daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #2961
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Possible to get location of this new stretch?

When will be that day when motorways in Belgium will use A numbers as the rest of the world? :/
The rest of the world? Norway, Sweden and Denmark use the E-numbers too.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #2962
sotonsi

Most countries with a motorway network (as opposed to one or two here and there) give them a separate set of numbers, or different coloured shields/cartouches, and most use 'A' prefixes if they use different prefixes to regular roads. However these are far from universal things - eg Hungary, Pakistan, Ireland and the UK use 'M'; Mexico, Czechia and Slovakia 'D'; Turkey 'O'; Japan, Malaysia and the Philippines 'E'; Kosovo 'R'; the US 'I'; and I know I've missed other countries.

Belgium and the Nordic countries are different as they use E roads as primary numbers, whereas other countries give E roads equal-footing at best and people typically ignore them. Belgium is doubly odd as there's a public-facing (Denmark has administrative M numbers for motorways) national numbering system on these roads, rather than the E numbers only. Triply odd as this use of E numbers doesn't happen off the motorway network, unlike Scandinavia (and the small non-motorway bit of the E55 in Denmark).

Of course, doing stuff different from others isn't an inherently good reason to change, and things would be more boring if they were more uniform.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #2963
Thobe

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
How is it signed, E420, N5 or A5? Signed as motorway or expressway?
Signed as motorway.
Thobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #2964
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
However these are far from universal things - eg Hungary, Pakistan, Ireland and the UK use 'M'; Mexico, Czechia and Slovakia 'D'; Turkey 'O'; Japan, Malaysia and the Philippines 'E'; Kosovo 'R'; the US 'I'; and I know I've missed other countries.
You missed Spain which uses all of those letters for Motorway (and for Non Motorway too), although mainly A or AP.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #2965
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Belgium used to have very low E-numbers (E3, E5, E9, E10).
Probably somewhere in the 80s the E-numbering system was reformed.

For example E9 was renumbered to E313. In my opionion Belgium should have switched to national A-numbers as primary road numbering at that point.
Very important national corridors now carry inconvenient numbers like E313, E314 and E411. A13, A2 and A4 would have been so much easier.

Especially E313-E314 are confusing especially because they intersect. Traffic from Antwerp to Aachen has to follow E313 and then E314.

In Spain E-numbers are useless as well because they not always follow the shortest route. For example, E15 Valencia-Alicante follows the coastal AP7, even though the new A7 trough Alcoy is much shorter. Maybe they hope more people will use the toll road that way.
Or they just didn't bother to reroute the E-15 and change the signs for the millionth time.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #2966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Quote:
How is it signed, E420, N5 or A5? Signed as motorway or expressway?
Directional signage show it as E420 motorway. Traffic signs show it as an expressway. Hectometer signs show it as N5.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #2967
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17502

Are there any plans to built motorway A19 missing link between Ypres (N38) and Veurne (E40/A18)?
Old October 25th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #2968
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

It's a political game between local politicians, the Flemish governemnt and the Belgian government. Don't expect any concrete plans any time soon.

For instance the previous Belgian government wanted to upscale the N8 instead, but those plans where pushed and driven by local politics who didn't want the new motorway, the current government scrapped the plan to upscale the N8 and is doing new studies to realise the A19. This however created a lot of commotion within the local comunities and politics.

The N8 is a dangerous road that needs to be reconstructed very fast. Local politicans rather have no new highway and the money to be directed to reconstruct the dangerous N8 wich runs trough their towns.

The current government however wants to do both. (Like it should be) but local politicians are very sceptical and still don't want a new highway.

Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; October 25th, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #2969
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

N5 south of Charleroi

Quote:
I've tried to find some info....

http://www.sofico.org/fr/les-mission...ges/la-n5-e420

It seems that it is/was planned to upgrade N5 b/n Charleroi and French border.

Quote:
  • Northern section (13km) between Charleroi Sud and Somzée (Walcourt)
  • Central section (25km) between Somzée and Mariembourg (north of Couvin)
  • Southern section (length yet undefined) between north of Couvin and the French border.
It was decided in 2011 to fund the 14km extension (Couvin bypass) which costs about 176 million €.

https://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/hai...roi?id=9122103

If I got it right, it's about the planned (or u/c?) upgrade of the northern or central section. The road will only partially get motorway standard

http://routes.wikia.com/wiki/Route_nationale_belge_5

N5 could be future A5 but Bultia shopping center bypass (1.5km) will feature 2 lanes only.
A public inquiry concerning the revision of sector plans will take place from 25 October 2017 to 8 December 2017; The project consists of the revision of the Charleroi and Philippeville-Couvin sector plans for the registration of the proposed E420-N5 route south of Charleroi and the associated reservation perimeter.

If I got it right, there will be two N5 branches between R3 and Bultia. The western branch is an extension of A503 from R3 exit 5, the eastern branch ends at R3 exit at Blanche Borne. See map.

Is the public inquiry ("Enquête publique") the last step to get building permit or is it an earlier planning stage?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #2970
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E17 Waregem

A DDI has been approved for the E17 / N382 interchange in Waregem. It would be the first DDI in Belgium.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Glodenox, Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #2971
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

If Belgians keep a good and up to date signing system then this can be a very interesting idea, otherwise will be a junction with a lot of accidents :P

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #2972
joshsam
JR

I can think of several junctions this might actually work where structural traffic jams are present every day. Offcourse It would be better to build a double loop like they did with the N75xE314 junction.
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #2973
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flanders has seen substantial snowfall today, which has impacted traffic from the early morning to late evening. Some roads were jammed up for more than 12 hours.

Gent seems especially hard-hit, as of 9:30 p.m. E40 is still jammed up badly.

I've read reports about incredible gridlocks on the regional road system with 3-4 hours to travel 10 kilometers.

Around 4 p.m.:
Old December 12th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #2974
joshsam
JR

And most of those traffic Jams are caused by idiots. I had a nearly 1 hour delay on a local road because some ass with a merc, back wheel drive with no winter tires blocked a bridge with his car... They should fines those idiots heavely and give the money to the people in the traffic jam...
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #2975
Pitchoune

Likes (Received): 495

Sorry for the off topic but those interested in very accurate reports about snow in Belgium can check that website:
http://www.weerstationmaasmechelen.be/sneeuw/,
The situation is now back to the normal with southeast covered by snow and nothing elsewhere
Pitchoune no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #2976
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
Are there any plans to built motorway A19 missing link between Ypres (N38) and Veurne (E40/A18)?
Where I've got it from, I don't know. So correct me if I'm wrong.
If you stretch it, it would go straight through the battlegrounds of the opening stages of 'the third battle of Ypres', The battle of Pilckem Ridge.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Low Emission Zone

A Low Emission Zone (LEZ) will become operational in Brussels from 1 January 2018. In 2018, it only applies to older diesel cars. From 2019, it will also apply to older petrol cars. Over the years, the admission criteria will be enhanced to ban older vehicles.

More information: http://www.lez.brussels/en/content/lez

According to that website, the enforcement will not start until October 2018. Every vehicle that wants to drive in Brussels - including vehicles that comply! - will have to register. Non-registration will be fined € 350, even if the vehicle complies with the emission standards.

Antwerpen also has a LEZ since 2017. Every foreign motorists (except Belgian and Dutch) must register their vehicle, even if your vehicle complies with the admission standards, otherwise you get a € 125 fine.

https://www.slimnaarantwerpen.be/en/...-for-admission

If you want to drive into both cities, you probably have to register your vehicle in both cities because they are separate entities and have different admission criteria. However, you cannot register your vehicle in Brussels until summer 2018. You also have to re-register when they change the admission criteria in Antwerpen in 2020 and 2025.
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #2978
joshsam
JR

If they implement the law like they check drivers license or car insurance in Brussels you shouldn't fear driving a damn diesel train...
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #2979
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

I heard a comedian today who said that the Antwerp LEZ is sandwiched between the largest petrochemical port in Europe and the busiest motorway in Belgium (R1), and it's divided in two by one the busiest rivers in Europe.
And how the city council were actually surprised when the emission limits were exceeded when there was a bit of wind.

And for the same sum for violating the LEZ you could also drive 80 in a 50 zone while being drunk and using the phone. Don't know if this last thing i actually true.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia