daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #421
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

In Luxembourg, the road going from the North border with Belgium going south onto Luxembourg (E421 I think) is also 2+1, but it switches direction every 2-3km's. It's a very good road by the way and I think Chris has also driven it on his 5-country roadtrip.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post
You have to say that to the people who built the B51 Trier-Bitburg in Germany who still think that 2+1 improves the road's safety
Well, they do, as opposed to single lane roadways. You can overtake safely. I wish there were many more 2+1 roads in the Netherlands (there is now only 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
In Luxembourg, the road going from the North border with Belgium going south onto Luxembourg (E421 I think) is also 2+1, but it switches direction every 2-3km's. It's a very good road by the way and I think Chris has also driven it on his 5-country roadtrip.
I haven't driven there past weekend, but I have driven there before, but the last time was already in 2006.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Greenpeace extremists stopped traffic on the R0 beltway of Brussels to put grass on the motorway. Stupid ecoterrorists.
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #424
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

What the hell are they thinking...

Brussells Ring is always very, bery busy... and they dare stop the traffic on one side because they want to put some piece of cheap rug ? I would jail them
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #425
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6163

Well that's Greenpeace for you. We fire guns at pirates in Somalia but when Greenpeace attack a ship we're supposed to applaud them. Ridiculous.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #426
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Though I certainly do not agree with the action (I was disgusted when I saw it on the news), they did take precautions and divert all the traffic to a two-lane exit with the signalisation that the police would also use in case of road works.

Also, it was done at sunday morning, when there's not that much traffic.

But indeed: unacceptable.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #427
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

image hosted on flickr

Is it realy necessary to have a lamppost at every single corner or every 10 meters nowadays?
Damn! And they are so ugly and old fashioned!
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #428
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Lampposts are pure beauty
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When buried underground?
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #430
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Can't say I ever really disliked them, but I guess I'm just used to them.

I can only say that when I came from Germany a month or two ago, I was really glad to arrive in Belgium because it was a lot easier to see the road with the light than it was in Germany or the Netherlands... It may seem unnecessary and I prefer not to discuss it too much (not like we can change it here anyway), but I can't say I'm totally against them.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #431
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Sure, they improve road safety, but isn't it a waste of money to put a lamp post every 10 meters on a quiet road?
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #432
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

I don't discuss the road safety, I mentioned another points:

Environmental questions and esthetic reasons

I think that the security problem is resolved if you buy a new car (only in this case, I understand that not everyone can afford it to buy these cars), you should order it with Xenon headlights.

And I think that not a single driver on the oppisite lane will be blinded by those lights, because of the huge forests in the middle shoulder ;-)

Another solution is to save a lot of money on energy to put good reflections and signs with reflection on both sides of the lane.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are roadworks on the southbound E19 just north of Antwerpen. The travel time for the 25 kilometers (15 miles) are 1.5 - 2 hours for days now, really bad congestion, it sometimes already starts in the Netherlands.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A small plane crashed onto the E42 near Namur day before yesterday:
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #435
Plaas
MP

Likes (Received): 2423

This pic is already shown at the first page of this thread:

If I would like to travel form Gent to Limburg, or from Zeebrugge harbours to the German borders (likely routes for truckers), I seem to have two options: the busy Brussels ringroad or the even busier Antwerp ringroad.
Why is there no motorway "in-between", so a motorway from Gent to Aarschot (E314), via Mechelen? Both ringroads will be less packed with long-distance traffic then.
Plaas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #436
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's the problem with a radial system. Looks nice at first, but then those roads become overcrowded and there's no real alternative.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #437
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaas View Post
If I would like to travel form Gent to Limburg, or from Zeebrugge harbours to the German borders (likely routes for truckers), I seem to have two options: the busy Brussels ringroad or the even busier Antwerp ringroad.
Why is there no motorway "in-between", so a motorway from Gent to Aarschot (E314), via Mechelen? Both ringroads will be less packed with long-distance traffic then.
Motorways are meant to connect cities. A motorway network as a whole is always developed in that way that each individual route serves as many cities as possible so that a minimum of motorways provide the necessary and desired links.

A motorway in the middle of nowhere on the other hand is the least economic option and therefore the first one to be discarded.

But then again the Belgian motorway network is pretty decent. It provides a lot of options for most relations. Even the ring roads of Brussels and Antwerp aren't that bad. I rarely witnessed any congestions there. I avoid those cities in peak hour though.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #438
Plaas
MP

Likes (Received): 2423

Mechelen and its suburbs are not really a "middle-of-nowhere", are they A connection Gent - Mechelen - Aarschot (=Hasselt/Leuven) could be useful, and it will decrease pressure in the big cities, just what a ringroad was meant to do.
Plaas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I rarely witnessed any congestions there. I avoid those cities in peak hour though.
I guess you were lucky, the Flemish diamond (Gent - Antwerpen - Brussel - Leuven) had over 300 kilometers of traffic jam the last couple of weeks.

Also: don't forget the lack of major cities does not mean there's no traffic, considering how densely populated the Belgian countryside is. It would've been better if they had completed the R2 along the south side of Antwerp though.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #440
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

Judging on the photos and videos the Belgian motorway network looks of good standard. The pavement doesnt look so bad and the signage looks good apart from some being covered by trees. But there doesnt seem to be any emergency lanes on most of them, why?

From one of the pictures by Chris of the plane crash, traffic looked very bad. If there was an emergency lane that wouldnt happen.
transport21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia