daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #2341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

R4 Gent

Some photos of the new part of R4 at Gent (see previous post).

DSC_0010.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0024.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0015.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0027.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0063.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0072.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0077.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0094.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0103.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #2342
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I assume in those pictures the road's not open to cars yet. Are bicycles permitted now that it's open?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2343
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I assume in those pictures the road's not open to cars yet. Are bicycles permitted now that it's open?
Of course not It was just open for pedestrians and cyclists for a day to inaugurate the new section.
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #2344
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, I didn't know... For all I know GROEN!'s insisting on bike lanes on all new motorways....
EDIT: If that's even considered a motorway.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2345
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Nah the R4 is just a bypass road, not a real motorway.

And I don't think GROEN! wants bikes lanes along new motorways but insists on proper biking lanes along all N roads and separated bike lines along all refurbished newly constructd roads.

Nevertheless, GROEN! really hasn't that much to say. The green movement is not that big in Flanders. But you could be right since I really don't follow the Green program at all.

Penn's Woods liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #2346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The N79 bridge across the Albert Canal near Riemst.

20140430 Riemst. Pensioenfeest Erik Portugaels by hilde.crevits, on Flickr
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #2347
joshsam
JR

In the back you can see the outskirts of Maastricht.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2348
joshsam
JR

Meanwhile on the E40 near Groot Bijgaarden, Brussels. People have been standing gridlocked for more than 7 hours afther 3 trucks collided with eachother and catched fire.

People have been seen playing sports, drinking beer and even a butcher on his way to a BBQ fired up his BBQ and sold the meat wich was going to waste anyways

Another black day on our overcrowded highways. All still, polticians won't do anything to make our highways better so they can cope with the traffic Railways suck because delays are constant and you can never be sure if you even get where you need to be. Sometimes entire lines are just scrapped out of the blue, leaving commuters nowhere to go , highways and local road gridlocked every single ******* day. This country is a mess during rush hour.

Last edited by joshsam; May 5th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #2349
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

What I don't understand about these incidents is, can't police go to the nearest downstream interchange, and control traffic so people can reverse onto the ramp and make a u-turn (or even the "no u-turn" area in the median) and go back somewhere else? It seems crazy to leave people for 7 hours stuck in a line like that. I like the BBQ guy though, enterprising small businessman
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #2350
joshsam
JR

Well since these Accidents happen in rush hour the highway is at 100% capacity wich Will lead to several miles of traffic jam before Police can do anything. The traffic was indeed diverted but the Miles of traffic jam allready formed is where people got stuck for all those hours. Then diverting highway traffic on allready packed local roads causes Total mayham and also creates additional traffic jams on the highways. It would be good if Belgian highways had some kind of feeder lanes like in the US.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #2351
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Belgium is better than the UK. According to those pictures, the opposite carriageway remained open. In the UK it would have been closed. When I have been diverted off at an exit and straight back on due to an accident on a Belgian motorway, the Police direct traffic. The Police stopped directing traffic in the UK many years ago. A fire like that in the UK would also lead to the road being closed for at least 24 hours. And stranded motorists is a common thing. Belgium also has a dense grid of motorways and high standard highways. The UK has barely any motorways for its population density, and off the motorway highways are generally very poor.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2352
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
What I don't understand about these incidents is, can't police go to the nearest downstream interchange, and control traffic so people can reverse onto the ramp and make a u-turn (or even the "no u-turn" area in the median) and go back somewhere else? It seems crazy to leave people for 7 hours stuck in a line like that. I like the BBQ guy though, enterprising small businessman
Twice in my life I've turned around either in an "official use only" U-turn or on a grass median. The U-turn was on a stretch of I-80 in the middle of nowhere in west-central Pennsylvania with a 15-mile gap between exits...the state had decided construction on a nice June Sunday afternoon was a good idea. The median was on US 202 in New Jersey, with a bad accident ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Well since these Accidents happen in rush hour the highway is at 100% capacity wich Will lead to several miles of traffic jam before Police can do anything. The traffic was indeed diverted but the Miles of traffic jam allready formed is where people got stuck for all those hours. Then diverting highway traffic on allready packed local roads causes Total mayham and also creates additional traffic jams on the highways. It would be good if Belgian highways had some kind of feeder lanes like in the US.
Feeder lanes (or "service roads" or "access roads") are hardly universal here.... Nearly non-existent in rural areas in my experience and in urban areas it sort of depends on local practice. (They seem to be standard in Texas, for example.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #2353
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I remember driving a Ford SUV along I-80 in PA. What a wonderful road, I don't think no Autobahn could compete for speed. Except, stupid Ford had speed limiter at like 175 km/h. Felt like I could open the door and walk faster
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:38 AM   #2354
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

FYI:
Some of you may remember several weeks ago I asked you about a building of an old photo:

For several reasons we supposed it's in Belgium. Actually it is not.
The photo, as supposed, is mirrored. It was photographed more or less from this angle:

It is Harvard University Memorial Hall in Cambridge, MA, USA.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2355
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Didn't expect that!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2356
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E313

E313 just after opening in 1964. Antwerp.

Old June 25th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2357
joshsam
JR

Nice and clean concrete parkway it was

Went to Blankenberge last weekend. 183 km. 2h40 mins drive, some slow traffic around Brussels and Ghent.

I was mainly agitated by the condition of the E40/A10 near Ghent.

Meanwhile the E40/A10 starting in Brussels towards Liège was in excellent condition. I noticed they filled the median with concrete. I also noticed they did the same with the E314 the first 10 kilometers or so where it starts at the connector with the E40 at Leuven.

Does anyone knows when they will rebuilt the connector of the N351 with the E403 in Bruges?
E403 is starting to feel like a real highway but not quite yet.

Last edited by joshsam; June 25th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #2358
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Are there any plans for extension of a A19
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2359
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4794

Initially they had but they never did because of the big former battlefields ( Pilkem during WOI) who are beneath the soil on this route.

A few years ago the government agreed and finally canceling the extension of A19 for real and to upgrade the N8 between Ieper and Veurne. With extra capacity and local bypasses.
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #2360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E19 Antwerpen - Breda

Shoulder running will be put into operation next Monday afternoon on E19 north of Antwerpen, up to St. Job in 't Goor.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia