daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #2221
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
E313 in Hasselt, at opening in 1964 and today. Unfortunately many motorways in Belgium (and Germany) became such tree alleys without any connection to the landscape you're driving through.

I would surmise that it's to visually screen the motorway from areas next to said motorway. Though I can only speak for myself, I rather like it. This is common near Vancouver, Canada, despite motorway expansion (Trans Canada Highway 1) there.

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2222
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Night pictures of E313xE314 Lummen

Tipical urbanized country side of Belgium at night:

snowdog, CarltonHill, Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; November 14th, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #2223
Redouane

Likes (Received): 25

When is Belgium gonna come with a new signage system? The current one is outdated, and alot of light's inside are broken. Making them unreadable at night..
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2224
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

I haven't heard anything yet about an update to the signage scheme, so I'm doubting we'll see anything being done about that soon.
As for the illuminated signs: those get fixed once in a while, usually a lot faster if someone reports the problem.
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2225
Redouane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
I haven't heard anything yet about an update to the signage scheme, so I'm doubting we'll see anything being done about that soon.
As for the illuminated signs: those get fixed once in a while, usually a lot faster if someone reports the problem.
Yeah in Vlaanderen, have you ever been to Wallonie? Almost all sign's are broken there, and it looks like they really not give a shit about it..
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2226
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Ah, that I don't know. It's been a while since I've been on a motorway in Wallonia at night. It does seem that the road maintenance in Wallonia is quite a problem. Seeing they like introducing "Marshall plans", they should have one for the motorways. But I fear that it'd just be a one-off then.
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #2227
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Time for the whole of Belgium to step into the 21st century though, and modernise their roadsigns. A new font perhaps, get rid of those insect-covered lamp-signs and replace them with illuminated foil, and make an extra effort with those road markings...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #2228
Redouane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Time for the whole of Belgium to step into the 21st century though, and modernise their roadsigns. A new font perhaps, get rid of those insect-covered lamp-signs and replace them with illuminated foil, and make an extra effort with those road markings...
True, the signs are really outdated.. I mean even most country's in Africa have modern sign's.. :p

Example: (Algeria)
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2229
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redouane View Post
Yeah in Vlaanderen, have you ever been to Wallonie? Almost all sign's are broken there, and it looks like they really not give a shit about it..
They probably aren't reported.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2230
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

You'd think they'd be checked periodically.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2231
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Most countries have road inspectors that clear the road of debris and check malfunctions on a daily basis.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2232
joshsam
JR

judging by the blown tires lying around on the sides on our highways.... :sad:
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2233
Brussels1
Brussels1

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most countries have road inspectors that clear the road of debris and check malfunctions on a daily basis.
When rolling on Europe's motorways I do not see the a big difference between Belgium and the other surrounding countries when it comes to maintenance.

On the Belgian motorway network in general I believe it is one of the most adequate in Europe. The problem during the last decade (s?) has been the maintanance but serious efforts are made to catch up, also in Wallonia which you must havce noticed if travelling through Belgium lately.
Brussels1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2234
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No I haven't.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2235
joshsam
JR

Me neither, especially not in Wallonia and especially NOT on the Walloon part of the Brussels R0 and the E25/A26.

Some stretches have been redone of our highways in the recent years but only to see other stretches that where fine before now neglected...

And to come back to the Walloon part of the Brussels R0, it's a ******* disgrace to even call that a highway. You can't even drive 90km/h unless you want to wreck your car.

What I do notice is the gap between Germany and Belgium getting smaller. German highways are getting worse all the time...

To quote davidoff: this is a good part of highway and I wished every highway looked like this as standard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviedoff View Post
E17 Kortrijk - Gent:
Old November 27th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2236
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

The situation in Flanders has improved over the last years, no one can deny this. But the gap with other countries still exists. Luckily the improvements are still going on. If I remember correctly, in 2016 our highways should be at the same level as in other Western European countries. At least, that's what the Flemish ministry of infrastructure promised...

But what annoys me: all the attention goes to the road surface, while all the rest (roadsigns, crash barriers, etc) are forgotten. There are far too many old roadsigns still standing. They should be replaced with new ones with a totally new design, typeface, etc. That would make the 'look' of our highways a lot more modern. Because these oldfashioned roadsigns (many even broken, dirty,...) make our highway system look outdated. A new, modern road with old roadsigns or rusty crash barriers still doesn't look good.

bozenBDJ liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2237
Redouane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
The situation in Flanders has improved over the last years, no one can deny this. But the gap with other countries still exists. Luckily the improvements are still going on. If I remember correctly, in 2016 our highways should be at the same level as in other Western European countries. At least, that's what the Flemish ministry of infrastructure promised...

But what annoys me: all the attention goes to the road surface, while all the rest (roadsigns, crash barriers, etc) are forgotten. There are far too many old roadsigns still standing. They should be replaced with new ones with a totally new design, typeface, etc. That would make the 'look' of our highways a lot more modern. Because these oldfashioned roadsigns (many even broken, dirty,...) make our highway system look outdated. A new, modern road with old roadsigns or rusty crash barriers still doesn't look good.
Can't agree more..
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2238
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Belgium: 130 cars crash in fog; at least 1 dead

BRUSSELS (AP) — More than 130 vehicles were involved in three pileups at a highway in western Belgium in a dense morning fog Tuesday, leaving at least one dead and 76 injured.

Medical workers struggled to free injured passengers from the twisted metal of their vehicles for hours after the crash, troubled by continuing fog, which made emergency rescue by helicopter impossible.

The provincial governor, Carl Decaluwe, said one person had died, and that among the injured, five were in life-threatening condition while 11 sustained serious injuries.

The highway in Zonnebeke, linking the regional industrial hub of Kortrijk to nearby Ieper, was strewn with debris in three locations close to one another. The damp and cold conditions in early December often create fog, but drivers said it felt like a white wall of fog suddenly appeared, and immediately decreased virtually all visibility[...]
more here
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2239
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

E19 Mechelen

The E19 Bridge across the Leuven - Dijle Canal is wider than the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge (eastern span). The San Francisco Bridge is 78.7 meters wide. The E19 bridge is 82.5 m wide.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2240
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Didn't they build it with a future rail alignment in place? There are several wide bridges and a wide ROW all the way north up to Berchem.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgiŰ, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia