daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #2501
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I would eat any cookie as a dessert or snack, not breakfast. I do have a jar of that speculoos cookie butter stuff (which I suspect Trader Joe's, which is a quirky store, actually invented); bought it out of curiosity because I knew what speculoos was. It is good and I use it occasionally as a spread. But one jar has lasted months.
You can find actual speculoos cookies but it's a bit of a specialty item you're not going to find in an average supermarket.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #2502
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculoos
Quote:
In the area of Europe centered on Eeklo, Belgium, local workers had long known that a sandwich made in the morning with butter and speculoos cookies would develop a spread-like consistency by lunchtime.[3]

In 2008, two competitors entered a contest on the Belgian television show, The Inventors (de Bedenkers), with a spread made from speculoos cookies[3][4] — Els Scheppers, who reached the semi finals, and the team of chef Danny De Mayer and Dirk De Smet, who weren't selected as finalists. Spreads made from crushed Speculoos cookies would subsequently go into production by three separate companies, and by the time they arrived in Belgian supermarkets, Speculoos spread caused a sensation,[3] taking the "Benelux market by storm."[4]

The companies manufacturing the spread were Biscuiterie Willems, Vermeiren Princeps and Lotus Bakeries of Belgium — with Lotus Bakeries subsequently claiming exclusive rights, having purchased the recipe from contestant Scheppers of the television competition.[3] The two competitors, Scheppers as well as De Mayer & De Smet, had presented nearly identical speculoos-based spread recipes, with the latter claiming to hold a patent.[4] De Mayer/DeSmet's recipe was marketed beginning in November 2007 as Speculla, and Scheppers recipe by Lotus Bakeries arrived in early spring 2008 as Speculoospasta. Lotus subsequently also purchased the De Mayer/De Smet patent.

A two-year patent battle ensued between Lotus and Biscuiterie Willems[4] and in January 2011, Lotus Bakeries' patent was nullified[3][5] by the Commercial Court of Ghent (Belgium),[4] which discovered the recipe had been posted on an internet website, Oma Wapsie (Grandma Wapsie), since 2002.[6][7]
Eeklo can be accessed by ring (partially completed) R43 from E34 motorway, ergo on-topic post

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #2503
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculoos

Eeklo can be accessed by ring (partially completed) R43 from E34 motorway, ergo on-topic post
Speculaas is better.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #2504
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I know both words exist; is there a difference or are they regional terms for the same thing?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #2505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19372

E403 Tournai - Brugge

I took a little detour in the way back from Spain, in order to clinch the entire Belgian motorway network. The only major section I haven't driven yet is now E40 (Brussel - Gent).

Here's E403, also known as A17, which runs from Tournai along Kortrijk and Roeselare to Brugge.

The Flemish part is generally in excellent condition, the Walloon part is mediocre, though not as bad as some other motorways I drove (E25, E42). There are six lanes from E17 to Roeselare. E403 carries a decent amount of trucks.

E403-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-17 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-20 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-22 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-26 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-36 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-40 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-43 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-45 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-47 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-48 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-50 by European Roads, on Flickr

E403-52 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #2506
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Speculaas is a hard cookie with little herbs in it. And speculoos is a thicker softer viarant with a lot of herbs added.... It's essentially two different things. Speculoos is like they made it in old days, in the middle ages. Speculaas is the finer modern variant. Speculoos is something you buy in the local bakery, sepculaas is what you buy in the supermarket

Penn's Woods liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #2507
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I took a little detour in the way back from Spain, in order to clinch the entire Belgian motorway network. The only major section I haven't driven yet is now E40 (Brussel - Gent).

Here's E403, also known as A17, which runs from Tournai along Kortrijk and Roeselare to Brugge.

The Flemish part is generally in excellent condition, the Walloon part is mediocre, though not as bad as some other motorways I drove (E25, E42). There are six lanes from E17 to Roeselare. E403 carries a decent amount of trucks.

E403-47 by European Roads, on Flickr

I think it's good that with reconstruction of the roads in Flanders with the new road budget they are also adding concrete barriers again. I really like the continious poored concrete barriers.
Old July 4th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2508
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E34

Repaving E34 between Lille* and Zoersel. Hats off to these guys working the asphalt in this heat.

This kind of carriageway-wide repaving provides the smoothest and best-looking pavement, with no seams.

* Lille is a town in Flanders. The French city of Lille is generally referred to as Rijsel in Flanders.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

piotr71, Luki_SL, BlackC liked this post
Old July 4th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #2509
piotr71

I will experience smoothness of this stretch in couple of weeks
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #2510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A601

Abandoned (?) A601 near Liège.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie, Moravian, piotr71 liked this post
Old July 5th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #2511
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Abandoned (?) A601 near Liège.
I guess so, nearly closed for a half year now. Give a few years and weeds will have cracked open the bad pavement and the road will be totally useless. the right lane was also 'cut' off for traffic by a full white line since last year;

piotr71 liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; July 5th, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #2512
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Trucking in Belgium. 5 lanes occupied by trucks. Nice spot by jdb2

There is new signage at this location:
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #2513
piotr71

I am pretty certain I've already seen those signs in April, haven't I?
(have to check my SD card )
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #2514
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4794

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I am pretty certain I've already seen those signs in April, haven't I?
(have to check my SD card )
They've installed them a week or two ago. The started with these new signs on the Antwerp Ring last year (first at 'Luchtbal/Merksem and exit of E19/A12). Now all signs are replaced a think

piotr71 liked this post
Meurisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #2515
joshsam
JR

Part of the N3 I filmed:

piotr71 liked this post
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #2516
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed limits

It is planned to reduce the general speed limit in Flanders from 90 to 70 km/h by 2017. Already about two-thirds of the 'Gewestwegen' operate under such a speed limit. Rural Flanders is one of the most urbanized regions in Europe, with lots of ribbon development and scattered housing along the roads.

Currently, 5188 km of these roads already operate under the 70 km/h regime. The remaining 2683 km of roads have a 90 km/h speed limit. The minister of mobility for Flanders wants to allow 90 km/h only on roads with a median.

This doesn't apply to motorways, and also seems to exclude divided, four-lane highways which also have a 120 km/h speed limit in Belgium, regardless if they are access-controlled or not.

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20141120_01386895

Klausenburg, joshsam liked this post
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #2517
joshsam
JR

The 90km/h zones on gewestwegen that are not on 2x2 divided by a median are very rare anyways and are just small stretches of roads that contain no or very little housing.

The main thing of this new rule is to outlaw the forest of signs on Flemish roads. They want to remove all 70km/h signs afther the 'build' up signs and afther crossings. (The general rule in Flanders is still that if the 70km/h sign is not repeated afther a crossing, a side street or a build up area sign, the limit becomes 90km/h)
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #2518
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

this will be confusing

I like the reassurances of speed signs in Belgium and I wish Netherlands followed suit, with less "zones" and more "after every entry point" regulations.
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #2519
joshsam
JR

How can it be confusing? Inside a build up zone (indicated by signs F1a/F1b and F3a/F3b) you drive 50 unless otherwise stated (30km/h zones, 20km/h zones, woonerf,...) outside build up zone you drive 70 unless otherwise stated with a sign that says 7/0 or 90, depicts an 'autoweg' (F9 and F11 signs can either be 90 as indicated or 120 if not indicated by sign) or a 'highway' sign (F5 and F7 signs always 120 unless otherwise indicated)
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #2520
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

It is confusing because Wallonia has different rules and this can unleash the floodgates of hell in Europe: regional or even local blanket speed limits. Then, you need to check a master-table before driving through other provinces/sates etc.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia