daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #2201
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

So no changes there then...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2202
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

So reportedly Jeremy Clarkson was recently filming in Bruges, keeping a supercar to the 30 km/h limit....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2203
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So reportedly Jeremy Clarkson was recently filming in Bruges, keeping a supercar to the 30 km/h limit....
And rightfully so, the cobbles would've probably wrecked the car otherwise
Old October 25th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2204
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

R0 Brussels

HLN reports that the Flemish government has decided to widen the northern part of R0 (Brussels Ring Road) to 10 lanes. It is currently a highly congested six lane facility.

An exception is the central part at Vilvoorde, which will remain with 2x3 lanes, only auxiliary lanes will be added to avoid having to replace or widen the Vilvoorde Viaduct.

Planned layout:

* E40 west - A12: 2+3+3+2
* A12 - E19: 2x4
* E19 - E40 east: 2+3+3+2

Construction is planned to start in 2016. Construction cost is estimated at a fairly low € 380 million. Some stretches already have local-express lanes near interchanges and a right-of-way is available elsewhere. The symmetrical widening also reduces cost (a-symmetrical widenings where the center of the road shifts are much more expensive). Only minor bridges need replacement or expansion.

indicative map:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2205
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E313 Hasselt

E313 in Hasselt, at opening in 1964 and today. Unfortunately many motorways in Belgium (and Germany) became such tree alleys without any connection to the landscape you're driving through.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Wapper, Moravian liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2206
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
[...] Unfortunately many motorways in Belgium (and Germany) became such tree alleys without any connection to the landscape you're driving through.
I think those trees were placed to reduce noise (which I have read somewhere doesn't work at all) and to make them less visible in the landscape. I personally don't see the need to hide them in the landscape and even think that the trees make them stand out even more...
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2207
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

All a question of point of view, I suppose: People on the road like to see the country they're driving through (at least I do); people in the country may not want to see the road....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2208
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Same in Austria, where they got carried away building these noise reduction walls. Belgium is boasting its ecological schemes.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2209
wc eend
Fremdkörper

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
E313 in Hasselt, at opening in 1964 and today. Unfortunately many motorways in Belgium (and Germany) became such tree alleys without any connection to the landscape you're driving through.

Indeed, you can cross the country from north to south without even seeing it. It's like a tunnel, basically.
wc eend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2210
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Can someone explain to me - as neutrally and objectively as possible - why the Brussels Capital Region's politicians (or some of them) are upset about the Ring widening? It's not on their territory (at least that part of the Ring) and I'd think it would keep some traffic off their streets. It's all over Belgian sites (in both languages) at the moment....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #2211
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Infact, they think it wil only bring more cars on the allready heavely conjested urban roads inside the RO.

However, I think indeed it will only improve the mobility in Brussels. The gridlock Brussels expieriences every day on the RO doesn't only harms economy in Flanders but also in Brussels. Same story with Antwerp.
Old October 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2212
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Brussels is much more congested than other cities of this size. Congestion is very intense there. Half of Belgium is dependent on that part of R0.

Other than that it's just the regular anti-car "arguments".

Moravian liked this post
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #2213
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

2013 Michelin Benelux road atlas (just arrived from De Zwerver in Groningen, since it doesn't seem to be sold here) shows a motorway under construction along the N5 corridor from just north of Couvin to the border. Does anyone know (or care...) what the A-number will be? I'm sure this is the E420. (And does France know this "European" route exists or will it just end at the border?) When will it open, not that I'm going to be using it myself in the near future?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #2214
Glodenox

Quote:
Can someone explain to me - as neutrally and objectively as possible - why the Brussels Capital Region's politicians (or some of them) are upset about the Ring widening? It's not on their territory (at least that part of the Ring) and I'd think it would keep some traffic off their streets. It's all over Belgian sites (in both languages) at the moment....
The arguments I've seen them use are (along with my comments):
  • They were part of the discussions involving the project and agreed on that solution when it was part of a bigger package of changes (more public transport and such). Now they feel that the Flemish government has single-handedly decided to just do the optimization/widening of the R0.
    Counterargument: on the same day, 3 tram lines in that region were approved as well as the funding for 400 km of cycle paths.
  • This enlargement will only attract more traffic, decreasing mobility.
    Counterargument: first off, it's not an enlargement everywhere. On several stretches it's just an optimization of the road situation. Secondly, I'd be glad if it pulls the cars from the secondary network that shouldn't be there back on the motorways.
  • It'll deteriorate the health of everybody living nearby
    Counterargument: I don't know the exact numbers, but cars standing still are said to pollute more. If this optimization/widening decreases the traffic jams, it'll probably even be beneficial.
  • For the past 15 years, we've just been paving more roads, yet they keep on getting clogged. We should look solely into alternatives like public transport and cycling.
    Counterargument: For the past 15 years, zero euros have been spent on widening the R0 or practically any motorway in Belgium. And looking just at providing alternatives would take at least a decade to have an effect as people would have to adjust their habits. A combination of the two would be much more effective.
  • The main problem is the huge amount of company cars being used by people on the streets. The government should stop "subsidizing" them (I think companies don't have to pay taxes on those advantages they give to their employees or so?)
    Counterargument: none from me, I fully agree with this. If you just use the car to get to your work, I don't see why companies should be providing cars.

I may have missed a few arguments, but those are the ones I've seen floating by the most.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2215
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:

I pas on that bridge few times a week. To add to the greenery they have now also placed 3 meter hight steel walls...Feels like driving in a ditch with greenery above. The row of houses you see in the old pic is still there, they are along the old road between Hasselt and Stevoort. You can see on GE how is was cut off and this brigde constructed a bit further...

Last edited by joshsam; October 27th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2216
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

About the N5 corridor (in French): http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/...708def0d95da31

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2217
sotonsi

Quote:
Does anyone know (or care...) what the A-number will be?
A5, I believe.
Quote:
I'm sure this is the E420.
It is
Quote:
And does France know this "European" route exists or will it just end at the border?
They do know it exists (as they would have had to approve it), they just don't currently sign it.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2218
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Ta.

Of course, since it's west of the E25, that "2" as a second digit is actually incorrect....

EDIT: Now that I think of it, so's the E429.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 28th, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2219
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R0 BXL

Let's take a closer look at the R0 widening around the capital.

We'll move from west to east (Groot-Bijgaarden to Sint-Stevens-Woluwe). First of all, virtually all of the project is within Flanders. Only a small segment of this part of R0 is part of Brussels, west of the Vilvoorde Viaduct.

1. This is the Groot-Bijgaarden interchange with E40 towards Gent. A local-express setup already exists until the first interchange. No work is needed here. Then there is a narrow and highly congested 2x3 segment.

2. This is near Wemmel. The 2x3 R0 will be widened to 2+3+3+2 lanes, by adding local lanes until the A12 interchange. This is the tightest part, though it will likely not require demolition of buildings. The buildings closest to the motorway are commercial buildings, not residences.

3. This is near the Expo and the unconventional A12 interchange. Again, a short local-express feature already exists here. The segment that actually needs new local lanes is only 3.5 kilometers long.

4. This segment will remain largely untouched. The forest in the right part of the photo are a part of Brussels.

5. The most expensive part to widen would be the replacement or widening of the Vilvoorde Viaduct, a large high-clearance viaduct across the Brussels-Schelde Canal. No physical changes will be done to the viaduct, but the shoulders will be turned into auxiliary lanes.

6. This is the segment between the Machelen interchange (E19) and Zaventem interchange (A201) near the airport. There is a nasty merge between the two interchanges, which will be unweaved with local/express lanes.

7. The final segment already has a short local-express setup, that will be extended south to the Sint-Stevens-Woluwe interchange with E40.
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2220
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

E17 Kortrijk - Gent:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia