daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:32 AM   #341
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
I didn't know Flanders had an exclave (except for Baarle-Nassau). What's that red thingy near Maastricht?
It's the municipality of Voeren. If you want to know all about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voeren
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #342
De Snor
Forever Travelling

Likes (Received): 39

On the A18 a earth dam has been constructed between Jabbeke and De Panne -the French border- to avoid frontal collisions.
Cars and trucks simply crossed the grass borders heading into overhead traffic causing enormous accidents due to high speed.
De Snor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM   #343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That used to be an American style freeway. I kind of liked it, but it's safer now. I have to drive up there anyway this summer or so, haven't been there in 2,5 years.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

R1 in Antwerp by member ff;

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #345
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I saw on GE, that E19 from Brussels to (almost) Antwerpen has a built median reserve with all the objects for additional 2x3+2 lanes motorway. Will that be built some day?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #346
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It was supposed to be some kind of superhighway.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #347
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.wegen-routes.be/doss/A1n.html (in Dutch)

Quote:
Wel werd in het vijftienjarenprogramma van minister Omer Vanaudenhove (1960, kaart) een bijkomende autosnelweg tussen Brussel en Antwerpen via Mechelen opgenomen, die met het oog op de verkeerstoename zes rijstroken in elke richting moest tellen. De studie van Kirschen over de 'autosnelwegen van de tweevoudige verbindingsschakel' bevestigde de noodzaak van deze hoge capaciteit.
In the 15-years programma of minister Omer Vanaudenhove (1960, map) an additional freeway between Brussels and Antwerp via Mechelen was planned, that had to carry six lanes per direction due to future volumes. The study by Kirschen about the "freeways of double connections" acknowledged the necessity of this high capacity.

Quote:
Om het middelste gedeelte van de E19 de gewenste capaciteit van twaalf rijstroken te geven, werd tussen de verkeerswisselaars met de grote ring van Brussel en die van Antwerpen voor een afwijkend dwarsprofiel geopteerd. Centraal zouden tweemaal drie rijstroken worden aangelegd voor het doorgaand verkeer; deze 'directe snelweg' zou enkel aansluitingen kennen ter hoogte van Mechelen-Zuid en Mechelen-Noord. Aan weerszijden van deze snelweg kwam een 'omnibussnelweg' te liggen, met nogmaals tweemaal drie rijstroken en zes toegangscomplexen voor een eerder lokale bediening. Deze omnibussnelweg werd in de loop van de jaren 1970 gebouwd; tot de aanleg van de directe snelweg zou men pas overgaan op het moment dat de verkeerstoename dat vereiste.
To give the E19 it desired capacity of twelve lanes, a different layout was build between the interchanges of Brussel and Antwerp. 2x3 lanes were planned in the median with only 2 exits near Mechelen-Zuid and -North. Additional parallel lanes of 2x3 lanes were planned with 6 interchanges for local traffic. This collector/express setup was build in the 1970's, with only the local lanes being build. They planned to construct the express route when traffic required this.

Quote:
De voorziene capaciteit bleek later een grove overschatting. Zelfs wanneer men het gestaag toegenomen verkeer in rekening brengt, kan men het nut van tweemaal drie extra rijstroken betwijfelen. De veranderende mentaliteit ten aanzien van bijkomende wegenaanleg, vanaf de jaren 1970, maakte de aanleg van rijstroken in de vrijgehouden ruimte overigens quasi onmogelijk.
The desired capacity turned out the be a huge overestimate, even with current traffic growth, the additional 2x3 lanes seems to be exaggerated. Changed attitude towards road construction from the 1970's onward made the construction of extra lanes in the median de-facto impossible.
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #348
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Thank you!
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #349
JOVANO

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I saw on GE, that E19 from Brussels to (almost) Antwerpen has a built median reserve with all the objects for additional 2x3+2 lanes motorway. Will that be built some day?
Now they started constructing a railway on this middenberm/median reserve.
Railway will connect Antwerp with Brussels Airport and offer lots of faster/better connections al around.

Looks like Thalys and other High Speeds will use this track as ell.

Ready by 2012.

See Belgian Be.Forum Diabolo-tread
JOVANO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #350
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

An "Aire" on the E42 between Liège and Sankt-Vith:

This is from a year ago, but yesterday I drove it again to Luxembourg. In Sankth-Vith, I took the E421 which especially in Luxembourg is a very nice road . You should check it out sometime Chris.

Last year I drove until Troisvierges which has the first railway station after the border in Luxembourg. There I took the train to Luxembourg, which is very nice too. And it will cost you €3 for a round trip . But I guess that's just for rail enthousiasts. I'm both railway and road enthousiast, so I switch between train and car from time to time. I love both.

Another recommendation are the roads in the "Ardennes" between Dinant and Bertrix. There are no highways, but the secondary roads are lovely and quiet to drive. Also the "Oostkantons" (where they speak German) have some really nice roads in the "Hautes-Fagnes"/"Hoge Venen".

If your girlfriend is tired of driving, I'd love to give you a guided tour through these roads...

Greetings from Herentals (I live 200m from Herentals Industrie exit on the E313)

Last edited by Wover; February 23rd, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some German was caugt speeding on the E34 motorway, doing 246 km/h, the highest speeding fine ever given by the Antwerp province police department. He has to pay a € 600 fine.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #352
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

He probably overlooked the border
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #353
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Two borders, to drive on the E34, you need to get a significant distance through the Netherlands first.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #354
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

And I'm pretty sure that's his speed with a correction of like 10km/h. According to the car manufacturer the car's maximum speed is 250km/h, so it's pretty clear he was just testing out his car.

Depending on when he did that, it could've been extremely dangerous (though I don't think it should be allowed to drive harder at night).

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #355
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

250 km/h is a good travelling speed. That's what the left lane on the German Autobahn is for! Of course, here in Germany, Dutch drivers are a danger which tend to overtake some trucks or (Dutch) campers which ridiculous small speeds like 120 km/h in the "linke rijstrook" and that is, of course, irresponsible, because all the normal going traffic will be seriously endangered by those almost-standing, yellow-plated obstacles.

Just joking!!!

Actually, I guess speeds more than 200 km/h change the car into a homicidal device which can't be reasonably controlled by the driver.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #356
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

That's why you Germans know that the abbrivation for our country (NL) means: "Nur Links" (Left Only)

And I know about the German jokes about what happens in your country when someone fails for his exams for his driverslicense.

He gets a yellow licenseplate
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They have that license plate joke in France too. (you'll get a red-white license plate (Belgian) if you fail your exam).
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #358
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Sure about that? Never heard of that Funny though...

btw: we'll get black-white license plates in the future...
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #359
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

From my experience, I'd say German drivers are the best drivers.

Here's my list:

1. Germany
2. Holland
3. Luxembourg
4. France
5. Belgium

This might be influenced by the fact that I live in Belgium and meet more bad Belgian drivers, allthough there surely is some truth in that list .
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #360
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

What makes Belgium drivers bad? Can't be much worse than drivers from the US state of Maryland.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia