daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:18 AM   #2381
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
[...] They opened some shoulder running, but congestion is going out of control due to the lack of capacity expansion projects.
You make it sound as if the fact that there are hardly any expansion programs are the cause for the congestion. The main reason for congestion remains that there is more traffic Capacity expansion could reduce that congestion though, that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 'Oosterweel Connection' in Antwerp seems to drag on forever. It seems close to construction from time to time, but never actually gets around to that. The same counts for the expansion of R0 around Brussels. Not to mention the horrible E313.
True that about the Oosterweel connection. There is still some progress, but it's going slow and costing more and more.
The R0 expansion has been cut up in two segments, split at the Vilvoorde viaduct. The eastern section has been researched last year, the northern section is now under research. For the eastern section, they currently predict that the work will start in 2016, which doesn't seem that bad to me. I couldn't find a prediction for the northern segment yet.

EDIT: by the way, I find this page (in Dutch) to be very handy for a quick overview of all the projects: http://www.wegenenverkeer.be/stand-van-zaken.html

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:15 AM   #2382
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's not an extension of the existing A11. The new sections runs from N31 to Westkapplle (12km; OSM).

I've no idea if the A11 gap will ever been closed, for instance by upgrading the N49!?
Ah. And they're calling it the A11, not the E34?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2383
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
EDIT: by the way, I find this page (in Dutch) to be very handy for a quick overview of all the projects: http://www.wegenenverkeer.be/stand-van-zaken.html
All the projects in Flanders. What about Wallonia and Brussels?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:02 AM   #2384
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

To them that's not Belgium. That's France and some obscure city the Flemish have a few interests in

Kanadzie liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #2385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Wallonia has much less congestion. But they are widening E42 to six lanes between Charleroi and Liège.

As I understand, the eastern bypass of Liège has also been put forward recently. It has been planned since the 1970s.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:46 AM   #2386
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
To them that's not Belgium. That's France and some obscure city the Flemish have a few interests in
Wait, what the hell is wrong with you? That's totally uncalled for! I never said that was a list of all projects in Belgium. And I'm often improving Google Maps in Brussels and have already sent several mails with questions or remarks to the Brussels and Walloon administrations, so you couldn't be more wrong.
Isn't it normal that I'm more interested in what happens in my neighbourhood? Those are the works I can easily take a look at myself. Also, I'm equally interested in what is happening in Bruges (for example) than what is happening in most parts of Wallonia: not very.
Besides, another site I use often is http://www.mobielbrussel.irisnet.be/ which has a map with all the projects for Brussels.
For Wallonia I sometimes use http://trafiroutes.wallonie.be/trafi.../maptempsreel/ but I haven't found a site yet where they show planned construction works in detail.

Penn's Woods, Kanadzie liked this post
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:12 PM   #2387
Road_UK
BANNED

Easy sir, it was a joke. No need to be so defensive.

Penn's Woods, Alqaszar liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM   #2388
Glodenox

Sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out like that, but I felt insulted. It's just that I'm getting sick of such remarks that couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyway, let's hope this didn't kill the thread again.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #2389
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's not an extension of the existing A11. The new sections runs from N31 to Westkapplle (12km; OSM).

I've no idea if the A11 gap will ever been closed, for instance by upgrading the N49!?
It will. But it's more a long term project. Every few years an existing traffic light controlled intersection is replaced by a bridge. Though things are delayed quite much. The last thing that happened was the new exit in Moerbeke in 2010. For the upcoming years 3 bridges are planned: in the Stroomstraat in Bassevelde, the Sint-Laureinsesteenweg (N455) in Balgerhoeke and the Stoepestraat (N448) in Assenede. Nowadays there are still 12 traffic lights between Antwerp and Knokke. In 2019 there will be 9. In 1991 there were 23 traffic lights. So things improved a lot already.

In 2019 the new exit in Kaprijke is planned, eliminating another traffic light. And then the other traffic lights will follow soon.

Between Westkapelle (the new A11) and Maldegem the road is different. That's an old transformed steenweg with lots of crossing with no traffic lights. The limit is 90 km.h. But it's not very unpleasant to drive there because traffic is not bothered by the outcomming streets.

This is how it should be within a year or 10:

Last edited by De Klauw; November 14th, 2014 at 03:25 AM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #2390
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

BTW: I wouldn't say nothing improved over the years. Though technically the N31 is not a highway all the traffic lights disappeared the last 5 or 10 years. Only one left, which will also be upgraded next year. So it's now a smooth semi-highway with a speed limit of 90 (because it runs basically through Bruges). So it's a good connextion between the upcomming A11 and the E40/E403. Coastal traffic from Antwerp and beyond will likely use this road a lot in the future.

And there's also the R4-Zuid. The completion of the beltway of Ghent. Also quite a large project.

The new Lummen interchange is also worth mentioning.

In the coming years lot's of things are planned:

Flanders:
-Oosterweelverbinding: completion of the Antwerp beltway
-R0: widening of the Brussels beltway
-N74: connection of the existing N74 with the E314 (around Houthalen-Helchteren)
-R4-East and -West: upgrading the existing expresways into semi-highways with no traffic lights (this is a big project. Construction will start quite soon and things should be completed around 2022)
-N60-link to Wallonia near Ronse
-Upgrade of N8 Ieper-Veurne
-Tunnel near Halle to connect the E429 with the R0
-long term project the upgrading of the E34/A11 (as mentioned in a previous post)
-long term project: another long term project is the upgrade of the A12 Brussels-Antwerp

There is also the N44 which also will be upgraded from a dangerous expressway (with lot's of traffic lights) to a semi-highway with no traffic lights. But that's currently just a plan and a study.

Another planned project is the A102/R11bis: a bypass connecting the intersection Antwerpen-Noord with Wommelgem. This should be a long tunnel of 12 km long. And extensions are planned to the E19 (also a tunnel). I have to say I do not believe this project will ever be build.

Wallonia:

-Upgrade of the N5 to France
-Widening of the E42
-Planned: the R7 east of Liège

Last edited by De Klauw; November 14th, 2014 at 03:29 AM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2391
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Please see first photo:

http://gallery.autosnelwegen.net/BE-A18.html

Exonym questions (for Dutch-speakers)

1) Does anyone call Calais "Kales" any more?
2) I thought it was Duinkerken?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2392
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Please see first photo:

http://gallery.autosnelwegen.net/BE-A18.html

Exonym questions (for Dutch-speakers)

1) Does anyone call Calais "Kales" any more?
2) I thought it was Duinkerken?
1: No, nobody. Calais has never really been considered a part of French-Flanders, and the person who came up with that name might have been shot.

2: That part of French-Flanders is also a cultural part of the Belgian province of West-Flanders. Everything is "...kerke" there.

Added point: Steenvoorde is in France. It's called Steenvoorde on both sides of the border.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #2393
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord-Pas-de-Calais#Steden

Obviously, one shouldn't trust Wikipedia.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #2394
Road_UK
BANNED

Sure, administration wise you can add anything. But Calais has nothing in common with French-Flemish towns and city's, and intends to lean more towards Picardy.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #2395
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

My point was that whoever put that article together recognized (or made up) a slew of Dutch names for places in N-P-de-C.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #2396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

I've never seen Dowaai, Kamerijk and Valencijn written as such before. Probably some very old exonyms that are not in use anymore.

Atrecht has some historic value for the Treaty of Arras (Vrede van Atrecht) in 1482. But I haven't seen it written or called 'Atrecht' in modern day context.

Some exonyms are more common in Flanders than the Netherlands, for example the French city of Lille has a Dutch exonym (rough translation actually) as 'Rijsel'. This is very common exonym in Flanders, but less so in the Netherlands. I'm pretty sure most Dutch would think that Rijsel is some place in Belgium. I also believe many Dutch think Mons / Bergen and Tournai / Doornik are separate cities.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #2397
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Lille, Lyon and Marseille used to be "Lisle," "Lyons," and "Marseilles" in English.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2398
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

Some (new) bike bridges (and other cycling infrastructure) in Flanders:

N31 (Brugge)

N75 (Hasselt - Dilsen) (quoted from the Belgian forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Klassiek zicht vanaf de fietsbrug richting viaduct:

En voor de afwisseling: zicht vanaf het viaduct richting fietsbrug:

Vanaf het viaduct richting Lanklaar / Dilsen-Stokkem:

Op het viaduct: fiets/voetpad afgescheiden van de rijweg. De wegmarkeringen zijn blijkbaar wat uitgevloeid door de regen... :

De aansluiting van het fietspad op het viaduct is niet echt fietsvriendelijk (om niet te zeggen: levensgevaarlijk!) :

Afrit van het viaduct richting Maasmechelen. Merkwaardig detail: de vangrail is met hout bekleed:

Weg naar Maasmechelen, richting viaduct. Links, waar de fietser staat, de aansluiting met het nieuwe fietspad naar de fietsbrug:

Aansluiting van nieuw fietspad en oversteekplaats op de Weg naar Maasmechelen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Update 8 november 2014

Het viaduct en de N75 zijn open in alle richtingen. Er zijn geen omleidingen meer:

Het fietspad door het bos naar de fietsbrug: duidelijk bewegwijzerd:

De oversteekplaats op de Weg naar Maasmechelen:

Een nieuw fietspad langs de Weg naar Maasmechelen en de N75 (Boslaan):

Boven op het viaduct is het beruchte trapje netjes weggewerkt. Als ze nu nog dat betonblok wat afschuinen en er een hekje op zetten is het probleem helemaal opgelost.

Het enige wat nog gedaan moet worden is de verlichting langs het fietspad door het bos en op de fietsbrug.

piotr71, EPA001 liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:39 AM   #2399
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Google oddity:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.5...21136&t=m&z=16

Can one in fact go from the A501 northbound to the A7/E19 northbound? You need to zoom in another notch to see the ramp at all, and then it's dashed. But on the imagery, it's got a couple of vehicles using it. Has it been closed since the pics were taken?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 2nd, 2014, 04:05 PM   #2400
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Streetview pictures date back from July 2013 so it was open back then...

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia