daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #2621
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Madrid has a huge tunnel network and there are no problems with maintenance. Same for Barcelona. Valencia is a smaller city, but does also have many tunnels and they are in good condition.

And we're talking about a country that's been through tough stuff recently.

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #2622
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

To be honest, I'm only saying what I've been reading. I'm not familiar enough with either network to compare them. Just a guess: could those tunnel systems still be relatively new (as in roughly 20 years old?). In Brussels we're talking about tunnels build just before expo 1958 (though some more recent tunnels seem to be having issues as well).

Apparently most of the recent investments in Brussels went to the expansion of the public transport network recently, which shouldn't be an excuse for not doing proper maintenance though.
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #2623
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Why is this suddenly in the news, though? Did something happen that brought the maintenance issues to light?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #2624
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

In two tunnels small pieces from the ceiling fell down on cars and other tunnels were closed partially or temporarily after the immediate inspection of all tunnels found potential problems.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #2625
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

That's not good....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old March 11th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #2626
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

[B] Belgium | road infrastructure • autoroutes & autosnelwegen

Anyone who has ever driven on the Brussels urban expressway roads can see that all tunnels are in a dire State of disrepear. From water leakage to tiling that is crumbling of the walls and even bare concrete that is clearly crumbling with visible rebar. Those tunnels where build in a record time spam and back then in the 50's they used a lot of concrete hardener to make it dry faster. The rusult is bad concrete. Lots of infrastructure from around that time has the same problem in Belgium. Many road viaducts across Belgium are in such a bad state they need to be replaced completely. I personally know of two bridges on national roads nearby where I live where you can see crumbling concrete and exposed rebar in load bearing pillars and cross beams. Next time I pass by i'll take a picture. It's really shocking even more because one of those roads carries up to 40.000 vehicules every day

Last edited by joshsam; March 11th, 2016 at 01:23 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #2627
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

have they mounted "fences" onto the concrete to stop the chunks falling off like Montreal? If not you are still good another 20 years

like this:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@45.44200...8i6656!6m1!1e1

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/m...-falling-down/
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #2628
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The highest traffic volume in Belgium is on R1 at Borgerhout in Antwerpen. It peaks at 272,700 vehicles per day in 2015.

This is also likely the third-highest traffic count in Europe, after M-30 in Madrid (328,000) and A6 in Paris (280,000). But both of those figures are older and may be outdated.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #2629
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R1 Antwerpen

The highest truck volume in Europe is also likely the R1 in Antwerpen. The 2015 average traffic at Borgerhout is 50,816 trucks per day.

This is an extreme figure, very few motorways in Europe exceed 20,000 trucks per day and the few segments that do rarely reach 30,000 trucks per day. 50,000+ is really off the charts.

The 2015 AADT at R1 Berchem - Borgerhout is 276,340 vehicles per day. There are only 10 lanes at this stretch, no wonder it is congested most of the day.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #2630
Sponsor

Is there any Low Emission Zone operating in Antwerp? I have found different sources about implementing it from January 2016 and February 2017. Which one is true?
Sponsor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #2631
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

The low emission zone will be implemented from 1 februari 2017.
Access is allowed and for free to:
  • motorcycles
  • euro 3 diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (filter is not standard for euro 3)
  • euro 4 or higher diesel cars
  • euro 1 or higer for petrol and LPG cars
  • plug-in hybrid cars
  • electric cars
  • hydrogen cars
  • CNG cars

Cars that do not comply with those norms can buy a daypass 8 times a year.

cars that are not registred in Belgium must be registred on the city's website before entering the zone.

Last edited by Mundial; March 25th, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Mundial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #2632
Sponsor

Thank you!
Sponsor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #2633
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

This is the official information site about the LEZ in Antwerp, but it's only available in Dutch.
https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/nl/lez

I wonder if a foreign car could get fined if the drive with a vehicle that is forbidden, because they can refer to the fact that this communication is not available in other languages.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #2634
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Low emission zones in Belgium

Since 2014 councils have the right to implement a low emission zone (LEZ).
The begin and the end of a LEZ must be indicated with this signs.

The zone is enforced with ANPR camera's at the entrances of the zones.

In 2020 and 2025 norms will get more strict.

toegangsvoorwaarden by bMundial, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
I wonder if a foreign car could get fined if the drive with a vehicle that is forbidden, because they can refer to the fact that this communication is not available in other languages.
Foreign cars can be fined immediately but it will be a disputable fine. The c website is even not translated in Belgiums other official languages, French and German.

Last edited by Mundial; March 26th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
Mundial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #2635
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These emission zones are increasingly annoying in Europe. They are signed differently and more importantly, each have different criteria for which vehicles are allowed and which are not.

They cause a significant additional burden on motorists to find information about each individual city, attach stickers or register license plates, while banning only a minimal share of all vehicles. This is becoming even worse than all the different tolling / vignette systems.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus liked this post
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #2636
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These emission zones are increasingly annoying in Europe. They are signed differently and more importantly, each have different criteria for which vehicles are allowed and which are not.

They cause a significant additional burden on motorists to find information about each individual city, attach stickers or register license plates, while banning only a minimal share of all vehicles. This is becoming even worse than all the different tolling / vignette systems.
I agree, EU should intervene and force an uniform designation and registration database. It should not be permissible for national let alone sub-national authorities to require registration of compliant vehicles, instead, the traffic authorities should have the burden to find registration details and prove the foreign car is outisde regulations.

Moreover, only EURO standards should be admissible as sorting criteria (on top of weight/length/vehicle type). This case-by-case approach should be ended.

Finally, the approach of banning all cars except an enormous list of exemptions (the way ZTLs are implemented in Italy ,for instance) should also be disallowed.
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #2637
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I agree, EU should intervene and force an uniform designation and registration database.
Why?

Not only is there the pointlessness of supranational removal of control when national co-operation will do the job just as well without having to change every vehicle's plates, there's also the exclusion of non-EU countries from such a scheme and the highly likely negative reaction at such a scheme.
Quote:
It should not be permissible for national let alone sub-national authorities to require registration of compliant vehicles, instead, the traffic authorities should have the burden to find registration details and prove the foreign car is outisde regulations.
Ah, now you are talking sense. Totally agree in the presumption of innocence until found guilty.

I find it hard to believe, given co-operation between many European nations on various issues (much led by the EU, but far from all), that foreign number plate databases cannot be checked by local authorities, and fines/tolls issued, outside of some special cases negotiated between countries and payment agencies.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #2638
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
This is the official information site about the LEZ in Antwerp, but it's only available in Dutch.
https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/nl/lez

not even the other language of the country

It seems so insane to apply such rules on foreign cars.

On the other side of the pond this is generally illegal. For example in Quebec winter tyres are mandatory in the winter, but they are not required in Ontario. A Quebec driver with summer tyres in winter is liable for a ticket, but if the car has Ontario registration, is not required, of course. And that rule actually has a viable public-safety meaning (Quebec cities generally colder than Ontario ones in winter, and winter tyres have better adhesion). Even if 1000 "dirty" cars run inside Ring Antwerpen with Polish (or worse... Charleroi) plates it would mean nothing. (and probably all the PM and other pollutants come from ships burning bunker fuel at the port )

FWIW when I spent a couple days driving a Polish rental car in Berlin I was happy to ignore that umweltplakette stupidity (considering the car was almost new and with a German name, nobody bothered me...)

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; March 29th, 2016 at 04:10 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #2639
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Seriously. I actually drove in Antwerp last summer, in a Dutch rental. Would Hertz in Amsterdam have thought to tell me about this? I don't know what those norms mean. Would my car have been banned if those rules had been in effect? (It was a gasoline-powered small Fiat.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; March 30th, 2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #2640
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
not even the other language of the country
Vive la Belgique !
Ah, spijt me... Leve België!

That said, would you trust, say, British Columbia or Newfoundland to post that sort of information in French?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Attus liked this post

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia