daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #2561
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Well it does give problems though. The exit lanes on the A3 in that part are like extremely small in width, furthermore the exit lane for the Vottem cloverleaf is like 50-70 meters in length only because the bridge just before is old and only wide enough to just squeeze in 3 lanes on each side. Trucks and cars constantly need to brake and the sharp turn on the Vottem cloverleaf backs up traffic. I've seen it multiple times while passing since the A601 is closed and the situation is dangerous if you'd ask me.

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:09 AM   #2562
DannyBoy85

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Well it does give problems though. The exit lanes on the A3 in that part are like extremely small in width, furthermore the exit lane for the Vottem cloverleaf is like 50-70 meters in length only because the bridge just before is old and only wide enough to just squeeze in 3 lanes on each side. Trucks and cars constantly need to brake and the sharp turn on the Vottem cloverleaf backs up traffic. I've seen it multiple times while passing since the A601 is closed and the situation is dangerous if you'd ask me.
I never heard of any projects to rebuild Vottem. Wallonia can hardly maintain its roads. I’ve heard that the Daussoulx interchange may be rebuilt after 2017.

As far as "Viaduc de Cheratte" is concerned it's going to have a shoulder on both sides and a deceleration lane. It was one hell of a scary place before the works started.

And Chris, by the way, I've driven to Maastricht recently and noticed that the Groeneloper tunnel in isn't opened yet. Do you know when we'll be able to drive through the tunnels?
DannyBoy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:14 AM   #2563
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not an acute congestion problem, but it may be cheaper to renovate A601 than to rebuild the Vottem cloverleaf to modern standards.
If I have got news about A601 one day, I'll let you know.

I'll try to contact the M.E.T. responsible. But you know how it works; you are connected ten times to ten differents persons before getting any info and some are not very agreeable to talk.
Old December 1st, 2015, 02:41 PM   #2564
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19416

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy85 View Post
And Chris, by the way, I've driven to Maastricht recently and noticed that the Groeneloper tunnel in isn't opened yet. Do you know when we'll be able to drive through the tunnels?
It is planned to open in late 2016, however the tunnel is more or less completed since this summer, so they only need to equip and test it. A testing period of one year is relatively long, perhaps it could open earlier, but we had many problems with new tunnel systems in the past few years.

It is forecasted that the E25 route could become more attractive for long-distance traffic. Currently, it's about 50/50 if you drive from Utrecht to Luxembourg via Brussels or Liège, but the new tunnel means that the E25 route is more reliable than the intense congestion around Antwerpen and Brussels. It could increase traffic on the Cheratte interchange, which isn't exactly an ideally designed interchange.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

DannyBoy85 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:20 PM   #2565
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Flemish road & traffic agency announced that the N49/E34 dual carriageway between Ghent and Knokke will be converted in a motorway with overpass junctions and a maximum speed of 120 km/h/75 mph.
level crossings will be replaced by bridges or tunnels and some curves will be adapted.
The section between Westkapelle and Knokke is actually under construction (part of the new A11 motorway from Bruges/E40 to the the E34) Other sections will start in a few years.

More information is available on their website http://wegenenverkeer.be/projecten/van-n49-naar-e34 (Dutch)
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:45 PM   #2566
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is planned to open in late 2016, however the tunnel is more or less completed since this summer, so they only need to equip and test it. A testing period of one year is relatively long, perhaps it could open earlier, but we had many problems with new tunnel systems in the past few years.

It is forecasted that the E25 route could become more attractive for long-distance traffic. Currently, it's about 50/50 if you drive from Utrecht to Luxembourg via Brussels or Liège, but the new tunnel means that the E25 route is more reliable than the intense congestion around Antwerpen and Brussels. It could increase traffic on the Cheratte interchange, which isn't exactly an ideally designed interchange.
Thanks for the info. Will try to drive it as soon as it is opened.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:49 PM   #2567
DannyBoy85

How to add an image link that is working?

postimg.org/image/bfmbqs0un

Cloud wall on the E40 near Loncin (on 27th November).

The surface has been renovated 2 or 3 years ago and is good quality.

Last edited by DannyBoy85; December 2nd, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 09:31 PM   #2568
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

Quote:
How to add an image link that is working?
[img]URL image [/img]

AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:17 AM   #2569
joshsam
JR

And nicely captured illegal advertisement...
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:28 PM   #2570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've seen them on a number of locations in Wallonia. Apparently they are allowed to advertise their work.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:34 PM   #2571
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

It's obligated by law.
Ministerial Order on signalisation of road works and traffic obstructions on public roads (Dutch)
Quote:
Aricle 2.1.1.4 b) Aproximately 150 meters beyond the work zone, the contractor shall place a sign that contains in yellow letters, on a black background, the name of the responsable for the signalisation and his phone number.
The letters and numbers on this sign must have at least a height of 0.15 m.
It's obligated for every wharf, exept those on roads with a maximum speed of 50 km/h and a maximum obstruction of 0.50 m of the road.

Normally, you will find those sings at just every wharf in Belgium.

keokiracer liked this post
Mundial está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:41 PM   #2572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundial View Post
wharf, (...) every wharf in Belgium.
That's a bit too literal translation of 'werf'. A wharf is a dock. You mean a work zone or roadworks.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:08 PM   #2573
joshsam
JR

It is obligated by law to sign who does what yes, but that one seems to be permanent advertisement. I know where that sign is, it's been there for nearly 2 years....

Normally they look like this and are standarised and are removed afther works, well in Flanders at least.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:15 PM   #2574
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

They probably just forgot to remove the sign once they were done and afterwards nobody bothered to remove the sign for them. It doesn't seem very likely to me that this is meant as an advertisement as I can't imagine that sign being very efficient at that.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:28 PM   #2575
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
They probably just forgot to remove the sign once they were done and afterwards nobody bothered to remove the sign for them. It doesn't seem very likely to me that this is meant as an advertisement as I can't imagine that sign being very efficient at that.
Not exactly, it's just after a work zone (asbestos removal from a bridge) after Loncin. The works are over now but were reaching the end when the picture was taken... and now they removed it.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:31 PM   #2576
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
[img]URL image [/img]

What happened here? 2 different types of asphalt?
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:55 PM   #2577
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
What happened here? 2 different types of asphalt?
I don't know but it was renovated at the same time, it's just that they probably cheated with the materials on one side.
Old December 21st, 2015, 01:04 AM   #2578
joshsam
JR

E34 - A11 | BRUGGE - WESTKAPELLE

In Dutch but still good immiages showing the situation of the missing link.

Recent progress:

september:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vank View Post
Het viaduct van de A11 op 7 september. Het is niet zo evident om langs de straat te stoppen om foto's te nemen, dus zijn ze vanuit de trein naar Knokke genomen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vank View Post
Het is al een maand geleden dat ik nog langs de werf gepasseerd ben, ik weet dus niet hoever de werken al gevorderd zijn. Mocht er iemand eens een foto kunnen nemen vanuit de trein of eens met een drone kunnen overvliegen is dit wel mooi meegenomen.

November:
Onderstaande foto's komen van Willemen en moeten dateren van ergens begin november 2015. Willemen update regelmatig hun site, dus de kans is groot dat de links over enkele weken niet meer zullen werken.

8166UY, Penn's Woods, Meurisse liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; December 21st, 2015 at 01:09 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #2579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A 3-lane road (not a one-way street!) in Zeveneken (N70).

Old December 26th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #2580
joshsam
JR

Strange, most suïcide lanes have been worked away.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia