daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #2281
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurisse View Post
I think, we did not see detailed plans yet:

2x 2lanes on the left and right will be the lanes towards Oosterweel, they will be laid on top of each other on the bottom of Albert Canal/Straatsburgdok towards the new exit 'Oosterweel' at Noordkasteel.

The central 2x 3 (or 4?) lanes in the middle will lead, also on top of each other towards North, exit 'Luchtbal'
OK. I guess you are right and we will have to wait to see the further detailled plans.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #2282
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I also have another question, how will ships gain acces to the Lobroek dock? In the rendering it seems they just cut off from the Albert Canal.

The Lobroek dock isn't used for much these days except for storing rotting ships and de industry around it doesn't need water acces.

Maybe recreational area?

Last edited by joshsam; February 15th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #2283
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Flemish government has chosen to construct the Oosterweel Connection to complete the R1 ring road in Antwerpen.

* tolls on all three motorway tunnels, but the Kennedy Tunnel will remain toll free for light vehicles.
Will someone going all the way around have to stop three times to pay tolls?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #2284
BenjiMan

Likes (Received): 13

I assume they will use a electronic tolling system
BenjiMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #2285
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So only people who don't have the right pass (like...anyone from outside Belgium) will have to stop three times.

(Seriously, I gather from what I read around here that there isn't a pan-European tolling system yet.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #2286
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4822

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I also have another question, how will ships gain acces to the Lobroek dock? In the rendering it seems they just cut off from the Albert Canal.

The Lobroek dock isn't used for much these days except for storing rotting ships and de industry around it doesn't need water acces.

Maybe recreational area?
That dock isn't in use since a few years. It's also often no more than 1 or 2 meters deep because of (very) toxic slib... Today there are no ships in it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Will someone going all the way around have to stop three times to pay tolls?
And why would you do that? I think you'll have to pay 3 times. And it will probably an electronic toll systems. By 2016 Belgium will have a toll system for trucks so a little effort then to have toll on these 3 tunnels.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #2287
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Why would I do that? I don't know. I hadn't seen a detailed plan when I wrote that. But judging from the detailed plan on page 4 of today's Standaard (PDF edition; can't find it elsewhere on the site), someone wanting to go from east of the city to the E34 towards Zelzate either hits all three tunnels or goes around the long way, south of the city.

EDIT: or am I misunderstanding: Are the "Oosterweeltunnels (in plaats van Lange Wapperbrug)" and "Tunnel in plaats van brug onder Albertkanaal" toll-free? I thought those two and the Nieuwe Scheldetunnel were the three Chris was referring to. But the plan only mentions a toll on the latter (and the Kennedy, and the Liefkenshoek, which is off the map.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #2288
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Toll only on the tunnels beneath scheldt (Kennedy, oosterweel, liefkenshoek)

Not clear about the tunnel beneath albertcanal

Penn's Woods liked this post
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2289
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The Federal police last night carried out massive checks on drivers on the A12 Brussels - Boom - Antwerp Motorway. Nearly a quarter of motorists were found to be over the legal drink-drive limit.

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...rpen__bijna_ee
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM   #2290
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Here's something:

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20140221_00991465

"Vlaams minister van Mobiliteit Hilde Crevits (CD&V) heeft een nieuwe autosnelweg aangekondigd. De A11 wordt de ‘missing link’ tussen Brugge en Knokke-Heist.

"Op 22 maart beginnen de werkzaamheden aan de nieuwe snelweg, die 12 kilometer lang is en in het najaar van 2017 moet af zijn. De A11 moet de haven van Zeebrugge beter ontsluiten, de veiligheid en leefbaarheid van de regio vergroten en vlot verkeer van en naar de kust mogelijk maken.

"De nieuwe snelweg zal het Vlaamse polderlandschap doorkruisen. Volgens Crevits zal dat gebeuren met respect voor de buurtbewoners, de landbouw en de natuur. Er is ook aan de fietsers gedacht. Dankzij 15 km nieuwe fietspaden zouden zij veilig van het ene naar het andere polderdorp moeten kunnen rijden, zonder dat de nieuwe snelweg een obstakel vormt.

"De minister belooft dat het Agentschap Wegen en Verkeer alle mogelijke inspanningen zal doen om de hinder te beperken. Vanaf eind 2015 wordt er echter grotere hinder verwacht. Om die te beperken, worden tunnels nooit gelijktijdig afgesloten. Ook zullen rijstroken zo weinig mogelijk versmald worden.

"Voor informatie heeft Crevits de website www.A11verbindt.be gelanceerd."

Someone else can translate and/or summarize. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2291
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Someone else can translate and/or summarize. :-)
Flemish minister of Mobility Hilde CRevits (CD&V) has announced a new highway. The A11 will fill in the missing link between Brugge and Knokke-Heist

On March 22nd construction will commence on the new highway, which is 12 kilometers long and should be finished on the end of 2017. The A11 is being built to make the port of Zeebrugge better accessible by car/truck, improve the safety and livability of the area and provide smooth traffic from and to the shore.

The new highway will cross the Flemish polder-landscape. According to Crevits this will happen with respect for local inhabitants, agricultur and nature. Cyclists weren't forgotten either. Thanks to 15 kilometers of new cyclepaths they should be able to move from one village to the other withoutthe new highway forming an obstacle

The minister promises that the 'Agentschap voor Wegen en Verkeer' (literally: Agency for Roads and Traffic) will do everything to limit nuisance. Starting 2015 however, a lot of nuisance is expected. To limit this, tunnels will never be closed at the same time. The lanes open to traffic will also be made as wide as possible (preventing narrower lanes when possible)

For more information Crevits has opened the website www.A11verbindt.be.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #2292
Karnoit

Likes (Received): 1569

A nice pix of the E25 highway

8/52 Leading Lines par Christian_Philippe, sur Flickr

Moravian liked this post
Karnoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #2293
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

For those who understand Dutch: http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20140221_00991251

I didn't watch the video, did read the text:

Veel van de dubbele rotondes in ons land zullen verdwijnen omdat ze nutteloos en zelfs gevaarlijk zijn. Dubbele rotondes zijn ronde punten met twee of meer rijvakken Sommige van die rotondes waren aangelegd om files te op te lossen, maar vaak zorgen ze voor nog meer file omdat mensen alleen maar de buitenste rijstrook durven nemen uit schrik dat ze anders gaan botsen met vrachtwagens of bussen.

My rough translation: "Many of the double roundabouts in [Belgium] will disappear because they are unnecessary and even dangerous. Double roundabouts are roundabouts with two or more lanes. Some of the roundabouts were built to solve traffic jams but often the (cause?) more jams because people only drive in the outermost lane out of fear that otherwise they'd collide with trucks or buses."

Doesn't say what authority is going to eliminate them or cite any figures for its conclusions, though.

(Really, why am I the one who's posting stuff from the Standaard around here...?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #2294
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
(Really, why am I the one who's posting stuff from the Standaard around here...?)
I guess you're the only one that reads 'De Standaard'
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2295
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

I don't really have the habit of immediately posting such things in here. I'll try to do that more often.
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2296
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Because I already posted it in our local section

What they're about to do is to remove the painted lines on the double-lanes-roundabouts, no more than that. No plans to upgrade them to "turbo-roundabouts" so far...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Meurisse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #2297
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

I commented on it in the U.S. thread where Penn's Woods also posted it; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=2374

Basically, two-lane roundabouts (non-turbo roundabouts) perform poorly. This is because of the inefficient use of it and fear among motorist to use the left lane, so people who drive on the right lane may turn off right, could continue straight through or even turn left. This creates possible conflicts, especially if straight through traffic is heavy.

Turning it into wide single lane roundabouts is a bit unorthodox, perhaps inspired by the huge unmarked traffic circles in Paris.

Basically, three solutions are possible;
* turn it into a turbo roundabout. Leads to more efficient use and predictable behavior. Requires complete reconstruction if done properly.
* narrow the road to single lane just before the roundabout. Only possible with low volumes. Relatively cheap.
* turn it into a signalized intersection. Preferred if it is a busy road with a lot of through traffic. Substantial investment needed, plus operational costs of traffic lights.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #2298
joshsam
JR

N80 (2x2), 120km/h, roundabout just before Hasselt where it meets with ramps of the E313 is an extremely dangerous roundabout. It's a two lane roundabout with very heavy traffic.

On both sides of the roundabout waiting times can be 15mins or longer during rush hour; Collisions happen almost on a daily base and it won't be the first time I see people freaking out on that roundabout including road rage, leaving the vehicule ect ect...

this compilation shows the particular roundabout around 0:44 and you can easely see the problem.....people can't hold their lane...

Klausenburg liked this post
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2299
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Basically, three solutions are possible;
* turn it into a turbo roundabout. Leads to more efficient use and predictable behavior. Requires complete reconstruction if done properly.
* narrow the road to single lane just before the roundabout. Only possible with low volumes. Relatively cheap.
* turn it into a signalized intersection. Preferred if it is a busy road with a lot of through traffic. Substantial investment needed, plus operational costs of traffic lights.
Or a fourth, which is a bit harder:
*develop a driving culture that doesn't get confused by two-lane roundabouts.

Two-lane roundabouts work in the UK, whereas Turbo roundabouts just confuse people (despite always being signalised, and typically very well marked as to what lane goes where, I've never been through one without seeing someone who is in the wrong lane). I like Turbo Roundabouts, but they are confusing for a nation taught to use multi-lane roundabouts properly.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #2300
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Or a fourth, which is a bit harder:
*develop a driving culture that doesn't get confused by two-lane roundabouts.
I don't think 2 lane roundabouts confuse people. I think it's a matter of being attend and having awareness of the other people driving around you, and we all know in Belgian traffic you are on your own, you have to fight your way through the traffic and hold your ground. Courtesy in the traffic doesn't exist overhere. It's not just the roundabout.

The Belgian government started a campain for the driving behavior. It's about the fact that many people just drive wreckless.

"Minder zuur achter het stuur"

"less acidic behind the wheel" A better translation would be 'angry' or 'furious'.

The campain against the Belgian road aggression and lack of following the rules of the road: (dutch only but you can see the 4 most annoying things you are guaranteed to run into when driving our roads)

Here is the radio edit about the campain: (Dutch only)

Last edited by joshsam; February 26th, 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia