daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #2781
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3826

When will work on E40 start? What are they going to do?
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #2782
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

You could check the Wegen & Verkeer Website?
Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #2783
Wimpie25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
Could someone explain the situation on the R0 at Machelen? It seems that the plan is to fully open the interchange with the Brussels Ring upgrade starting in 2019, though it will only provide access to the R22.

So my question is, why has the interchange not been fully opened already, given it is essentially complete?
Well, the E19/A1 was never intended to connect to the R22. The motorway was supposed to run right through Brussels CR as part of the Manhattanproject.

In the Northern Quarter of Brussels, a stacked city was envisioned and one of the sublevels was supposed to be the A1.

The Northern Quarter did get constructed but the surrounding infrastructure got trimmed down. The oldest skyscrapers in the area still have their main entrances a couple of floors up in mid-air.

Old October 12th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #2784
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie25 View Post

You could check the Wegen & Verkeer Website?
I cannot find it...but then I don't speak flemish

I do the road every day to go to work from Brussels to Leuven, so call me egoist but I would like to know what is going to happen

Do you know more? or can you point me where it is on the website?
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #2785
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie25 View Post
Well, the E19/A1 was never intended to connect to the R22. The motorway was supposed to run right through Brussels CR as part of the Manhattanproject.

In the Northern Quarter of Brussels, a stacked city was envisioned and one of the sublevels was supposed to be the A1.

The Northern Quarter did get constructed but the surrounding infrastructure got trimmed down. The oldest skyscrapers in the area still have their main entrances a couple of floors up in mid-air.

Thanks for this. The bit I'm saying I don't understand is why they built the connection to R22, but didn't open it (if you look on Google maps even the ramps down to R22 seem to be there already).
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #2786
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

I looked even in Flemish press but no news of works on E40 leuven-Brussels
Old October 13th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #2787
Wimpie25

Quote:
Thanks for this. The bit I'm saying I don't understand is why they built the connection to R22, but didn't open it (if you look on Google maps even the ramps down to R22 seem to be there already).
Well, there are multiple reasons. Firstly, the E19 was never intended to connect to the R22 in its current form. A 6-lane motorway ending in a simple intersection was never considerd a good idea. The interchange branches connecting in the direction of the R22 have been designed with 120kmh speeds in mind. The old north-western branches has been deconstructed and replaced with a newer on, discouraging high speeds while aproaching the intersection. Even more, new tunnels for cyclist are currently being constructed to seperate traffic-flows.

Secondly, the bridges and overpasses have never been in use and the basic amount of maintenance they received was always targeted at keeping the bridges standing, nothing more. Thus the overpasses needed propper renovation.

Thirdly, the HST-line between Antwerp & Brussels was constructed in the middle of the motorway, certain configurations needed to be revisioned.

Fourthly. Multiple major projects along the R22 in the Flemish region are currently ongoing or will be starting so to upgrade the safety along the expressway/ring-road.

The project that's currently reforming the interchange so it may properly do so, will cost about € 35 Million. Connecting to the R22 is the N21, which is also being reconstructing on multiple area's along its course.
The website with information and future plans concering the Machelen-project.

Current situation.

The situation as it has been for several decades beforte the current project got introduced.

Area's of reconstruction

Old October 14th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #2788
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Thanks again, Wimpie. There does seem to be a tendency in Europe for very high capacity 4-way interchanges like this to be underutilized. For instance, the M23/M25 stack ended up serving a two lane road into London, and the A45/A480 stack in Germany is similarly underutilized. Of the stacks and stack turbines in Europe, a third don't really do anything like what was intended.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; October 14th, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #2789
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Every 6 months I come here to ask: are there news on A601 refurbishment?
Old October 15th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #2790
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5407

Nope it's still closed al will stay like that.

Here is one of the latest articles I could find: (In French) http://bassenge.blogs.sudinfo.be/arc...ir-193732.html

from the article:

Quote:
L'A601 reliant l'E40 à l'E313 est fermée depuis 18 mois et ne devrait jamais rouvrir.
Translation: The A601 wich connects the E40 to E313 has been closed for 18 months and will never reopen again.
Old October 15th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #2791
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Every 6 months I come here to ask:
Why exactly? Cause I'm fairly sure that if there's actual news on the A601 that it will be posted here anyway
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #2792
Wimpie25

Quote:
Thanks again, Wimpie. There does seem to be a tendency in Europe for very high capacity 4-way interchanges like this to be underutilized. For instance, the M23/M25 stack ended up serving a two lane road into London, and the A45/A480 stack in Germany is similarly underutilized. Of the stacks and stack turbines in Europe, a third don't really do anything like what was intended.
Yeah, my guess is that at the end of the Golden Day's of motorwayconstruction in Western-Europe (1973-1985) also marks the beginning of the Golden Days of the Nimby's. Many interchanges in Belgium that were built in those days, were massive in scale, even the most basic connection to the lower grade network would be designed with overly large proportions and a large chunk of "just-in-case-these-roads-need-to-be-widened" capacity.

Heverlee-Interchange

This one has all the embankments ready to turn it into a full cloverleafs. However, there have never been any plans to build another stretch of A2 beyond Heverlee.

Anderlecht Interchange
A full stack-interchange, connecting nothing more than a stub-class (B201) road, a hospital and the few villages beyond.

Just a few 100 metres further south on the R0. Vorst Interchange. Construction started on this one in the 1970's, together with a couple of bridges and overpasses further on. However, it was decided to build the R0 around the towns of Drogenbos and Ukkel, instead of through them and thus the R0 never made a complete circle around Brussels-CR.

Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:49 PM   #2793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Flanders wants to go big with section control / average speed checks, they plan to introduce it on 20 new road segments every year. Long-term plans are to introduce area-wide camera systems which can also scan license plates for criminal / anti-terrorism purposes.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/957/Binnenl...per-jaar.dhtml

I'm not sure what to think of this. Average speed cameras are more fair than single-spot speed cameras, but they tend to be installed on locations where the speed limit is considered to be too low for conditions. This widespread usage (area-wide, they call it) moves it towards excessive government surveillance, as they will not only be used for speeding tickets, but also for general surveillance.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM   #2794
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

very sad... Flanders is supposed to be the refuge of freedom for NL, but now following the same things
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:17 PM   #2795
joshsam
JR

These are the routes that have surveillance ( license plate recognition camera's) in my home town that I spotted. There may be more but of these I know. N3 Direction Liege and Brussels, N80 direction Namur and Hasselt, N716 direction Diest and just before you enter Sint-truiden. There may be more on the N722 and the N79 but I did not spot the cameras yet because I dont frequently drive on those roads. That would mean all main acces roads into town are covered.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:53 PM   #2796
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I think section speed control is fair and appropriate, unlike spot-radar checks. I think spot speed control are appropriate only when there is a specific point of heightened danger, and then it should be clearly marked (ideally, they should be that sort of visible camera control that displays/flashes the speed for drivers).
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #2797
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Flanders wants to go big with section control / average speed checks, they plan to introduce it on 20 new road segments every year. Long-term plans are to introduce area-wide camera systems which can also scan license plates for criminal / anti-terrorism purposes.

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/957/Binnenl...per-jaar.dhtml

I'm not sure what to think of this. Average speed cameras are more fair than single-spot speed cameras, but they tend to be installed on locations where the speed limit is considered to be too low for conditions. This widespread usage (area-wide, they call it) moves it towards excessive government surveillance, as they will not only be used for speeding tickets, but also for general surveillance.
I know this may sting a bit, but European governments have been long waiting for large-scale terrorist attacks because they provides them a very valuable excuse to deploy police-state policies that have been unpopular since the end of totalitarianism in Europe. Combine security with road safety and you have the ideal catalyst for this.

Contrary to Germany or the US, Belgium, France or Spain don't have any strong anti-surveillance movements so privacy in these countries will slowly become a thing of the past.

joshsam, Kanadzie, Mundial liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #2798
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I know this may sting a bit, but European governments have been long waiting for large-scale terrorist attacks because they provides them a very valuable excuse to deploy police-state policies that have been unpopular since the end of totalitarianism in Europe. Combine security with road safety and you have the ideal catalyst for this.

Contrary to Germany or the US, Belgium, France or Spain don't have any strong anti-surveillance movements so privacy in these countries will slowly become a thing of the past.
Hence our cities are allready full over camera's on every corner. I remembered a poll a few years back done by newspaper where 70+% of the readers wants more police surveillance camera's in Belgian cities.

For instance Brussels has 1300 police camera's, many with facial recognition. The police has acces to and additional 1365 CCTV camera's. When the Terror level is raised to 3, wich happens regularly these days, Police has acces to an additional +-1800 CCTV cameras placed by the NMBS/SNCB.
-------------------------------------

In addition to the ANPR camera's in my hometown (ST-Truiden, pop 40.000) I mentioned in my previous post, there are 31 police surveillance camera's in the town center.

Last edited by joshsam; October 24th, 2016 at 10:49 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #2799
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

A601 Liège

Some recent photos of the closed A601 motorway near Liège. It links E40 and E313, but the Walloon region cannot pay for maintenance, so they just shut it down.

Photos by tvintje
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #2800
joshsam
JR

It wil be fun to visit in 10 years or so when nature is reclaiming the road... A few winters will help to crack open the pavement

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia