daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #481
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

A rare picture to take at that time of the day: an empty E19.

It had little to do with luck though, a hundred meters behind me they were placing a rail bridge over the motorway and as such it was closed off

Thought I'd share the picture nonetheless though.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #482
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Why the wide median?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #483
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

The E19 has a special history, it was planned as a super-expressway, only the outer lanes were constructed at that time, I believe it was planned to be 12 or 14 lanes, but never build. I thought I wrote something about it a couple of pages back.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #484
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here it was:

http://www.wegen-routes.be/doss/A1n.html (in Dutch)

Quote:
Wel werd in het vijftienjarenprogramma van minister Omer Vanaudenhove (1960, kaart) een bijkomende autosnelweg tussen Brussel en Antwerpen via Mechelen opgenomen, die met het oog op de verkeerstoename zes rijstroken in elke richting moest tellen. De studie van Kirschen over de 'autosnelwegen van de tweevoudige verbindingsschakel' bevestigde de noodzaak van deze hoge capaciteit.
In the 15-years programma of minister Omer Vanaudenhove (1960, map) an additional freeway between Brussels and Antwerp via Mechelen was planned, that had to carry six lanes per direction due to future volumes. The study by Kirschen about the "freeways of double connections" acknowledged the necessity of this high capacity.

Quote:
Om het middelste gedeelte van de E19 de gewenste capaciteit van twaalf rijstroken te geven, werd tussen de verkeerswisselaars met de grote ring van Brussel en die van Antwerpen voor een afwijkend dwarsprofiel geopteerd. Centraal zouden tweemaal drie rijstroken worden aangelegd voor het doorgaand verkeer; deze 'directe snelweg' zou enkel aansluitingen kennen ter hoogte van Mechelen-Zuid en Mechelen-Noord. Aan weerszijden van deze snelweg kwam een 'omnibussnelweg' te liggen, met nogmaals tweemaal drie rijstroken en zes toegangscomplexen voor een eerder lokale bediening. Deze omnibussnelweg werd in de loop van de jaren 1970 gebouwd; tot de aanleg van de directe snelweg zou men pas overgaan op het moment dat de verkeerstoename dat vereiste.
To give the E19 it desired capacity of twelve lanes, a different layout was build between the interchanges of Brussel and Antwerp. 2x3 lanes were planned in the median with only 2 exits near Mechelen-Zuid and -North. Additional parallel lanes of 2x3 lanes were planned with 6 interchanges for local traffic. This collector/express setup was build in the 1970's, with only the local lanes being build. They planned to construct the express route when traffic required this.

Quote:
De voorziene capaciteit bleek later een grove overschatting. Zelfs wanneer men het gestaag toegenomen verkeer in rekening brengt, kan men het nut van tweemaal drie extra rijstroken betwijfelen. De veranderende mentaliteit ten aanzien van bijkomende wegenaanleg, vanaf de jaren 1970, maakte de aanleg van rijstroken in de vrijgehouden ruimte overigens quasi onmogelijk.
The desired capacity turned out the be a huge overestimate, even with current traffic growth, the additional 2x3 lanes seems to be exaggerated. Changed attitude towards road construction from the 1970's onward made the construction of extra lanes in the median de-facto impossible.
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #485
Glodenox

The wide median turned out to be a blessing for another project though: a railway line is now being constructed on the median which will transform the Brussels Airport station into a through-station and will allow trains from Antwerp to directly reach the station

A part of that super-expressway has actually been built, but is now being removed again because the split-up from 3 lanes to 2x2 lanes turned out to cause too many accidents with people not being sure which lane to pick.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
A part of that super-expressway has actually been built, but is now being removed again because the split-up from 3 lanes to 2x2 lanes turned out to cause too many accidents with people not being sure which lane to pick.
Yeah, I have heard many stories about that. Kinda weird, the roadway splits, and you don't know if you should go left or right, so you decide to crash in the center? Kinda weird actually.
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #487
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Gent needs outer bypass, there is too muchg traffic on current 'ring'
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #488
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, I have heard many stories about that. Kinda weird, the roadway splits, and you don't know if you should go left or right, so you decide to crash in the center? Kinda weird actually.
Thanx!

BTW, is there any resource available that shows the planned but never/not yet built motorways in Belgium (much like I found not long ago for Germany)? Poking around on Google Earth, I am amazed at the number of 'ghost' grades and interchanges in that area.

Ditto for Nederlands?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #489
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Belgium might be the king of "Grand Travaux Inutile" (Great unused works), for any kind of infrastructure.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #490
Glodenox

Here's the translation by Google of the Dutch Wikipedia article about these "Grand Travaux Inutiles" (both Belgium and the Netherlands): http://translate.google.com/translat...=nl|en|&swap=1

We also have a topic about it in the Be. Forum here on SkyscraperCity, but it's completely in Dutch and doesn't have that many pictures...

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

9 trucks collided on the E17 near Destelbergen.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; June 9th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #492
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

Interesting what I read on that page (that one what google translated is a bit ridiculous but I can understand a little bit dutch due to german dialect knowledge )

Bridge over railway near Varsenare for a neverbuilt motorway to Zeebrugge? The expressway west of Bruges is a mess! It's always horrible to drive there, it starts coming from the interchange and 1km from it there are traffic lights that let the traffic jam upto the interchange... I realized that they are working on the expressway to avoid the traffic lights and that's very good... but a real motorway would've been a good solution as well... there is enough traffic from E40 to the sea...

near Hasselt for planned A24 to Eindhoven if I read correctly?
also interesting... I really would like to know more about abandoned motorway projects in Belgium
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #493
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4186

Can you find the highway?

image hosted on flickr
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #494
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

great the last pic it's the E411 above Namur right? or the E25 not sure of that
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #495
Glodenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post

near Hasselt for planned A24 to Eindhoven if I read correctly?
also interesting... I really would like to know more about abandoned motorway projects in Belgium
That bridge was built for a road between Hasselt and Ghent. It was meant to become a 4-lane (2x2) road, but is now used as a local road.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #496
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
That bridge was built for a road between Hasselt and Ghent.
Small correction : between Hasselt and Genk
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #497
Glodenox

It's Genk indeed. My bad. Must've misread the Wikipedia page
Thanks for the correction

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #498
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another big crash on E313:
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #499
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

The electronic speed limit signs above the E313 and the R1 have been broken since at least 3 days now. This means that for once, you can drive 120 on the Antwerp ringroad, since there are no non-electronic signs.

I do recommend slowing down to 100 at the Kennedytunnel for the speed camera though .

ps: It's only the speed limit signage above the lanes that is broken, the other electronic signs still work but only say that the lanesignalisation is out of service.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #500
Glodenox

Went past that changed section of the E19 a couple of days ago and took some pictures.

What it used to look like (credit to tram2 for taking/finding these pictures):

After the exit, both sections join again. But as you can see from the last picture: people often collided there (couldn't make up their mind whether they'd go left or right?).

Now however, the motorway just becomes a 4-lane road:

This weird situation still exists in the other direction though and so far I haven't heard of any plans to change it over there as well.

Greetings,
Glodenox

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia