daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #401
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Suicide lane is logically not the official name, I know that. It's just a commonly used name for such lanes. There aren't many left of them though because of safety problems. (Hence that unflattering name) Most of them are converted into 2+1 roads.

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #402
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, they completed the E25 in Liège, which is quite important in my opinion. I'm not sure of the exact opening date, but it was somewhere early 2000's.

And I'm not sure how old the E429 Halle - Tournai is, it looked pretty new.
Going south driving through Liege city is still quicker than the new ring road. But this is also thanks to the traffic that does take the ring road so there are less cars going through town.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #403
hix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Is it true that Belgium hasn't built a motorway in over 10 years?
There is no need anymore to build new motorways. We have allready too much of them.
What is needed now is renovation of existing motorways, enlargment of certain parts (like the ring around Brussels) and maybe convertion of some expressways to motorways, like the A12 Brussel-Antwerp and the expressway around Halle.
hix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yep, the Belgian motorway network is pretty much completed. I would like to add that the N74 and E34 west of Antwerp should also get motorway status.

And since a beltway of Antwerp is out of the question, I'm still hoping they will build a local/express setup on the R1.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #405
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Has the N49 been fully upgraded yet? Last time I checked they had 'only' done the part Antwerp - Zelzate.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Brussels small ringroad (petit ceinture)
image hosted on flickr

Old April 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #407
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

That's an impressive looking boulevard! What's the speed limit? It seems to be prone to weaving.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not the small ring, but the N3 in Brussels. There is some 300 meters to weave from the tunnels to the surface streets. The photo is zoomed.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #409
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Has the N49 been fully upgraded yet? Last time I checked they had 'only' done the part Antwerp - Zelzate.
When I drove there last summer, west of Zeltate there were still some same-level-crossings with traffic lights... very disgusting
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #410
convalescence

driving home from Paris yesterday, we took the route along N89/E46 from French border to E411 in the south of Belgium and I was surprised that it was a 4-lane-expressway, mostly divided in the median but I was even more shocked about its condition! Here some pics of it

Border station was about 1-2 km before the real border..weird

road becomes steeper because it leads to Semois valley, a deep valley in southern ardennes, so the second lane is probably closed due to accidents that happened (like B51/Bitburger Straße in Trier/Germany as well some years ago)

look at the sign (btw asphalt looks newer on this small stretch)

near Bouillon, in Semois valley

the road condition becomes most horrible when entering that forest...

I asked myself if signage in Belgium is always the same if motorway or not?

roadside looks dangerous - and yes the other 2 lanes are left of these hedges...

these are lanes to turn left...very dirty in the median as if no one would ever turn left

there was one stretch with deep road holes - no warning sign or speed limit at all!

After riding this road I asked myself why this road is so wide (4 lanes) although there isn't that much traffic and the road looked sometimes as if it really should once become a motorway...
does anyone knows more about the history of this traffic way? I somehow think that this road was built for more than these cars who are driving on it today, so the traffic volume was overestimated and now no one cares about this road and its condition any more?

Last edited by convalescence; April 12th, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #411
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Those 2×2 non-motorway roads are quite handy IMO, and unfortunately there are only very few of them in the Netherlands (if there are any). It would be a perfect solution for the N69 in the Netherlands, which runs from Eindhoven to Belgium via Valkenswaard, where it connects with the N74 expy (2×2) to Overpelt.

Still the condition of this road is horrible
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hehe, you captured the Wallonian non motorway 2x2 roads. Those are among the worst in Belgium, I've driven the N4 and N63 Arlon - Marche - Liège saturday, I'll show pics later. They are somewhat nostalgic, and unbelievable, since I saw situations where there were houses with driveways to the road and the speed limit was 120 km/h.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #413
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Brussels small ringroad (petit ceinture)
image hosted on flickr

whats that so many tractor?
are they going to some demonstration?

last time when our peasants wanted to demonstrate they were stopped with "NO entry with tractors" sign...

H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Going south driving through Liege city is still quicker than the new ring road. But this is also thanks to the traffic that does take the ring road so there are less cars going through town.
The old route through Liège is quite spectacular. I've driven that quite some times. Many people get lost in the city though.
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #415
JOVANO

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hix View Post
There is no need anymore to build new motorways. We have allready too much of them.
What is needed now is renovation of existing motorways, enlargment of certain parts (like the ring around Brussels) and maybe convertion of some expressways to motorways, like the A12 Brussel-Antwerp and the expressway around Halle.

While I agree there is first need to convert "express-ways "( A12 : Brussels-Antwerp, N49/E34 Antwerp-Brugge, N25 Nivelles- Wavre + extension East and West , N4 Namur - Bastogne, etc.) and the enlargments you mention, I believe there is a lot more to be constructed

A17 Ieper-Veurne
Vlaamse Ruit Motorway Connection St Niklaas-Mechelen-Leuven and Aalst-Mechelen-Turnhout. = The final solution to save Antwerp and Brussels from suffocation.

Complete Ringroads everywhere.

Connections Zeebrugge with South and West

Furthermore most Exits and Entries of our Motorways need serious improvements to increase safety.

And than a general huge effort is needed for maintenance, signage, ..

We lost almost 20 years.
JOVANO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #416
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Those 2×2 non-motorway roads are quite handy IMO, and unfortunately there are only very few of them in the Netherlands (if there are any).
Zeeland has a few and more are on their way (predominantly around the Westerschelde).

They are perfect for us. Motorways are too invasive, they damage the touristic image of the province. So simple carriageways (100km/h) are just right because they're a lot more provincial without the ugly barriers etc.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #417
convalescence

Quote:
I've driven the N4 and N63 Arlon - Marche - Liège saturday, I'll show pics later.
So our ways on saturday crossed at E25/N4 junction Bastogne

Drove the first time E25 and it's probably one of the nicest motorways in Belgium. Then N827 Houffalize-Gouvy was our route and this road had also horrible conditions with road holes and broken roadsides everywhere... we were scared when oncoming traffic was coming not to damage our tires there...
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #418
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post
driving home from Paris yesterday, we took the route along N89/E46 from French border to E411 in the south of Belgium and I was surprised that it was a 4-lane-expressway, mostly divided in the median but I was even more shocked about its condition! Here some pics of it

Border station was about 1-2 km before the real border..weird

road becomes steeper because it leads to Semois valley, a deep valley in southern ardennes, so the second lane is probably closed due to accidents that happened (like B51/Bitburger Straße in Trier/Germany as well some years ago)

roadside looks dangerous - and yes the other 2 lanes are left of these hedges...

these are lanes to turn left...very dirty in the median as if no one would ever turn left

there was one stretch with deep road holes - no warning sign or speed limit at all!

After riding this road I asked myself why this road is so wide (4 lanes) although there isn't that much traffic and the road looked sometimes as if it really should once become a motorway...
does anyone knows more about the history of this traffic way? I somehow think that this road was built for more than these cars who are driving on it today, so the traffic volume was overestimated and now no one cares about this road and its condition any more?
Well this is the old road from Reims to Liège. And it was quite convenient for me who lived there. But I agree that today, it is in bad shape. But this system 2x2 is excellent and I would prefer such system in Latvia or Ireland than a 2x1,5 lanes if you see what I mean. 2x2 is much safer and faster.

Sometimes that road is quite dangerous, don't overspeed in some curves... For the rest, it is the road of the Ardennes, and often there are problems due to truck traffic (wood, fuel, ...) and of course frost, snow and sun. Nowadays, all the traffic goes through Namur and Monsor Luxembourg and Metz with E411 and E42... Life goes on... But it it a very beautiful road running through forests and valleys and allowing to reach interesting touristic spots
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #419
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
I've driven the N4 and N63 Arlon - Marche - Liège saturday, I'll show pics later.
Eager to see them
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #420
convalescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
But this system 2x2 is excellent and I would prefer such system in Latvia or Ireland than a 2x1,5 lanes if you see what I mean. 2x2 is much safer and faster.
You have to say that to the people who built the B51 Trier-Bitburg in Germany who still think that 2+1 improves the road's safety

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia