daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post
When Chriszwolle mentioned that, he tried to prove his point in our discussion about the E and A numbers in Belgium, while this has nothing to do with that discussion.
What is your problem man? The fact I mentioned that had NOTHING to do with that discussion, which has ended, for me.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:37 PM   #182
hix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What is your problem man? The fact I mentioned that had NOTHING to do with that discussion, which has ended, for me.
Clearly not. Why did you mention it than if it had nothing to do with the discussion? Another attempt to say someting bad about Belgium?
The discussion is over now over me. I hope you will not start again with your silly Bashing attempts...

I don't know why you hate Belgium so much. Maybe something bad happened in your youth? Try to be a little bit more objective and stop posting photo's that make my country look ridiculous.

Last edited by hix; July 31st, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:29 PM   #183
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Let's not overreact here.

I don't think Chriszwolle 'hates' Belgium.

We have to admit that the road infrastucture in Belgium could do better. Certainly in comparison to the Netherlands. The roads itself improved drastically over the last years, but unfortunately they did nothing about the roadsigns. I get also angry when I see very old and dirty signs. Authorities should replace those filthy old signs more rapidly.

On the other hand, I also get a bit annoyed by some Dutchies who think everything is better in their country. But I see this more as 'part of their culture'. Every single Dutch person I know (or met) is like this, so i'm a bit used to this.

A few weeks ago, I went to 'Rock Werchter' with some Dutch friends. On a numer of occasions they said 'in Holland this is so much better'.

ps: Rock Werchter is for the 4th time awarded as 'best festival in the world' in London. I'm sure those music industry people didn't visit Holland.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM   #184
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
and stop posting photo's that make my country look ridiculous.
well, if such photos exist because are show a part of reality?

and about that road number sign on the Ring:

This is my edited version of it, respecting the rules of the belgian system (number ahead and not below) as far as I know, but making it better understandable:

for comparison:

After this interchange, you are on the E40 which will overlapse the Ring. The E19 will join later, that's why it is somewhere else

Last edited by Patrick; July 31st, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:47 PM   #185
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I have better opınıon about belgıan motorways than about german or dutch ones Just A-numbers on sıngs and would be perfect
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM   #186
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

I was a bit bored, so...

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:45 PM   #187
hix
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
well, if such photos exist because are show a part of reality?

and about that road number sign on the Ring:

This is my edited version of it, respecting the rules of the belgian system (number ahead and not below) as far as I know, but making it better understandable:

for comparison:

After this interchange, you are on the E40 which will overlapse the Ring. The E19 will join later, that's why it is somewhere else
Great photoshopping and a super attempt to improve. But it is wrong. The number of the motorway this car is on is the RO (Brussels Ring), It is clearly marked on every sign on the ring. From the position this photo is taken you have two possibilities:

1. the first is to leave the R0 and go to the E40 (eastern branch) direction Brussels, Liège or Leuven.
2. the second one is to go straight ahead stayin on the ring 0 witch leads to the E19 to Antwerpen or the (western branch) E40 to Gent.

You basicly just have to follow the directions to the letter. You don't want to go to Liège, Leuven or Brussels? Than stay on the ring until the next interchange.

In Belgium you have 3 types of motorways: E-motorways, most of them are. A-motorways, only a handfull. motorways who do not have an E number. and last the R-motorways, whitch are the rings...

For me this is all very clear.

When I'm in Holland or in other neighbouring countries, like Germany, but not in France, I find it very anoying that it is impossible to know the destinations that are further ahead. I think that in Belgium the signs are very clear and they show also further (important) destinations For example, in Brussels there will be signs to Luxemburg and Paris while in the Netherlands they only show the nearest city.
Also in Belgium here are much more motorways than in any other country in the world. The lanes are wider and their are more lanes. The motorways are very well lit and the exits are long and well anounced. In the Netherland and Germany, driving at night is hell, in Belgium it is heaven!
Every time when I come back from a holliday, no matter from what direction I come, it is always a relieve to be back on Belgian motorways. It is pure luxury compaired whit the shit from France, the Netherlands and Germany.

It is true that in the last years there has been some neglect. But the fact remains that we have the most extended and most luxurious motorway system in the world.

And now: this discussion is closed for me.

Last edited by hix; August 1st, 2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:25 AM   #188
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
1. the first is to leave the R0 and go to the E40 (eastern branch) direction Brussels, Liège or Leuven.
2. the second one is to go straight ahead stayin on the ring 0 witch leads to the E19 to Antwerpen or the (western branch) E40 to Gent.
I got your point, but still prefer my editation Because when you take this sign as an example

(by Chris, I hope you don't mind I took it
you just don't know that you already are on the E40. that's the point of discussion and that's why I put it into the black box for showing that you already are on the E40.

Quote:
When I'm in Holland or in other neighbouring countries, like Germany, but not in France, I find it very anoying that it is impossible to know the destinations that are further ahead. I think that in Belgium the signs are very clear and they show also further (important) destinations For example, in Brussels there will be signs to Luxemburg and Paris while in the Netherlands they only show the nearest city.
I don't know about the Netherlands, but for Germany, it depends on where you are. Sometimes true, sometimes not.

Quote:
Also in Belgium here are much more motorways than in any other country in the world.

Quote:
The lanes are wider and their are more lanes.
how wide are they?
Quote:
The motorways are very well lit
true
Quote:
and the exits are long and well anounced.
if no tree is blocking the signs which are rather ugly. but that's personal taste.
Quote:
Every time when I come back from a holliday, no matter from what direction I come, it is always a relieve to be back on Belgian motorways. It is pure luxury compaired whit the shit from France, the Netherlands and Germany.
Have you ever come back via the motorway between St. Vith and Verviers? I guess not.

Quote:
It is true that in the last years there has been some neglect. But the fact remains that we have the most extended and most luxurious motorway system in the world. And if you find the E-signs difficult to understand, I'm sorry, but than you're an idiot...
I'll call you Radix from now on.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:03 AM   #189
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
It is true that in the last years there has been some neglect. But the fact remains that we have the most extended and most luxurious motorway system in the world.
That's rubbish. Pavement on Belgian motorways is bad.

Last edited by Verso; August 1st, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM   #190
hix
BANNED

Quote:
you just don't know that you already are on the E40.
You don't seem to understand that you are NOT on the E40! (I don't know howmany times I already said that) It's very clear that you are on the R0. and that you are approaching the interchange with the E40 to Liège. The E40 to Gent and the E19 to Antwerp are further ahead, that is also clearly marked.
(Well in your last picture, you are approaching another exit off course)

Quote:
I'll call you Radix from now on.
You can call me anything you like.

Last edited by hix; August 1st, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM   #191
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that you are NOT on the E40!
(Well in your last picture, you are approaching another exit off course)
radix, ok, better said, you have no possibilty not to get on the E40 when driving forward at this place (unless you make an u-turn and drive in the wrong direction ).
But you won't necessarily get on the E19 (when you take an exit before the interchange with E19). Got my point? As I said, I understand your point, and now I try to make you understand our point. You don't have to change your mind, but just understand why we think otherwise
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #192
hix
BANNED

Quote:
radix, ok, better said, you have no possibilty not to get on the E40 when driving forward at this place (unless you make an u-turn and drive in the wrong direction ).
Once more: NO. To get to the E40 you have to LEAVE the R0 at the interchange R0/E40 if you continue to drive forward, you will NEVER get on the E40. (unless you exit the ring)
Why is this so difficult to understand?
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #193
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Isn't the E40 overlapsing the R0 from this interchange to the interchange with E40 to Gent?
Is the E40 interupted in the Ring? Or goes the E40 through the innercity?
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #194
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
For people who are not familiair with the situation, a small map:

Blue = E19
Red = E40
Green spot = location of the picture.
so this is wrong? the red line shopuld go through the inner city or be interrupted? if so, I apologize, because I based my opinion on this map. I checked GoogleMaps and there, the E40 doesn't overlapse the ring. You could have spared us the whole discussion by telling us that this map is wrong, that was not clear, you were "just" telling something about directions

Then this would be the best solution in my opinion for that spot:

could you live with that?
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM   #195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Google Maps doesn't show concurrencies very well.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #196
hix
BANNED

Quote:
so this is wrong? the red line shopuld go through the inner city or be interrupted? if so, I apologize, because I based my opinion on this map. I checked GoogleMaps and there, the E40 doesn't overlapse the ring. You could have spared us the whole discussion by telling us that this map is wrong, that was not clear, you were "just" telling something about directions

Then this would be the best solution in my opinion for that spot:

could you live with that?
At the moment I'm at my job, and unfortenatly I cannot see your pictures here. (I see just the red cross)

But basicly, I said from the beginning that the R0 and the E40 are two different motorways. The sign on the R0 is IMO very clear. The name of the motorway is on top of the sign, the directions on the sign itself.
So, I'm happy you understand now, so I can get to work!
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM   #197
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Google Maps doesn't show concurrencies very well.
so then ViaMichelin is wrong aswell?

Last edited by Patrick; August 1st, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM   #198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Check out this beautiful site made by a forumer from the autosnelwegen forum:

http://www.wegen-routes.be/
(only available in Dutch and French).
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM   #199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Check out this beautiful site made by a forumer from the autosnelwegen forum:

http://www.wegen-routes.be/
(only available in Dutch and French).
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM   #200
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

nice site, especially the old photos are great!

but what do I see in the dossiers? The E40 is splitted. One part ends west of Bruxelles, the next part begins east of Bruxelles.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia