daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #2601
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
But, 3-lane roads are not dangerous if properly configured to 2+1, and with a median barrier at top, they are very safe > look at Sweden, they have many of these kind of roads and one of the lowest road fatality rates in the world :

Swedish 2+1 highway
What I meant by "three-lane road" was the sort of thing that was common in the U.S. in the early days of automobiles: a driving lane each direction with a center lane that was meant for passing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #2602
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

2+1 roads are not the problem, Spain even has lots of them. The problem is to have a central lane where fast traffic from both sides can move to.
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #2603
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

It's not a countryside road we're talking about here. Physical barries are not desirable in this case.
It's a typical main street passing trough a village. Here are some examples on the same N70:

Usually they are configured like thisn where the central lane is only for left turns.:
https://goo.gl/maps/t7mgXHEFRg22

2+1 without physical barrier:
https://goo.gl/maps/YRaBqirkfCA2

Or 1+1 with median:
https://goo.gl/maps/eQR5jBMgj6r
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #2604
DannyBoy85

Likes (Received): 8

The French-speaking liberal Minister of mobility, Jacqueline Galant, would like to reduce the speed on motorways when it rains as done in countries like France. A study will be conducted:

http://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/soci...es-785750.aspx
DannyBoy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #2605
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

What does it matter she's French-speaking?

The article you're linking to is *very* brief and I'd say very unprofessional even. Saying that the minister has her aim at the 120 km/h speed we have now is non-factual and besides the point completely.

This article in Dutch seems much more factual to me: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/politiek/1.2544917

While the study will indeed look at the impact of reducing the speed during the rain, it will also look at higher speeds during the night and lower speeds during the day or more stretches with different speeds like in the Netherlands.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #2606
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post

The article you're linking to is *very* brief and I'd say very unprofessional even. Saying that the minister has her aim at the 120 km/h speed we have now is non-factual and besides the point completely.

This article in Dutch seems much more factual to me: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/politiek/1.2544917

While the study will indeed look at the impact of reducing the speed during the rain, it will also look at higher speeds during the night and lower speeds during the day or more stretches with different speeds like in the Netherlands.
I suppose that by "French-speaking liberal," he just meant to identify her party, the MR. To the 99.99 percent of non-Belgians who - unlike me - have never heard of your parties. :-)

Have a Chimay Rouge. Or a Westvleteren:

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Kanadzie liked this post
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #2607
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What I meant by "three-lane road" was the sort of thing that was common in the U.S. in the early days of automobiles: a driving lane each direction with a center lane that was meant for passing.
This configuration was used in some half-built Italian motorways in the 1950s and 1960s, but it was later abandoned because it was very dangerous (the middle lane was called death lane).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #2608
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Center turn lanes are still pretty dangerous (and often called "suicide lanes" here too), seeing as how the turning vehicle has to cross speeding oncoming traffic. But they're definitely not as dangerous as that center overtake lane design.
Honestly I would say the centre turning lane is much safer than the alternative of no turning lane. My office is on a 4 lane undivided road with no turning lane, where traffic normally flows at around 45 mph, but there's always someone stopped dead in the left lane wanting to turn left (often myself too ) IMO it is pretty hairy and stressful unlike the typical 5-lane (incl. centre turn lane) design, examples of which are common in the area

At least the centre turn lane allows them to wait outside the main lanes, and the occasional confusion where two cars oppose each other is usually fixed (go back to main lanes) and in the worst case the speeds are extremely low...

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 18th, 2016 at 04:35 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:10 AM   #2609
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

I think Gilant is taking about French motorway 'weather limits' where 130kph automatically becomes 110kph when it rains.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:11 PM   #2610
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4792

Walloon government is about to invest 640 million euros next 4 years in their road (and water) network

The list of projects you can find here

Meurisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:30 PM   #2611
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurisse View Post
Walloon government is about to invest 640 million euros next 4 years in their road (and water) network

The list of projects you can find here
That's quite a lot for Wallonia lol.

I hope that this plan will be real.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM   #2612
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post

I took the first one I found.

Of course, I prefer the articles from L'Echo : http://www.lecho.be/economie_politiq...&ts=1453386688
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:35 PM   #2613
Glodenox

Fair enough

I also hope the plans for Wallonia will go through. Because I don't know the roads mentioned in the document, I'm not sure whether it'll be sufficient, but I'm under the expression that it'd be a big improvement.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:28 PM   #2614
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

How's this for a suicide lane?

https://goo.gl/maps/PgEV7tKJjJB2

On a slightly less severe note, here's a helpful demonstration of one which I have actually driven:

https://goo.gl/maps/pckzJSNaziT2
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:30 PM   #2615
DannyBoy85

New about the A601.

According to an interview given to RTL-TVI (a French-speaking channel), the A601 is not a priority and won't probably be renovated before 2020.

A petition has however been opened by users that are forced to make a detour.

http://www.rtl.be/info/regions/liege...o--791732.aspx
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #2616
DannyBoy85

According to a recent study made for VAB, only 48% of the Walloons are satisfied with their motorways. In Flanders, however, the satisfaction rate is 65%.

http://www.rtl.be/info/belgique/soci...es-800087.aspx
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #2617
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Walloon motorways tend to be in a worse shape, but do not have as much congestion as those in Flanders.

I'm a bit worried about the bridges though. If they are maintained as bad as the tunnels in Brussels then they have a real problem, given the fact that they don't even have sufficient funding to keep a motorway in safe condition (A601). Sure, A601 isn't the most important motorway of Belgium, but it's telling that they cannot find a few million euros for renovation, but instead have shut the motorway down indefinitely. What if there are problems at a major motorway bridge? The E40 Meuse River Bridge in Liège was in terrible condition before they started renovations a while ago.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #2618
DannyBoy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Walloon motorways tend to be in a worse shape, but do not have as much congestion as those in Flanders.

I'm a bit worried about the bridges though. If they are maintained as bad as the tunnels in Brussels then they have a real problem, given the fact that they don't even have sufficient funding to keep a motorway in safe condition (A601). Sure, A601 isn't the most important motorway of Belgium, but it's telling that they cannot find a few million euros for renovation, but instead have shut the motorway down indefinitely. What if there are problems at a major motorway bridge? The E40 Meuse River Bridge in Liège was in terrible condition before they started renovations a while ago.
And the scariest thing is that we're talking about a western country.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #2619
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

What is the deal with the Brussels tunnels, anyway? I've seen headlines....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #2620
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What is the deal with the Brussels tunnels, anyway? I've seen headlines....
Lack of maintenance, basically. The team meant to maintain the tunnels didn't have enough budget for the people they needed and important maintenance work got postponed.
Also apparently there's quite a bit of water seeping in through the protective layers, damaging the concrete structure. That would be due to substandard materials having been used for some tunnels.

The main issue is simply that tunnels are expensive to maintain and that Brussels has many of them (when compared to most other cities of a somewhat similar size). Now there's talks about closing down some of these tunnels as they are not really necessary for the traffic flow as a whole.

Last edited by Glodenox; March 9th, 2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia