daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #2681
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

I visited Belgium (Brugge & Gent) two weeks ago

joshsam liked this post
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #2682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Guns N' Roses recorded a song about Belgium. It's called 'Welcome to the Jungle'.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2683
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

On many highways in Flanders they have removed the trees in the middle and cut down a good part of the trees on the sides this winter. I don't know if Wallonia did something as well.
That picture is just.... lol. Worst of a surface and dangerous with those trees.
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #2684
AvB

When I was in Belgium I noticed that Flandres has better surface of roads (motorways/highways) than Wallonia.
Old May 14th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #2685
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Guns N' Roses recorded a song about Belgium. It's called 'Welcome to the Jungle'.

That combination of wild jungle / bad pavement reminds me of Sicilian motorways:

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Zagor666 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #2686
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
On many highways in Flanders they have removed the trees in the middle and cut down a good part of the trees on the sides this winter. I don't know if Wallonia did something as well.
That picture is just.... lol. Worst of a surface and dangerous with those trees.
What my (Walloon) girlfriend said is that they cut the middle ones completely down every few years, and seriously trim the ones on the side. They regrow as nuts fall from the trees on the side and end up in the middle due to the traffic.
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #2687
AvB

Part 2 (Bruges/Brugge-Ghent/Gand/Gent)

joshsam liked this post
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #2688
DannyBoy85

Likes (Received): 8

I like the Sicilian motorway better because it feels more tropical. And the pavement there seems to be ok compared to Wallonia.
DannyBoy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #2689
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

That combination of wild jungle / bad pavement reminds me of Sicilian motorways:

It´s beautiful Who the hell has a problem with that?
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #2690
NejcB

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8166UY View Post
What my (Walloon) girlfriend said is that they cut the middle ones completely down every few years, and seriously trim the ones on the side. They regrow as nuts fall from the trees on the side and end up in the middle due to the traffic.
Some countries like Slovenia, where trees are also abundant, simply spray the middle part with some kind of pesticide that kills any kind of vegetation. The result may be seen here. But it requires regular maintenance...
NejcB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #2691
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I'm pretty sure that spraying pesticides in that amount and so strong it kills everything is forbidden in Belgium and many other countries, it contaminates the groundwater we need tot drink.
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #2692
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

One thing is to use pesticides in small quantities to kill weeds, other thing is to use it in amounts high enough to kill full-grown bushes (like 50x more per m˛). It is not a good idea (like it wouldn't be to lit it on fire on dry summer days and let it burn).

Are there any updates on projects to improve A12, getting rid of the remaining traffic lights north of Boom?
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #2693
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

The only news I've seen recently was that there were plans to rather quickly remove those dangerous 'local' on-ramps and off-ramps. Upgrading A12 is looked at as important but there aren't any full-fledged plans yet to remove those last intersections, no.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #2694
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I'm pretty sure that spraying pesticides in that amount and so strong it kills everything is forbidden in Belgium and many other countries, it contaminates the groundwater we need tot drink.
what do they do for electric power transmission lines?

In my part of Canada they use those defoliants for those power lines but just cut like one would a lawn the highway... I dislike the vegetation because it tends to give space for police to hide and catch speeders
Then again at night it is nice since it allows use of main beams instead of just dipped beams
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:58 AM   #2695
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

... we just build the power lines high enough? Keep in mind that Belgium is a very densely populated country and that power lines don't need to cut through big forests like in Canada Therefore we don't need to take any drastic measures like that to secure our power supply.

Generally they seem to cut down trees whenever they start to reach a certain height, but other foliage is allowed to grow. The use of pesticides is strictly regulated as we need the ground water for drinking water and to preserve some rare plants that would otherwise be affected.
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #2696
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Most power lines gow through agricultural areas like this:

Screenshot hoogspanningslijn by bMundial, on Flickr
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #2697
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

You can find a map of the power lines network in Belgium here :

http://www.elia.be/fr/a-propos-elia/publications/cartes

Just click on the adobe icon to open the map.

Only in the southern part of Belgium (south of the Sambre and Meuse rivers)
you can find large-scale forests. In this part, population is much less dense
and therefore there are not that many power lines, much less than in the
north. There are almost no industrial installations there, the only large
consumers are railway substations (all railways there are electrified).

Power lines are mounted on steel pylons (never with wooden poles as you can
see in the US) which are always high enough (and we don't grow sequoias
over here ) to keep the wires above tree height. You don't really have the
notion of power line "right of way" over here.

joshsam liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #2698
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

A short trip along the Central Avenue in Antwerp City

Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #2699
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
When I was in Belgium I noticed that Flandres has better surface of roads (motorways/highways) than Wallonia.
Generally they are indeed in a better condition. The biggest difference is in the towns and cities, the Flemish ones have a population that's relatively more wealthy and thus the cities and towns have a higher tax revenue, which they can spend on road infrastructure. In Wallonia, 1 out 5 families are in a situation in which both parents/partners are unemployed. In Flanders only 1 out 20 families find themselves in the same predicament.

There's also a significant difference when it comes to "supplementary" road infrastructure, traffic-signs, guard-rails, road markings, reflectors... . The budget in Flanders is high enough to conduct regular mantenaince in these fields while Wallonia has to prioritize on getting the roads themselves in a decent condition.
Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #2700
Tchek

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie25 View Post
Generally they are indeed in a better condition. The biggest difference is in the towns and cities, the Flemish ones have a population that's relatively more wealthy and thus the cities and towns have a higher tax revenue, which they can spend on road infrastructure. In Wallonia, 1 out 5 families are in a situation in which both parents/partners are unemployed. In Flanders only 1 out 20 families find themselves in the same predicament.

There's also a significant difference when it comes to "supplementary" road infrastructure, traffic-signs, guard-rails, road markings, reflectors... . The budget in Flanders is high enough to conduct regular mantenaince in these fields while Wallonia has to prioritize on getting the roads themselves in a decent condition.
Belgium is not a country or a nation at all if poorer regions are left to themselves, instead of being dealt with at national level.

VITORIA MAN liked this post
Tchek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia