daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #2861
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Looks like what used to be called "the longest stairs in Europe"! (Polish A4 Krzyżowa-Wrocław 10 years back)

I love the Belgians' sense of humor! Much more autoirony than Frenchies!

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #2862
The Polman

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is this pre-WWII?

Those concrete slabs were widely used in Europe in those years.
There are few relicts left across the continent, like a part of E28 in Russia (originally part of Berlin-Koenigsberg reichautobahn), part of DK18 in Poland (originally part of Berlin-Breslau reichautobahn) and part of G-211 in Slovenia.
Most of these roads are postwar actually: 1950s or 1960s. Eindhoven once had such a road as well built in the early 1960s as a spur from the motorway to Tilburg. When it was resurfaced in 2008 it was in a wrecked state.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #2863
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I wonder if some media would publish some photos of that Belgian road with a generic title 'Belgian roads' to imply that all roads in Belgium look like that.
That's what happened with muddy dirt tracks in Yakutia, whose photos have been viral on the net for years, with a generic title 'Russian highways'.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #2864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

R1 Antwerpen

Traffic volume data of R1, the Antwerp ring road. Based on known traffic data, it is the second-busiest motorway in Europe after M-30 in Madrid.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

joshsam, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #2865
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

140.000 vehicules squeeze in the 6 lane tunnel under the Scheldt
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #2866
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

man we always complain about R1 traffic but 140 000 vpd on 6 lanes seems not so bad here

E.g. a bridge over the St. Lawrence River in Montreal (Champlain) pushes 170 000 vpd on 6 lanes and a lane in the opposite direction is reserved for buses at peak hours
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #2867
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
140.000 vehicules squeeze in the 6 lane tunnel under the Scheldt
Nono, 160k. The data is for the stretch of road west of the interchange/exit. So you need to look at Antwerpen-Centrum.

The most impressive part is the 35k trucks in the tunnel on the 2x3 lanes. Pure ridiculousness. Fun fact; a bit east between E19-South and E313 is the highest truck count worldwide on a single motorway section; 51.000 trucks per day.
The stupid amount of trucks is why it is a lot worse than for example the bridge in Montreal or the A20 in Rotterdam (180k on 2x3).
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #2868
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Nono, 160k. The data is for the stretch of road west of the interchange/exit. So you need to look at Antwerpen-Centrum.

The most impressive part is the 35k trucks in the tunnel on the 2x3 lanes. Pure ridiculousness. Fun fact; a bit east between E19-South and E313 is the highest truck count worldwide on a single motorway section; 51.000 trucks per day.
The stupid amount of trucks is why it is a lot worse than for example the bridge in Montreal or the A20 in Rotterdam (180k on 2x3).
Well yes, Truck traffic is insane, it slows everything down. Driving to antwerp is a pain as well. If you have 3 lanes, the right lane is full of trucks end to start and sometimes even 2 lanes.

I blame it on the underdevelopped cargo rail infrastructure in Belgium. We defenately need the Antwerp-Rhine-Rhur line back for a starters but The Netherlands doesn't agree. It's still there actually, well at least in Belgium the whole route is still open (open in the sense that it only needs new tracks but the route was not physically removed)
Old March 14th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #2869
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I blame it on the underdevelopped cargo rail infrastructure in Belgium. We defenately need the Antwerp-Rhine-Rhur line back for a starters but The Netherlands doesn't agree. It's still there actually, well at least in Belgium the whole route is still open (open in the sense that it only needs new tracks but the route was not physically removed)
I think you're overestimating rail. For example only ~10% of containers in Rotterdam go over rail, and that's with the cargo-only Betuweroute. That would be around 3k trucks on a daily basis for Antwerpen (as roughly 20k is not local truck traffic but through traffic and yeah yeah you can't one-on-one compare the cities and ports; it's just an example). That would still leave you with 47k trucks per day. Not really somehting to write home about. What you need is alternative routes, ideally to bypass Antwerpen entirely (which we both know is not going to happen in the next century...) or just to provide another route near Antwerpen (Oosterweel).
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #2870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R1 Antwerpen

The Flemish government appear to have reached an agreement over the R1 / Oosterweel Connection in Antwerp.

They call it a 'radical port alignment' and 'Oosterweel light'. According to the Gazet van Antwerpen newspaper it only outlines the main principles of the plan.

According to the newspaper, it involves a tunnel from Wommelgem to Ekeren, a second Tijsmans Tunnel in the Port of Antwerp, and a slimmed down Oosterweel connection and a cap over a part of R1.

It appears they are going to push the 'second bypass' after all, at least the Wommelgem - Ekeren - Liefkenshoek Tunnel sounds like that.

http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20170314_02...r-overeenkomst
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #2871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some more information has surfaced.

Green line: new tunneled bypass on the east side of Antwerpen / expanded capacity

Blue line: new tunnel under the Scheldt

Red line: tunneled R1 (cost: € 9 billion )

Orange line: possible future extension of the bypass (also R11)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, Turf, UnequalSine liked this post
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #2872
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Historical day! Finally.

Enormous project, btw.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #2873
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

#BelgianDoItBetter as they always say. So the tunnel costs are also better
I can see those traffic jams with Belgian road works organization, lack of the info signs, missing lanes or disappearing somewhere and mess around that giant project
However they gain a green light to start this project after so many years ...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #2874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R4 Gent

What do you think of this design for the R4-N424 intersection near Gent?

Old March 29th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #2875
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

I drive there 3,4 times a month. Knowing Belgian approach*, this new roundabout with traffic lights will generate even more traffic.

*) - traffic lights with the same red/green light time regime(so no accommodation to the traffic flow); no directional traffic lights (so collision traffic and pedestrian and bikers)

I know I'm criticizing this, but maybe because I spent too much time in very good organized country called The Netherlands :P

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #2876
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

It's a sort of weird Turbo-Roundabout without the ability to make a 180.
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #2877
joshsam
JR

If the traffic lights will be 'fine tuned' the Belgian way (read: not at all) that intersection will be a disaster. They can't even tune the traffic lights on a straight section of road with multiple intersections let alone try this
Old March 29th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #2878
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
It's a sort of weird Turbo-Roundabout without the ability to make a 180.
It's not (half) a turboroundabout but a turboplein, and afaik they don't allow 180's by design.
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:25 AM   #2879
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm just amused by trying to pronounce "Geeraard van Den Daelelaan"
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #2880
joshsam
JR

It's easy for daelelaan. The 'aele' sounds a bit like a redneck pronouncing a normal American English A + le like in the name 'Dale'.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia