daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #2261
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

A11 - U/C

Promotion movie of the A11.
Needed for expansion of the Sea Port in Bruges.
The local roads are badly conjested:

(only Dutch but good visualisation)

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2014, 04:47 PM   #2262
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

A11 - that'll connect to the A11/E34 toward Antwerp? (Don't have time for the video...) Is there a map of this project?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

joshsam liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2263
joshsam
JR

Here is a plan. I'm afriad afther building this there will still be a missing between the newly A11 and the the A11 towards Antwerp.

The A11/E34 becomes the N 49 afther the intersection with the R4 in Ghent. It then becomes a local Expressway (speed limit may vary between 90 and 120 km/h) with 2X2 configuration and same level crossings, like Belgium has many.

The N49 continues towards Knokke-Heist. The new A11 will be connected with the N49 just before Knokke, in Westkapelle where the N376 (2x1) currently meets the N49. The way it looks the N376 in direction of the Sea port will remain as a normal road and be bypassed by the new A11 wich will follow and exact parrallel route untill it meets the N348 ,where it will split from the origional route N376. The new A11 will then divert towards the 'havenrandweg'. The havenrandweg will be reconstructed to a full motorway. Afther that it will connect to the A17/403 in Bruges.

From West to East the new A11 will be connected with the:
-A17/E403
- Zeelaan/N31 (extension of the A17, dual carage way without median, speed limit 70-90km/h)
- exit on the N348 near Dudzele
- N350 (the main connector to the RORO port of Sea Bruges)
-exit on the N300 near Ramskapelle
- Connection to the N49 near Westkapelle.

Obstructions:
-A tunnel under the section between the N376 and N374 south of Westkapelle. Both roads will not connect directly on the A11.

-A Bridge over the Leopold Canal and the Bangelroeke Canal (mainly only leisure today, little industrial traffic) wich run parallel.
-Bridge across the Boudewijn Canal (the main shipping canal between the Sea port of Bruges and the inland port of Bruges and mayor inalnd shipping route towards Ghent)
-In the same area two railways and numerous buildings and famers houses.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; January 21st, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #2264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

2014 road works

137 kilometers of the Flemish motorway network will be renovated in 2014, in 23 separate work zones, totaling € 109.5 million.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

lafreak84 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #2265
bogdymol
bogdymod

I read an article on the internet stating that Belgium authorities want to tax the drivers depending on the amount of km they drive. The tax will be different, depending on the hour (7-9 a.m. and 16-18 will be more expensive) and the road type they drive.

Here's the article: leblogauto.com (in French language).

Is this proposal really going to happen?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #2266
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

They're just doing a short test now on checking how technically feasible it is. No decision has been made yet. I don't really expect it'll get through as only the green party seems to be backing it and elections are coming up soon.

An article in English: http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.1865243
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #2267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oosterweel Connection, Antwerpen

Flemish newspaper GVA reports that the Oosterweel Connection, the completion of beltway R1, is the best solution for traffic problems in the city of Antwerpen, according to the 2000+ page draft EIS.

There were three major options;

* BAM alignment (Oosterweel)
* Meccano alignment
* Oosterweel North Alternative

All three variants are effective but the BAM/Oosterweel alternative is the best option.

A final decision will possibly be made next Friday, according to GVA. It would be by far the largest road project in Belgium in 25 years.
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2268
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Is this proposal really going to happen?
This sort of thing comes up every few years in the UK. And in other Western European countries too (the EU seems keen on it long term, though even they realise that it is going to be a hard sell to get the populus to agree to cars being tracked, so member states keep floating it in the hope that someone will bite eventually). It always eventually falls flat on it's face.

I believe it is an idea to make money off of cars as fuel consumption decreases and alternate energy sources (electric, hybrid) get more popular. And also do a bit of demand spreading to give disincentive to drive at busy times (and on busy roads - certain roads might warrant a premium) - though quite why they haven't realised that driving at busy times is disincentive enough...

It's also a way of justifying Galileo that isn't "we can't trust those Americans to keep GPS on" paranoia/xenophobia/isolationism - Galileo would become the satellite system used to track position.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #2269
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Flemish newspaper GVA reports that the Oosterweel Connection, the completion of beltway R1, is the best solution for traffic problems in the city of Antwerpen, according to the 2000+ page draft EIS.

* Meccano alignment

All three variants are effective but the BAM/Oosterweel alternative is the best option.

A final decision will possibly be made next Friday, according to GVA. It would be by far the largest road project in Belgium in 25 years.
I'm completely lost now if they'll build a tunnel or a bridge? I didn't even know they were still planning to close the R1 I though they where now doing studies to convert the R11 into a full motorway wich would take a lot of traffic driving driving on the R1 today....
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #2270
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

* Meccano alignment

IF they ever start on it... The first ideas of this new connection came around 1997... The proposal with a bridge was abandoned in 2008 due the public referendum.

You can folow this sage in our Belgian road section
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #2271
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Having experienced the R0 I can agree R1 is badly needed and also R11 improvements The Antwerp motorways though did seem to be well made, just too few for the area's needs.

I wonder though how a complete R1 would be signed, "Ring Antwerpen" already is on R0. Maybe... "Grootring Antwerpen" or I would like to say, "Antwerpsegrootring" ? Tweestring Antwerpen?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #2272
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Having experienced the R0 I can agree R1 is badly needed and also R11 improvements The Antwerp motorways though did seem to be well made, just too few for the area's needs. I wonder though how a complete R1 would be signed, "Ring Antwerpen" already is on R0. Maybe... "Grootring Antwerpen" or I would like to say, "Antwerpsegrootring" ? Tweestring Antwerpen?
R0 = ring Brussels
R1 = ring Antwerp (now 3/4 round, Will be completed)
R2 = great ring Antwerp (only part between E34 and A12 with liefkenshoek scheldt tunnel)
R10 = singel city ringroad between city and R1
R11 = "krijgsbaan" city ringroad between E34/E313 and A12

So, oosterweel connection will just be R1, ring of Antwerp ;-)
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #2273
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

You're right, I was confused between R1 and R2, too much good Vlaamsebier on offer over there I still have some Duvel and de Koninck I smuggled out of the country in my fridge.

Meurisse liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #2274
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R1 Antwerpen

The Flemish government has chosen to construct the Oosterweel Connection to complete the R1 ring road in Antwerpen.

Some interesting points;

* Merksem Viaduct will be replaced by a tunnel under the Albert Canal.
* tolls on all three motorway tunnels, but the Kennedy Tunnel will remain toll free for light vehicles.
* no truck ban in the Kennedy Tunnel, research shows this is counterproductive.
* the local Waasland Tunnel remains toll free
* construction is planned for 2016-2022
* cost: € 3.2 billion
* main tunnel: 2x3 lanes
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2275
joshsam
JR

the tunnel will be 2x3 lanes while the current viaduct is 2x 4 lanes and traffic jams on the viaduct are frequent

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #2276
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The tunnel under the Schelde River will feature 2x3 lanes. That's six more lanes crossing the river than the current situation.

It's unclear to me how many lanes the Albert Canal Tunnel will feature, I've read about 14 lanes, but I haven't seen any good designs.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #2277
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
the tunnel will be 2x3 lanes while the current viaduct is 2x 4 lanes and traffic jams on the viaduct are frequent
THE viaduct will be replaced by 2 x 3+2. At sportpaleis, together with a new exit it will be 18lanes

Main Scheldt tunnel is 2x3. Then it splits into 2 tunnels of 2x 2 each
Old February 15th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2278
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post

updated images:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurisse View Post

wkiehl101 liked this post
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2279
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5822

Very interesting. But I do not understatement the third picture of the new situation. Where does the traffic from or to the North go? In the current situation that is clearly visible. I don't see it in the picture of the New situation? Or am I messing something here?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2280
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

I think, we did not see detailed plans yet:

2x 2lanes on the left and right will be the lanes towards Oosterweel, they will be laid on top of each other on the bottom of Albert Canal/Straatsburgdok towards the new exit 'Oosterweel' at Noordkasteel.

The central 2x 3 (or 4?) lanes in the middle will lead, also on top of each other towards North, exit 'Luchtbal'

EPA001 liked this post
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia