulders aren't wide enough. The barriers aren't high enough to deflect debris flying over from traffic in the opposing direction. Many, many exits/entrances were designed poorly. Too many to list. Maybe they're better than other areas of the province but thats not saying much since the whole province's highways are poorly built.
Come to Kamloops, where I live, if you want to experience poor road surface quality. ESPECIALLY the main and side streets in residential areas. It's only going to get worse too.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #1905
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18166

Durham residents fuming over plan to build ‘half a highway’
Published On Wed Jan 12 2011
Toronto Star

Columbus residents, led by MPP Christine Elliott, left, and organizer Rosemary McConkey, centre, protest the province's plans to end the 407 east extension at Simcoe St. in north Oshawa.

Halfway measures don’t work when you’re building a highway, the people and politicians of Durham Region have warned the province.

“No one wants to have half a highway,” Oshawa resident Mark Little told a public meeting on the planned east extension of Hwy. 407 Wednesday night. “We were promised a whole highway. Oshawa needs it (as) a kick start to get back on its feet.”

The city and region were caught off guard last year when the province announced it plans to build the 50-kilometre extension to Hwy. 35/115 in two stages. The first section, to be completed by 2015, will end at Simcoe St. N., just south of the hamlet of Columbus. The rest of the public toll highway will be completed when money is available, Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne has said.

The change in plans has unleashed a wave of anger with residents’ groups, municipalities, local MPs and MPPs, and the city of Peterborough, who are objecting to everything from imbalanced economic growth to traffic and safety issues.

Ending the 407 at Simcoe St. will spew 2,100 vehicles per hour onto a road that was never built for that volume, regional chair Roger Anderson told the City Hall meeting attended by about 150 people.

“It’s like a bunch of fighting red ants coming at you,” he said.

The $255 million it will cost Durham for road improvements “would take literally all our money to accommodate it,” he added.

In a letter to Premier Dalton McGuinty last month, Oshawa Mayor John Henry said the phased approach would have “devastating and crippling impacts.” He urged the government to reroute $8 billion set aside for Toronto’s LRT so the entire 407 extension can be completed by 2013, according to the agreement signed with the federal government in 2007.

In a televised interview shown at the meeting, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty warned the province to live up to its word. “We expect them to honour their agreement. This story isn’t over yet.”

Columbus resident Rosemary McConkey urged council to “stick to your guns” in insisting the extension be built all in one go. The project will affect the entire GTA, she said, expressing concerns over traffic volume through a small heritage community.

Developer George Lysyk called the 407 extension the “most important issue” council will face during its four-year term.

“This is insane, folks,” he said, referring to “massive tax increases” that will result from stopping the highway at Simcoe St. “This is going to cost us huge money and will cost us in terms of safety.”

In an interview Wednesday, Christine Elliott, MPP for Whitby-Oshawa, predicted the government’s “broken promise” will be the biggest issue in this fall’s provincial election.

“It’s not just the people of Columbus who are affected, it’s a widespread concern,” she said. “We need the 407 for our economic growth and our ability to travel.”

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1906
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Come to Kamloops, where I live, if you want to experience poor road surface quality. ESPECIALLY the main and side streets in residential areas. It's only going to get worse too.
I hate to say it but there are many areas with poor road surfaces in regions that experience significant freeze thaw cycles or significant precipitation.

For example, road surface quality in Tacoma, Washington and elsewhere in that state are terrible, as is throughout the Prairies of Canada. In fact Prince Albert had to have the worst road conditions I have ever seen.

Reno in Nevada was also pretty bad, especially once you were off the I-80.

Everyone thinks they have the worst roads.

Now, I agree BC's roads are not the best in the world and Ontario's highways are probably the best in Canada, but they are not as bad as Dibble Zee makes them sound to be. Seeing how nearly every single post of his is about how terrible BC highways are he is nothing more than a troll. No matter how many highway upgrades, expansions, etc.. are done in BC he will always hate them and call them the worst. And there are many highway upgrades / expansions going on throughout BC right now, not to mention all of the major upgrades that have been opened in the past 5 years. I also love his crumbling highway / barrier comments in Vancouver. Well I drive from Maple Ridge to Burnaby several times a week and often go downtown and to Surrey as well and I have yet to see these crumbing barrier situations. I am sure if one spent there day trying to find one they would, but that is true for anywhere in the world I have been.

I am sure dibble zee will respond with how wrong I am and how terrible the roads are again and how terrible and wrong all of our up grade projects are (including the 3 billion dollar gateway program) but i will keep posting pics and renderings from these upgrades periodically.

Also, BC has among the most beautiful drives one can take, my personal favorite is the old #5 through the Nicola Valley from Merritt to Kamloops. Love that drive!
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1907
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

deleted

Last edited by alesmarv; January 19th, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1908
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Wasn't ON 407 a new-ROW construction?

Mike
Yes, it was entirely a new road.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1909
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Durham residents fuming over plan to build ‘half a highway’
While it certainly isn't the best-case scenario, extending it halfway is better than nothing. Once that part is complete there will then be increasing pressure and demand to fully extend the route.

Ontario is in crazy debt right now and the extension of Highway 407 will certainly be an election issue (provincial elections take place later this year). However I doubt it will be a major topic for people who live outside of the region.

There's also speculation of a couple more highways being built in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
-Halton-Peel freeway. Might be needed.
-Bradford Bypass. Might be needed.
-Mid-Peninsula Highway. I don't think this one is needed right now. Widening the QEW to 8 or 10 lanes (or 8 plus 2 HOV lanes) to Highway 406 is a good alternative. Highway 420 can then be extended to hook up with Highway 406. I think the province should acquire the land needed for this highway but use it for a dedicated high speed rail line instead.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1910
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
BC highways are in poor shape and there is poor oversight of MOT the provincial organization that builds them. The province simply needs to step in and make sure more effort is put into training and educating the organization in modern design standards, techniques and technology. Its not about a lack of funds but more about about a lack of caring.
Actually, funding, or lack thereof is the problem. With all the belt tightening, the M. O. T. H. has cut back on keeping the highways in good repair, as well as switching to using cheaper and cheaper materials. The result is a repair that is substandard and will simply end up being as bad, if not worse than before.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #1911
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
BC highways are in poor shape and there is poor oversight of MOT the provincial organization that builds them. The province simply needs to step in and make sure more effort is put into training and educating the organization in modern design standards, techniques and technology. Its not about a lack of funds but more about about a lack of caring.
THIS!!! A thousand times THIS.

I agree 100%. Finally someone else understands.
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #1912
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
I think BC has some of the worst highways and design standards for highways in the developed world.
You're not alone in your thinking. BC indeed does have the worst highways in the developed world. I chalk it up to not caring. How else do you explain MoT's complete lack of design unity with the rest of the continent (baring mexico)
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #1913
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro One View Post
I hate to say it but there are many areas with poor road surfaces in regions that experience significant freeze thaw cycles or significant precipitation.

For example, road surface quality in Tacoma, Washington and elsewhere in that state are terrible, as is throughout the Prairies of Canada. In fact Prince Albert had to have the worst road conditions I have ever seen.

Reno in Nevada was also pretty bad, especially once you were off the I-80.

Everyone thinks they have the worst roads.

Now, I agree BC's roads are not the best in the world and Ontario's highways are probably the best in Canada, but they are not as bad as Dibble Zee makes them sound to be. Seeing how nearly every single post of his is about how terrible BC highways are he is nothing more than a troll. No matter how many highway upgrades, expansions, etc.. are done in BC he will always hate them and call them the worst. And there are many highway upgrades / expansions going on throughout BC right now, not to mention all of the major upgrades that have been opened in the past 5 years. I also love his crumbling highway / barrier comments in Vancouver. Well I drive from Maple Ridge to Burnaby several times a week and often go downtown and to Surrey as well and I have yet to see these crumbing barrier situations. I am sure if one spent there day trying to find one they would, but that is true for anywhere in the world I have been.

I am sure dibble zee will respond with how wrong I am and how terrible the roads are again and how terrible and wrong all of our up grade projects are (including the 3 billion dollar gateway program) but i will keep posting pics and renderings from these upgrades periodically.

Also, BC has among the most beautiful drives one can take, my personal favorite is the old #5 through the Nicola Valley from Merritt to Kamloops. Love that drive!
Vancouver does have some large scale transportation projects under construction right now, but how does that help the rest of the road network? What happens when you're not driving over the Golden Ears or new Port Mann bridge? What happens when you're not driving on the new Highway 1 or SFPR? You know? The rest of our roads/highways? They're absolutely abysmal. For all the reasons I listed, plus more.
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1914
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Here's an interesting article regarding toll highways and congestion:

Pay as you drive

Carol Wilding, CEO of the Toronto Board of Trade, says improving transit and transportation is the biggest issue facing the city in 2011.

So to help out, why doesn't the 407 ETR install billboards along the gridlocked 401, encouraging motorists to save time and fuel by switching to the province's only toll highway?

Even better, the 407 is one of the most expensive toll roads in North America. If it simply dropped its rates to a reasonable level, its number of customers would surely soar. Win-win.

Not from the 407's point of view. It doesn't want more users. And it certainly has no interest in easing congestion on the 401 or Highway 7.

So instead of making the 407 more affordable, the toll road's owners are jacking up the rates yet again on Feb. 1. Peak hour pricing is going up 7 per cent.

“We understand we have to keep rates affordable,” said Kevin Sack, the 407 spokesperson. “But we also know that controlling congestion is the most important thing we can do for customers.”

“To maintain the highway as a fast, safe and reliable alternative, tolls are very important,” said Sack. “Tolls are the mechanism by which you can control congestion on the highway.”

By making the 407 too expensive for a few more drivers, the 407 maintains its premium, congestion-free product for those who can afford it or have the ability to deduct the cost as a business expense.

A similar line of reasoning was used to justify congestion charges in cities such as London and Stockholm. But in these cities, the revenue collected was used to improve public transit.

Toronto's newly elected mayor, Rob Ford, promises that “the war on cars is over.” He also wants our roads to be fast, safe and reliable. But from Ford's point of view, are road tolls “car-friendly” or “car-hostile”?

The 407 insists it is being car-friendly, and rightly so. If the company permitted the highway to become congested, it would soon carry fewer vehicles per kilometre-hour. Time savings for users would drop, and vehicle-kilometres (i.e., business) would gradually fall off. The end result would be just another often-congested highway, albeit with lower throughput and a smaller number of tolls attached.

Instead, the new price hike will discourage new users, achieving the company's goal of keeping traffic at current levels.

This is not good for the drivers on the 401 or Highway 7. And it is less good for the environment. Stop-and-go traffic means each car generates more pollution. As a private company, the 407 cannot do what everyone fears for themselves and desires for others — put people onto better transit.

But the government can. If the 407 understands Congestion Management 101, why is Metrolinx not also speaking openly about using road tolls for congestion management?

Privatizing the 407 has cost the province many billions of dollars of foregone revenue, revenue that could be used today and tomorrow to operate roads and improve transit service.

But just because selling the highway was a mistake doesn't mean we can't draw lessons from its operations.

Road tolls are the only way to effectively manage congestion. Money from tolls should go toward the operation and maintenance of roads, and providing good, affordable transit to those who choose not to — or can't afford to — drive.

Toronto is very different from London or Stockholm, so implementing a matching congestion charge scheme wouldn't work.

But why not turn all roads in the GTA and Golden Horseshoe into low-cost toll roads? Affordable technology now exists that makes this feasible. By putting in a comprehensive and publicly owned tolling infrastructure, we could avoid the brutal fees now being charged by the 407.

Revenue generated could be used to modernize and improve our roads and public transit. Mayor Ford is right, the war on cars should be over. Which means the time for road tolls is now.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...y-as-you-drive

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #1915
cementationfurnace

Likes (Received): 21

Isn't everyone glad that the Harris government leased out the highway for a relative song, basically for ideological reasons?
cementationfurnace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #1916
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cementationfurnace View Post
Isn't everyone glad that the Harris government leased out the highway for a relative song, basically for ideological reasons?
It would have worked had more highways been leased out.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #1917
alesmarv

deleted

Last edited by alesmarv; January 19th, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #1918
dibble zee
BANNED

Are people unaware of the bridge section or something?
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #1919
alesmarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
Are people unaware of the bridge section or something?
No I am not aware that the highway one expansion project in Vancouver has a separate thread dedicated to the bridge segment . I put up a picture of the Portman bridge construction which is part of a much larger highway one expansion project.

I have no need to contribute to this thread or forum, I have now deleted all my recent contributions and will no longer contribute to this thread.

Based on your remark you have obviously more time on your hands to search this forum and separate bridge construction updates from highway construction updates, even though they are part of the same project.

Enjoy.
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1920
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
No I am not aware that the highway one expansion project in Vancouver has a separate thread dedicated to the bridge segment . I put up a picture of the Portman bridge construction which is part of a much larger highway one expansion project.

I have no need to contribute to this thread or forum, I have now deleted all my recent contributions and will no longer contribute to this thread.

Based on your remark you have obviously more time on your hands to search this forum and separate bridge construction updates from highway construction updates, even though they are part of the same project.

Enjoy.
I live in Vancouver, I drive on highway 1 each day for my commute. You're right, there is so much going on right now with that project, yet all I've ever seen in this thread are pictures of the Port Mann bridge being posted instead of the actual highway. Its quite distressing

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto