daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #2301
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Or a fourth, which is a bit harder:
*develop a driving culture that doesn't get confused by two-lane roundabouts.

Two-lane roundabouts work in the UK, whereas Turbo roundabouts just confuse people (despite always being signalised, and typically very well marked as to what lane goes where, I've never been through one without seeing someone who is in the wrong lane). I like Turbo Roundabouts, but they are confusing for a nation taught to use multi-lane roundabouts properly.
But overall the two lane roundabout is pretty odd with the concentric lane marking. How is that thing supposed to actually work? (rather... what do you do in the inner lane?)

The type with the lane markings that try and send the outer ring in tangential directions (ie straight or right, or straight and left for UK) while left (right) turns are for the inner circle seem easier to figure out... but still a bit of a leap of faith not to have your door smashed
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #2302
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2453

@joshsam: It's an original and good campaign "minder zuur achter 't stuur". But these things are not limited to Belgian roads only. It's a general thing. Also in the Netherlands, France, ... people often don't use indicators, ...
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #2303
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Basically, two-lane roundabouts (non-turbo roundabouts) perform poorly. This is because of the inefficient use of it and fear among motorist to use the left lane, so people who drive on the right lane may turn off right, could continue straight through or even turn left. This creates possible conflicts, especially if straight through traffic is heavy.

Turning it into wide single lane roundabouts is a bit unorthodox, perhaps inspired by the huge unmarked traffic circles in Paris.

Basically, three solutions are possible;
* turn it into a turbo roundabout. Leads to more efficient use and predictable behavior. Requires complete reconstruction if done properly.
* narrow the road to single lane just before the roundabout. Only possible with low volumes. Relatively cheap.
* turn it into a signalized intersection. Preferred if it is a busy road with a lot of through traffic. Substantial investment needed, plus operational costs of traffic lights.
Drivers behaviour in a multi-lane roundabout is no less predictable. Drivers in the right hand lane can only turn left where this is clearly marked. Such a design is rare, however. In most other case is the left lane for left-turns, the right lane for right-turn and both lanes for straight-on traffic or maybe the middle and right hand lane for the latter. I really don't know where you see difficulties with multi-lane roundabouts. They work pretty fine actually. They are in fact the saving grace for the entire British road network.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #2304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

R4 Gent

A new segment of R4 opened to traffic in Gent.

The southern part of R4 around Gent consists of two one-way roads on either side of the canal. However, a part of the eastbound road was missing, forcing motorists to take strange detour routes near Zwijnaarde.

The currently opened segment of R4 utilizes a new bridge across the canal and the offramp of the eastbound road extension.

Map:

Google Earth:

Bridge:
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #2305
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Question...

What are the names of lighting column manufacturers who made those curvy steel poles on Belgian motorways and highways (seen with Schreder GSO as an example)?
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #2306
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2453

I know Baert en Zonen which is a big player in lighting poles. But there are several.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #2307
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Hello, isn't any of you familiar with this building? It is probably in Belgium and was shot in 1930.

High resolultion version HERE.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2308
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

There are probably hundreds of churches like those in Belgium... I can't tell.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #2309
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Drivers behaviour in a multi-lane roundabout is no less predictable. Drivers in the right hand lane can only turn left where this is clearly marked. Such a design is rare, however. In most other case is the left lane for left-turns, the right lane for right-turn and both lanes for straight-on traffic or maybe the middle and right hand lane for the latter. I really don't know where you see difficulties with multi-lane roundabouts. They work pretty fine actually. They are in fact the saving grace for the entire British road network.

It depends on whether the design is older or more recent.

The image above compares two designs in the UK. Both allow traffic approaching on the left lane to go straight ahead (the green line), whilst right turning traffic can simultaneously turn right (the yellow line). The top image is an older design. The bottom image is a new design built to the latest standards.

On the latter newer design the much tighter approach angles and deflections (as required by standards) is supposed to slow traffic down as you are expected to turn sharply as you enter the roundabout to keep to the correct lane, rather than the old design that almost guides you in a more natural line into the correct path. As the green and yellow lines show people will still want to take a more natural line and the new layout shows how it encourages drives to take a racing line across the roundabout. This is dangerous as there are far too many numpties that will move across all lanes to go straight ahead without checking whether there is someone alongside them turning right.

Thanks to this backward step in design standards, I've nearly been sideswiped many times on these types of roundabouts. The geometry in attempting to slow traffic just encourages traffic to appropriate them badly.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #2310
Filou
Urban dweller

Likes (Received): 2543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Hello, isn't any of you familiar with this building? It is probably in Belgium and was shot in 1930.
Why do you think this is in Belgium? Doesn't look Belgian too me. And the cars drive at the left hand side of the road.
Edit: maybe Sweden?

Last edited by Filou; March 19th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Filou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #2311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E313 Viaduc de Boirs

The regional newspaper Het Belang van Limburg reports the E313 Viaduc de Boirs will reopen with all lanes in the next week. The 1964 viaducts have been replaced, a job which took 7 years. The project was critized for its slow approach. The old viaducts were in very poor condition with chunks of concrete falling down and rebar being visible. They were judged to be beyond repair. There was a 7-year 2-0 workzone, but there wasn't much congestion due to the low traffic volumes (<20,000 vehicles per day).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Klausenburg, snowdog, Moravian liked this post
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #2312
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Thanks for posting that info. I been there every summer since 2010 and I was always rather suprised that they were still working on that road and that it seem to take years. I always thought it took so long because the E313 crossed the Flemish-Walloon border around the Viaduc de Boirs.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:20 AM   #2313
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4186

Some pics

image hosted on flickr

Viaduct A13-E313 @ Boirs by Johny Brauns, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0203 by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0211 by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

Glodenox, Klausenburg, snowdog, Wapper liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A11 Brugge - Westkapelle

Construction of the new A11 officially began today. This is the first new greenfield motorway in Belgium in nearly 15 years. The new motorway is 12 kilometers long and improves access to the Port of Zeebrugge. The new motorway is planned to open in late 2017.

http://www.a11verbindt.be/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Klausenburg liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2315
piotr71

Mouscron-Belgian suburbs of Lille.

joshsam, Klausenburg liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #2316
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou View Post
Why do you think this is in Belgium? Doesn't look Belgian too me. And the cars drive at the left hand side of the road.
Edit: maybe Sweden?
Because I found it in a photo album where the rest of images were surely made in Belgium. And actually the architecture style, too, is quite Belgian-Dutch.
Old March 24th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #2317
Filou
Urban dweller

Likes (Received): 2543

Can you say something about the other pictures? Were they all in the same region? And are the cars driving at the right side of the street?

Last edited by Filou; March 24th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Filou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #2318
Attus

Sorry, I don't want to conduct an abszolute off topic discussion in this thread, it was only a quick try :-)
You may be right about left side traffic, however it is possible that the image was processed in a mirrored way. If I check the clock of the tower, it seems to be mirrored. If the image is mirrored, it means that the cars actually drive in the right side.

All the rest of the album are definitely photos about the World Fair of 1930, Liege and Antwerpen. None of them has any cars.

Actually, I don't think it's a church. It seems much more to be a town hall or something similar, photograhped from aside. The main facade is in the left hand side of the picture. Possibly neogothic style, 19th century, but it is only a guess :-) I checked lots of buildings in Belgium and even in the Netherlands but did not find anything, so I asked here, hoping that perhaps someone recognizes it immediately. It didn't happen. Life goes on :-)

Last edited by Attus; March 24th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2319
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

It could be a belfry (bell tower and townhall), but that would narrow the search down a lot. There are only 56 belfries in French Flanders and Belgium.
However, belfries are much older than the building in the picture and usually situates on an central square of the city.

This looks like a suburban church

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_map.svg.png
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2320
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

I've wake up from my winter sleep, so a bunch of new videos!

Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia