daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #2881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

N5

The new expressway around Couvin.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EasySeven, Wover, Meurisse, pmaciej7 and 1 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #2882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A Wallonia speed limit sign. These became necessary after Flanders reduced the general non-urban speed limit from 90 to 70 km/h.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, MichiH, Luki_SL, AvB liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #2883
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

So, what is this "knip in de Leien" I've been seeing headlines about in Flemish news sources over the last couple of days?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #2884
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

The 'Knip van de Leien' (= cutting off of the Leien streets) refers to the road works on the Frankrijklei and Italiëlei in the center of Antwerp. Both roads are blocked off completely, which has a massive impact on traffic in Antwerp as these roads are basically the backbone of traffic in the center of Antwerp.

Here's a movie explaining it and situating the cut:

Penn's Woods liked this post
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #2885
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Bedankt. I know and like Antwerp (been there the last two summers); it wasn't clear to me whether this was a permanent measure to impede cars, or just part of construction.

(By the way, on my 2015 trip, the first time I'd driven in Europe, finding my way to my hotel on the Nationalestraat was a pain. I don't remember the exact route I used; I was coming from Zeeland...I think I was on the Leien at one point and couldn't figure out where to get off. This was in a rental car without GPS but I looked at maps beforehand.... At least it was a Sunday evening in July, so there was no traffic.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #2886
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Everything inside the Leien isn't really suited for automobiles. There is no point going to the old city by car unless you absolutely need your vehicle there. You're better off parking along the quais or find a parking spot outside the old city. Downtown Antwerp isn't that big, you can easily do everything by foot.
Shame only that recent policy seems to be reducing parking space along major routes. This has adverse effect, people try to sneak their cars into smaller streets.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #2887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Leien are also a big collector road for local traffic, as it is the only major north-south route between the Singels / R1 and the city center.
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #2888
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
Everything inside the Leien isn't really suited for automobiles. There is no point going to the old city by car unless you absolutely need your vehicle there. You're better off parking along the quais or find a parking spot outside the old city. Downtown Antwerp isn't that big, you can easily do everything by foot.
Shame only that recent policy seems to be reducing parking space along major routes. This has adverse effect, people try to sneak their cars into smaller streets.
I'd done Europe by train before; for that 2015 trip I wanted the experience of driving there, and there were places I wanted to go that would be easier by car. I only spent one night in Antwerp that trip anyway (and two nights in 2016) and didn't try to drive around within the city. And I'd checked Streetview in advance and knew my hotel had a garage right next door. The 2016 trip was easier because (a) my car came with GPS even though I didn't request or pay for it and (b) in Antwerp, I stayed very close to the river, so I just drove up the Kaaien to a city garage (and out the Kaaien when I was leaving town).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 10th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #2889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E25

I filmed A2 / E25 from Maastricht to Liège, making a left turn at the infamous Cheratte interchange. But they finally resurfaced E25!

Old June 21st, 2017, 01:27 PM   #2890
Wimpie25

Likes (Received): 9

My latest creation

joshsam liked this post
Wimpie25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:43 PM   #2891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Heat problems near Aarschot.

Yesterday the E314 pavement near Aarschot buckled. This is asphalt overlaid on concrete.

And now in the same area, the pavement buckled on N10 which is a detour for the E314 closure.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:16 PM   #2892
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Almost unbelievable.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:16 PM   #2893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E42

It has been reported that the Walloon government has released € 30 million for the rehabilitation and expansion of E42 between Andenne and the Daussoulx motorway interchange (E411). It is a 13 kilometer segment of motorway. There is a wide median available to expand the motorway inward.

Construction should start in August and will last for one year. When completed, E42 has six lanes throughout from Charleroi to Liège.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:23 PM   #2894
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Almost unbelievable.
It reached 35,5C. Not normal temps. All our roads are concrete or asphalt on concrete. It happens from time to time in summer.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:33 PM   #2895
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It occurs mostly with older concrete but in some cases also with dense asphalt that cannot expand properly. Regular porous or semi-porous asphalt (at least 4-8% porous) has sufficient margin to expand without creating rutting or swelling. However asphalt at the end of its service life may deform easier.

With concrete, cross-cuts will allow the concrete to expand, however some older concrete is known to cause 'blow-ups' in very hot weather. Temperatures need to be over 30 / 35°C for this to happen. It also happened frequently in the past in Southern Germany, they addressed that by creating cross-cuts of a few decimeters wide and fill it with asphalt so it can expand without creating blow-ups. Not all Autobahns have been addressed yet, there have been some temporary 80 km/h limits in hot weather in Baden-Württemberg lately.
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #2896
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it's so strange... I've never even heard of such a thing in North America for example, and 35+ *C is common summer temperature even in Canada... I would think maybe the combination of concrete + asphalt, since different expansion rates, but - there are many such roads here.
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #2897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

By just googling I found this on I-90 in Minnesota:

http://mankatotimes.com/2016/06/10/r...-in-minnesota/
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #2898
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
It reached 35,5C. Not normal temps. All our roads are concrete or asphalt on concrete. It happens from time to time in summer.
Temperatures in Italy reach well into the 40s, but I never saw anything like that. It looks like something of higher temperature stood in that place for some time (like an engine running, hot oil or gas or something like that).
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #2899
Phoenyxar

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Temperatures in Italy reach well into the 40s, but I never saw anything like that.
I've often seen and experienced it in Tuscany (don't really recall a similar thing in other Italian regions). The ground material might have an influence, but I don't have any further answers or insights.
Phoenyxar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #2900
sotonsi

I'd imagine that in places that get high temperatures regularly design the roads to withstand the heat. Temperatures of 35 or more are rare in Belgium and over 30 is uncommon.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia