daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #2841
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
If you cross region borders there will be signs.

There are allready giant signs at region borders stating in wich Region you are and also in wich Province you are. If you haven't got any clue because you missed a giant signage on the side of the road, you can always resort to the names of the towns an cities. French and German names are in Wallonia.

Here you have all 3 of them at the Belgian border:
Are these giant blue signs indicating 70 / 90 at every road crossing the internal borders or are they planned to be mounted?

If it is, no problem.

If it isn't, what will happen to a (foreign) driver caught by a speed camera doing 95km/h in Flanders after entering the region from Wallonia?
Is it legal to fine the driver for exceeding the speed limit by 25km/h?

If a driver knows the official limit but is not sure where s/he is and don't wanna risk a fine, s/he must drive (less than) 70km/h and would provoke dangerous overtakings in Wallonia...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

GROBIN liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #2842
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

They were already placed a couple of weeks before the new year. They'll most likely be missing on most local roads though. I'm also not certain whether Wallonia has put up signs in the other direction indicating that the default speeds are different there. But at least you won't get fined if you apply the default speed limits of Flanders in Wallonia (should be fixed though).
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #2843
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Why do I feel this "brilliant" idea won't last long?...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #2844
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Why do I feel this "brilliant" idea won't last long?...
Because we don't like to keep to speed limits in Belgium?

GROBIN liked this post
joshsam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #2845
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I have no objection to whatever jurisdictional arrangements are in place so that they can decide on specific speed limits for specific roads. I just sub-national entities in EU to be forced, if so, to sign any deviation from national traffic law.

Which is, in practice, the previous situation - since so much of northern Belgium is build-up alongside intercity roads, their limit is often 70. And, up to one week ago, that is clearly signed everywhere. I was not advocating from this arrangement to be prohibited.

------------------------
This is a problem in some other countries as well, including Netherlands, with "Zone 60" or "Zone 30" designations on rural areas. You are supposed to beware of the first sign and, if you missed it, though luck. That is not a practical arrangement. Signposts with fixed speed limits are relatively cheap, no harm putting thousands of them up.

GROBIN liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #2846
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have no objection to whatever jurisdictional arrangements are in place so that they can decide on specific speed limits for specific roads. I just sub-national entities in EU to be forced, if so, to sign any deviation from national traffic law.

Which is, in practice, the previous situation - since so much of northern Belgium is build-up alongside intercity roads, their limit is often 70. And, up to one week ago, that is clearly signed everywhere. I was not advocating from this arrangement to be prohibited.

------------------------
This is a problem in some other countries as well, including Netherlands, with "Zone 60" or "Zone 30" designations on rural areas. You are supposed to beware of the first sign and, if you missed it, though luck. That is not a practical arrangement. Signposts with fixed speed limits are relatively cheap, no harm putting thousands of them up.
Each sign, that must be reflective, complete with its pole, costs few hundreds of euros. It's not a negligible cost especially for small municipalities, if they have to put thousands of them (and replace them after 15-20 years, as they discolour).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #2847
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

But they are happy to park the camera that costs every passer-by a few hundreds of euros, aren't they

GROBIN liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #2848
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But they are happy to park the camera that costs every passer-by a few hundreds of euros, aren't they
The newest camera in Chemnitz (Blitzer) which could control 2 lanes per direction, and redlight, which was worth a hundred thousand €, was amortised after month

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #2849
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

probably should turn it back to Karl-Marx-Stadt then
Old January 22nd, 2017, 03:28 PM   #2850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Flanders will decommission its network of roadside emergency telephones tomorrow. There are 1350 telephones installed along the Flemish motorways.

Meanwhile Wallonia has awarded a contract to keep them operational until at least 2020. They want to phase out the emergency telephones when e-call systems in cars become commonplace (which are obligatory from 2018, but the transition may take place until 2030).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM   #2851
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Flanders will decommission its network of roadside emergency telephones tomorrow. There are 1350 telephones installed along the Flemish motorways.

Meanwhile Wallonia has awarded a contract to keep them operational until at least 2020. They want to phase out the emergency telephones when e-call systems in cars become commonplace (which are obligatory from 2018, but the transition may take place until 2030).
I think this make some sense because there are still some weak cell phone coverage spots in Wallonia, or at least there were in 2015.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #2852
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

My latest video

Luki_SL, joshsam liked this post
Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #2853
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 518

OMG, they will completely change the Europe.. /

http://www.msn.com/nl-be/nieuws/nati...VYru?ocid=iehp

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #2854
joshsam
JR

Will make Belgian highways great again!

No longer driving through and endless forest!
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:37 PM   #2855
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 518

Now I understand. Belgium vs The Netherlands in the road conditions but also in the way how they drive

This can explain ->bad drivers are indicator of

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2856
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

Actually, Belgium scores very well on the CPI (Corruption Perception Index) by ranking 15th. Which makes sense since we have one of the lowest inequality rates, income-gaps and highest citizen participations rates in the world. In general the more "equal" a country gets, the less corrupt its goverment is and the higher the quality of the infrastructure is perceived.

That's where Belgium is the odd duck, our infrastructure is generally good but hasn't always been able to keep up with our Benelux partners.

The article mentioned something about how a hierarchical organized country could have infrastructure of a lesser standard?
Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #2857
joshsam
JR

I bet they didn't take into account 4 useless governments trying to eat the same cake

Mundial liked this post
joshsam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #2858
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

N67 Eupen - Monschau

N67 in Eastern Belgium is one of the worst main roads of Belgium. It is called the 'highway to hell'. Though it has been reduced from 11 to 5 km.

2007:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, Corvinus, GROBIN, Moravian, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #2859
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

LOL a piece of GDR driving experience, even with fitting German signs, they should preserve it as an open-air museum.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #2860
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Is this pre-WWII?

Those concrete slabs were widely used in Europe in those years.
There are few relicts left across the continent, like a part of E28 in Russia (originally part of Berlin-Koenigsberg reichautobahn), part of DK18 in Poland (originally part of Berlin-Breslau reichautobahn) and part of G-211 in Slovenia.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia