daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #2661
NejcB

Likes (Received): 3

On Thursday 7th April, the federal government and federal police took action because the supply shortages started to endanger the operation of hospitals and supermarket. The request for intervention of the federal government came from the Walloon regional authorities and has immediately gained wide support from their Flemish counterpart.

Hefty fines, driving licence suspension and vehicle seizure were among possible measures. Two hours after the federal police started the intervention all the barricades were gone.

It is interesting how this country can be effective from the moment on that there is a political will.
NejcB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:46 PM   #2662
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Belgium introduces a truck toll, starting 1 April 2016.

Flanders and Wallonia charge tolls on motorways and parallel main roads only. Brussels charges tolls on the entire urban road network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NejcB View Post
On Thursday 7th April, the federal government and federal police took action because the supply shortages started to endanger the operation of hospitals and supermarket. The request for intervention of the federal government came from the Walloon regional authorities and has immediately gained wide support from their Flemish counterpart.

Hefty fines, driving licence suspension and vehicle seizure were among possible measures. Two hours after the federal police started the intervention all the barricades were gone.

It is interesting how this country can be effective from the moment on that there is a political will.
I am sure that Belgian authorities are much more efficient in collecting taxes and suppressing demonstrations, than fighting with Belgian Islamic terrorists and whole Molenbeek mess.

Kanadzie liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:01 PM   #2663
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

... which is why the two previous attempts were prevented and this attack was a panic reaction to at least do something as they would have been caught very soon otherwise (the house in which the bombs were made was found, connections were being drawn to those people, etc.).

Also, let's not get off-topic here.

To get the topic back to the Belgian road infrastructure: the website containing all news concerning the planned changes to the ring of Brussels was updated a couple of weeks ago: http://www.werkenaandering.be/
It is decided that a local-express setup will be used and that several sections will be widened. Currently, these works are planned to start in 2019.

Kanadzie liked this post
Glodenox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:20 PM   #2664
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
... which is why the two previous attempts were prevented and this attack was a panic reaction to at least do something as they would have been caught very soon otherwise (the house in which the bombs were made was found, connections were being drawn to those people, etc.).

Also, let's not get off-topic here.

To get the topic back to the Belgian road infrastructure: the website containing all news concerning the planned changes to the ring of Brussels was updated a couple of weeks ago: http://www.werkenaandering.be/
It is decided that a local-express setup will be used and that several sections will be widened. Currently, these works are planned to start in 2019.
I am very aware of the topic of this thread, which isn't a pretext not to make a parallel with the overall situation of the country, especially when concerning new taxes and demonstrations...

And sure, they would have been caught very soon,...if Belgian police wouldn't let go terrorist responsible for more that 130 slaughters in Paris...in a furniture, just because it's "forbidden" to arrest somebody at night time And many other funny things .

Belgian is really a funny country indeed.

John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:21 PM   #2665
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

What about the Southern parts of the ring, some are very tight (the underpass in Groenendaal) or short merging lanes.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:37 PM   #2666
Glodenox

No works are planned on the southern parts of the ring, sadly enough. While these sections often are not up to motorway standards, the northern sections are much more jammed and therefore receive more attention.

Suburbanist liked this post
Glodenox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:30 PM   #2667
NejcB

Likes (Received): 3

According to the report published yesterday by Féderation des Entreprises de Belgique (FEB - http://vbo-feb.be/fr-be/News--Media/...de-non-retour/) Belgium invested in the period 2010-2013 only 2,4% of the GDP into the infrastructure. This is considerably less than our south neighbour France (4,0 %) and north neighbour the Netherlands (3,9 %). In the yearly classification by the World Economic Forum (WEF) Belgium plunged 7 places over the last 10 years to the 22th place.
NejcB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #2668
Glodenox

Hmm, it would have been interesting to see these figures separated by region as well (as each region has its own investment policy concerning roads).

Something I personally found interesting to see in that article was that we spend more on rail infrastructure than our neighbouring countries, but that this isn't reflected in the quality of tracks. Apparently this is due to the money spent on station buildings. Then again, many of those buildings weren't properly maintained or lacked capacity and really did need replacement by now.
Old April 26th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #2669
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

N5 Couvin

The new expressway of N5 around Couvin near the French border is visible in Google Earth. It's part of the new Charleroi - Reims motorway / expressway.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #2670
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
The new expressway of N5 around Couvin near the French border is visible in Google Earth. It's part of the new Charleroi - Reims motorway / expressway.
Thanks . If I got it right, the northern part (Couvin bypass, ~4km, OSM) has expressway standard (2x2; grade-separated) but the southern part (~10km) is 2-laned only. Correct? Is there any additional info about the project? When have works started, when is the estimated opening date, project page et cetera?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #2671
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejcB View Post
According to the report published yesterday by Féderation des Entreprises de Belgique (FEB - http://vbo-feb.be/fr-be/News--Media/...de-non-retour/) Belgium invested in the period 2010-2013 only 2,4% of the GDP into the infrastructure. This is considerably less than our south neighbour France (4,0 %) and north neighbour the Netherlands (3,9 %). In the yearly classification by the World Economic Forum (WEF) Belgium plunged 7 places over the last 10 years to the 22th place.
De Standaard reports that the actual investment in infrastructure is only 0.6% of GDP. The 2.4% figure includes public services, where 42% of that is spent (the highest rate in Europe).

This extremely low investment in infrastructure has been apparent for years. Belgian regional governments seem incapable to fund any more than a minimum level of maintenance. Major projects are postponed every year.

Very few 'investment' type projects are executed (large-scale expansions of existing motorways or new construction). The new A11 near Brugge/Zeebrugge for example isn't a conventionally funded project, but a 30 year DBFM contract.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #2672
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

I've tried to find some info....

http://www.sofico.org/fr/les-mission...ges/la-n5-e420

It seems that it is/was planned to upgrade N5 b/n Charleroi and French border.

Quote:
  • Northern section (13km) between Charleroi Sud and Somzée (Walcourt)
  • Central section (25km) between Somzée and Mariembourg (north of Couvin)
  • Southern section (length yet undefined) between north of Couvin and the French border.
It was decided in 2011 to fund the 14km extension (Couvin bypass) which costs about 176 million €.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/hai...roi?id=9122103

If I got it right, it's about the planned (or u/c?) upgrade of the northern or central section. The road will only partially get motorway standard

http://routes.wikia.com/wiki/Route_nationale_belge_5

N5 could be future A5 but Bultia shopping center bypass (1.5km) will feature 2 lanes only. Couvin bypass (14km) will have "RGG 2 (route pour automobiles)" type. Construction works began in September 2012. It will be completed in 2018 at the earliest.

Will the entire new section from north of Couvin to the French border feature 2x2 lanes, grade-separated?
Construction period September 2012 to 2018?
Are there ongoing or planned activities for an upgrade to 2x2 lanes with grade-separated interchanges only?

Well, at the end of the day I'd like to know if I have to add any section to my List of under construction new motorway or expressway projects.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #2673
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Flanders introduces F.A.S.T.

FAST stands for "Files Aanpakken door Snelle Tussenkomst", which roughly translates into "combating traffic jams by rapid intervention".

FAST consists of rapid intervention vehicles and tow trucks, that intervene when there's an accident (or minor incident) on the highways, making sure oncoming traffic is notified and that the road is cleared asap.

Up till now, these FAST-teams were only present on the Antwerp ringroad. Now they will be introduced nationwide.

joshsam liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #2674
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

What cars are those? Ssangyong?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #2675
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Looks like a SsangYong Rodius. These are sold in Europe but are unpopular. I think it's the only minivan sold in Europe with an 9 to 11-seat configuration. The standard minivans come in a 7-seat configuration, however minivan or 'MPV' sales have dropped significantly in favor of SUVs or cross-overs. The average family size has shrunk as well.
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #2676
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Looks like a SsangYong Rodius. These are sold in Europe but are unpopular. I think it's the only minivan sold in Europe with an 9 to 11-seat configuration. The standard minivans come in a 7-seat configuration, however minivan or 'MPV' sales have dropped significantly in favor of SUVs or cross-overs. The average family size has shrunk as well.
I'm surprised a European police force would consider going Korean

The Belgium Police might have considered them because of their low costs.........although I do wonder if a European car manufacturer would've yielded the same costs (?)

An equivalent French branded car (e.g. Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, etc.) would've been just as cost-efficient?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #2677
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

why should they buy European cars, for only jingoistic reasons?
they have a responsibility to tax payers to purchase the most cost-efficient vehicles via public tender
And especially French car in Belgium

I think they still are using Mercedes-licensed drivetrains in these...
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #2678
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I'm surprised a European police force would consider going Korean

The Belgium Police might have considered them because of their low costs.........although I do wonder if a European car manufacturer would've yielded the same costs (?)

An equivalent French branded car (e.g. Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, etc.) would've been just as cost-efficient?
It's not the first time the Flanders regional government buys SsangYong, they bought already the Tivoli for the nature and forest agency.
It seems they just go for the cheapest ones.

Most Belgian police forces are quite patriotic. The traffic and railway police (thats managed by the federal governement) always buys Volvo (they have a factory in Ghent) and the CID has a lot of Audi's and Lexus.
The local police of Antwerp used to buy Opel. After the closure of the Antwerp plant they changed to Skoda.
In the eastern limburg province most local police forces used to buy Ford. I don't know if they still do after the clore of the Genk plant.
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #2679
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
they have a responsibility to tax payers to purchase the most cost-efficient vehicles via public tender
And a requirement to do so.

Though in certain countries, they always somehow end up selecting bids from that country...
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #2680
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundial View Post
It's not the first time the Flanders regional government buys SsangYong, they bought already the Tivoli for the nature and forest agency.
It seems they just go for the cheapest ones.
Those Ssangyongs are massive though, lots of space to put equipment in (if you say f. you to the 9 or 11 seat option), which is quite handy if you're a rapid intervention car.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia