daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1921
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
I live in Vancouver, I drive on highway 1 each day for my commute. You're right, there is so much going on right now with that project, yet all I've ever seen in this thread are pictures of the Port Mann bridge being posted instead of the actual highway. Its quite distressing
How is posting pictures of the single most interesting project in Brittish Columbia to other site readers (some like myself, who live in other provinces) distressing? And don't say that a bridge photo is off-topic, it's not. The new Port Man bridge carries the Trans-Canada Highway. Further, despite the claims otherwise about BC's highways, the new bridge is amazing. It is unlike any other structure in Canada. Show it some respect.

Want some BC highway photos? Go out and take some!

But please, don't ruin the forum for those of us who enjoy it.

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #1922
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
How is posting pictures of the single most interesting project in Brittish Columbia to other site readers (some like myself, who live in other provinces) distressing? And don't say that a bridge photo is off-topic, it's not. The new Port Man bridge carries the Trans-Canada Highway. Further, despite the claims otherwise about BC's highways, the new bridge is amazing. It is unlike any other structure in Canada. Show it some respect.

Want some BC highway photos? Go out and take some!
+1

I really like seeing pictures of the Port Mann Bridge. Sure this isn't the "bridge" section but it also applies to the highways thread. Many roads have bridges and as long as you aren't showing shots of the bridge from every angle and discussing the design in considerable detail, showing a picture of a bridge here is acceptable.

Look: a there's a bridge in this image! EEK!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_pui/5354023588/

That's a photo of Highway 401 at the start of the primary collector/express system near Highway 409 in Toronto.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; January 20th, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #1923
Haljackey

Some new photos from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

Windsor-Essex Parkway construction. When complete, it will connect Highway 401 with Interstate 75 in the USA via a new bridge.

Highway 401 by Pearson Airport:

Wildlife crossing designs for the Highway 69 twinning.

New bridges being built for the Highway 400 extension.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #1924
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

With all of the upgrades the #1 through Metro-Vancouver may become one of the more impressive highway drives in Canada (likely not the most impressive, but one of them).

A large stretch of the road will now be between 8 and 10 lanes wide (from Grandview Highway (Van / Burnaby border) to Surrey), and the entire stretch from the Sea to Sky involves the beautiful trip along the upper levels portion of the #1 (fantastic views, almost European in feel driving along the mountains side overlooking the ocean and city) then crossing Burrard Inlet over the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge, then through the Cassiar Tunnel (a tunnel used in many movies for their freeway tunnel scenes) then through all of the re-vamp interchanges with several new fly overs / ramps and eventually across the Port Mann Bridge, which is going to be the world's widest bridge deck upon completion, with Canada's tallest bridge towers.

So anyways, I have loaded up all of the renderings of the Port Mann, Highway 1 project through Metro Vancouver, here they are traveling West to East.

The project begins just south of the McGill St. interchange. Here the highway will be expanded from 4 to 6 lanes through the Cassiar Tunnel (the tunnel was pre-built for this expansion)

image hosted on flickr

Continuing through Vancouver

image hosted on flickr

This is where the major upgrades begin, the highway will now be 8 through lanes wide. Not the HOV only fly overs. We are now in Burnaby.

image hosted on flickr

The next portion I could not find an updated render for it, so we skip one here. this interchange has needed a revamp for years, happy to see it being done!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The New Gaglardi interchange

image hosted on flickr

East of Gaglardi

image hosted on flickr

This portion has now included new Rapid Bus / Bus only ramps to Lougheed Town Centre

image hosted on flickr

The new Brunette Interchange (This re-vamp was originally going to be larger but the plan now is to build an entirely new much larger interchange just east of this one connecting a few important arteries and have this one become more of a local connection)

image hosted on flickr

The New King Edward Overpass

image hosted on flickr

A render of this overpass

image hosted on flickr

Now we are getting to the big daddy interchange, this is the western end of the Cape Horn where the eastbound Lougheed traffic will now fly over to the south side of the #1

image hosted on flickr

And here is the heart of the Cape Horn

image hosted on flickr

Here is a render of the interchange looking west (This picture sure made the hippies in Vancouver shit themselves, haha)

image hosted on flickr

And the jewel of the project, the Port Mann Bridge

image hosted on flickr

The new 152nd interchange (Now Surrey)

image hosted on flickr

156 HOV / Transit only interchange

image hosted on flickr

New 160th interchange

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New 176th Interchange

image hosted on flickr

The green road is build and is the Golden Ears Way

image hosted on flickr

New 192nd interchange with truck only ramps, although this is now under dispute, the city of Surrey wants a larger full access interchange so this may change.

image hosted on flickr

The green is the new 200th street interchange completed a few years ago

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New 216th interchange

image hosted on flickr

End of Project

So as you can see this is a very large highway project, and it will not be fully complete until 2013. I will try and take some pics of all the new fly overs that are taking shape over the next while.

Cheers
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #1925
Haljackey

Awesome maps and photos, Metro One! Thanks for sharing them!

Currently the Highway 1 / Port Mann Bridge project in Metro Vancouver and its related components is by far the biggest infrastructure project going on in the country. Its well deserved if I must say as B.C. has been behind the ball compared to the rest of the country when it comes to highway infrastructure.

Sorry to hear about your hippies.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #1926
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Sorry to hear about your hippies.
I'm not sorry to hear about them. At least I don't look like one now.

Getting back on topic, awesome pics Metro one.

200th was done back in 06, wasn't it?
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #1927
dibble zee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I've been watching that Windsor/Essex Parkway project for a while now. Looks amazing. I can't wait until it and the bridge get built. Ontario keeps on setting the standard for Canadian highways.

As for the HWY 1 upgrades going on in BC I guess its big by lower mainland standards but compared to other areas in North America its still small potatoes. The bridge will be impressive though.

As an infrastructure junky I'm pretty disapointed with the aesthetics of the HWY 1 upgrades. They still haven't addressed those awful looking pre-cast barriers with the holes in them. They'll be lining the new stretch of highway's center median
dibble zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #1928
sonysnob

Quote:

Currently the Highway 1 / Port Mann Bridge project in Metro Vancouver and its related components is by far the biggest infrastructure project going on in the country. Its well deserved if I must say as B.C. has been behind the ball compared to the rest of the country when it comes to highway infrastructure.
The last few years have been pretty good for Highway's in all of Canada

BC:
Sea to Sky Highway upgrades
Port Man and Hwy 1 Improvements

AB:
AB201 Calgary - East Freeway
AB216 Edmonton - Almost a full ring

ON:
Highway 11&69 twinning
Highway 401 Extension
Hwy 7 to Carleton Place

QC:
Autoroute 30 (!)
Autoroute 25 Extension
Route 175 Twinning.

While nowhere near the population of our Southern neighbour, our highway network is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by sonysnob; January 28th, 2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: spelling
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1929
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Some new photos from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:

New bridges being built for the Highway 400 extension.
What's with the huge blocks of plastic foam?
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1930
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Have you not driven along HWY 1 recently? They use the exact same blocks for all the on/off ramps and east/west approaches to the new Port Mann Bridge.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #1931
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Have you not driven along HWY 1 recently? They use the exact same blocks for all the on/off ramps and east/west approaches to the new Port Mann Bridge.
Nope. The last time I drove that stretch of highway, was back in early 06 as I was in the process of moving to Norther Alberta at the time. I'm just curious as to why they are being used.
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #1932
Metro One

Quote:
The last few years have been pretty good for Highway's in all of Canada

BC:
Sea to Sky Highway upgrades
Port Man and Hwy 1 Improvements

AB:
AB201 Calgary - East Freeway
AB216 Edmonton - Almost a full ring

ON:
Highway 11&69 twinning
Highway 401 Extension
Hwy 7 to Carleton Place

QC:
Autoroute 30 (!)
Autoroute 25 Extension
Route 175 Twinning.

While nowhere near the population of our Southern neighbour, our highway network is nothing to sneeze at.
For BC you can also add the South Fraser Perimeter Road, an entirely new 4 lane highway 40km long.

Also there was the Golden Ears Bridge and the Golden Ears Way (which is about 10km long)

Also all of the interior upgrades I was showing in previous posts plus other bridge projects such as the new Pitt River bridge and the new Kelowna Bridge to name a couple.

BC is playing catch up but they have been building like mad for the last 5 years and there are several other large projects / programs on the table to be announced in the years coming.

With all of these recently completed projects and the others in the works currently BC will actually have a decent highway system considering our huge land mass and jagged topography vs our relatively small population (and therefore small tax base) and the fact that unlike in the United States our freeways / highways are not built and fully funded by the federal government.

And personally I find the road quality in BC better than Alberta and Saskatchewan on average, especially in the southern half of BC. (both I have been to several times and driven throughout). Ontario is still the best for highways I have driven in quality (even many areas in the states the road quality is no longer that good, many highways are definitely showing their age down south now)

And i have a feeling DibbleZee will dislike the fact that they primarily use jersey barriers in the Prairies as well.

But I recommend that DibbleZee drives along the GEW, no holes in that highway's barriers.
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #1933
Metro One

I dont think these have been posted here either, these are the highlights of the SFPR.

It is 40km long and will be built with 3 interchanges and 5 or 6 at grade intersections. I wish it was being built only with interchanges, but apparently their plan now is to transition these intersections over to interchanges as traffic increases over the coming years. A fog and mirrors excuse, simply the funding for this project was maxed.

That disappoints me, yes, but over all it will be a great project and it will fulfill an important missing link in our road network.

Anyways, here are the highlights of this project (U/C currently)

This is the route overview:

image hosted on flickr

Here is the Highway 17 / SFPR interchange, essentially the beginning of the SFPR

image hosted on flickr

This is the most interesting aspect of the project for me, the SFPR highway 99 interchange

image hosted on flickr

Here is the third interchange of the project, and a render of it:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

and this is a render of the highway running along the CN railroad and Fraser River:

image hosted on flickr

Cheers!
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #1934
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
The MTO used Styrofoam to fill the highway to reduce the weight that the fill was going to place on the underlying fill. A lot of Northern Ontario has wet boggy soil described as muskeg that deforms under weight. The Styrofoam obviously weighs much less than crushed rock.

This is far from the first time that Styrofoam was used in highway construction in Ontario. Since (at least) the 1960s Styrofoam has been tried as fill to try and reduce the severity of frost heaves.
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #1935
Haljackey

Oh the joys of winter driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSLoIY3bCv8

Video by Tom Stef. A lot of other road videos were added to his Yotube channel recently. Link if interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/vaughanweather

The drawings for the South Fraser Perimeter Road look cool! Seems like its going to be a nice drive along the river.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; January 29th, 2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #1936
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

It's rediculous that the SFPR is not freeway. This is what they did with HWY 10 and it's bumper to bumper and we all know they will NEVER put in those over passes in our lifetime. One only has to look at #99A to see that.
It;s absurd that after Langley the road goes from 10 to 4 lanes.................it's going to be a total backup. In normal daily traffic this new HWY1 going from Surrey to Abbostford/East won't be any faster than it is now. You are going to have 5 lanes immediatley become 2. This means total congestion while the traffic merges just like the Massey tunnel where you have 3 lanes merging into 1. The traffic backup for up to 5 km.
It is great that BC is improving it's roads but there is one huge difference between other highway construction and others in the rest of the country....................this one will be tolled by $3 each way. Right now the highway is free but it will now be tolled to get anywhere from east of Surrey/Langley to get to any North Fraser area. It will be interesting to how much busier the already over loaded Pattula and Alex Fraser become from people wanting to save themselves some money. This will also be VERY interesting when the Pattula comes down as will it will be needed as it is a thin. old. and traffic prone bridge and the province replaces it with, what the province says. will be another tolled bridge.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1937
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
The MTO used Styrofoam to fill the highway to reduce the weight that the fill was going to place on the underlying fill. A lot of Northern Ontario has wet boggy soil described as muskeg that deforms under weight. The Styrofoam obviously weighs much less than crushed rock.

This is far from the first time that Styrofoam was used in highway construction in Ontario. Since (at least) the 1960s Styrofoam has been tried as fill to try and reduce the severity of frost heaves.
OK. Now I follow. In the 60s when the TCH was first made a freeway in the Vancouver region, sawdust/woodchips were used in the in boggy areas.

How successful has the use of styrofoam been in reducing frost heaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
It's rediculous that the SFPR is not freeway.
I thought it was going to have grade separated interchanges. Mind you, it IS the BC government, so maybe I'm expecting a bit much?
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1938
sonysnob

^ It must be fairly successful. The annual report that I read about the first application of foam was a long time ago, if my memory serves me. It must not be useless if they are still using it today.

Changing gears:
Hwy 24, Ontario:
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1939
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro One View Post
But I recommend that DibbleZee drives along the GEW, no holes in that highway's barriers.
You mean the barriers they've crudely placed in one of the left hand lanes? Yeah those don't have holes.

As for the rest of that road it doesn't have barriers at all in the middle. They cheaped out completely and just put a tiny median filled with shrubs in between the lanes.

BC is building now because for the last 40 years its put off all these necessary upgrades while every other region in north america was building and planning for the future Never mind building for the coming decades, BC is trying to build their highways to handle capacity numbers from 10 years ago. What a joke.

As for aesthetics our highways just look strange compared to others. Its not a lack of funds, its a lack of design unity with the rest of the continent. We'll spend the money bringing our highways up to our own twisted, inbread standards
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1940
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
BC is building now because for the last 40 years its put off all these necessary upgrades while every other region in north america was building and planning for the future Never mind building for the coming decades, BC is trying to build their highways to handle capacity numbers from 10 years ago. What a joke.
We'll have to start calling you Dibble "Jersey Barrier" Zee... Anyways, the commuting times in Vancouver Metro are very comparible to the other cities in Canada, and I've heard several times we have among the shortest average commute times of all the major Canadian cities. So, are we really behind that much?

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto