daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM   #501
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Why it was like this before? Because of a viaduct or a brigde?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM   #502
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

To quote ChrisZwolle on the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the 15-years programma of minister Omer Vanaudenhove (1960, map) an additional freeway between Brussels and Antwerp via Mechelen was planned, that had to carry six lanes per direction due to future volumes. The study by Kirschen about the "freeways of double connections" acknowledged the necessity of this high capacity.

To give the E19 it desired capacity of twelve lanes, a different layout was build between the interchanges of Brussel and Antwerp. 2x3 lanes were planned in the median with only 2 exits near Mechelen-Zuid and -North. Additional parallel lanes of 2x3 lanes were planned with 6 interchanges for local traffic. This collector/express setup was build in the 1970's, with only the local lanes being build. They planned to construct the express route when traffic required this.

The desired capacity turned out the be a huge overestimate, even with current traffic growth, the additional 2x3 lanes seems to be exaggerated. Changed attitude towards road construction from the 1970's onward made the construction of extra lanes in the median de-facto impossible.
So basically, they already built one section but wanted to expand it in the future. Nowadays they realise that the problem isn't the width of the motorway, but the intersections at both ends of the motorway. Now that one section they've built has been removed because it was just causing too much confusion. Why it took that long to remove it, nobody knows.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

There are T-roads in Belgium, see:
http://picasaweb.google.be/tommeke35...26606754568258
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #504
Glodenox

What are those T-roads? Judging from those pictures: they're bicycle lanes? Never seen such marking before... Can't find anything about them on the internet yet... Nice find!

The only type of road I know of that is fairly rare to see are B-roads. They're "connecting roads", like providing access between the A1 and the N1 in Mechelen-South.

EDIT: ignore that "couldn't find anything on the internet": List of T-roads.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

T-routes are very local roads, often not accesible to motorized traffic.
Check this page:
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/be/frames.html?/be/tb.html
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #506
Glodenox

My link works better ^_^

Odd... Very odd. I fail to see why such local roads would need numbering, but I guess it doesn't do any harm.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

For those who are interested: Belgium just got full coverage in Google Earth. The earlier coverage was low-res, now they're at lead good resolution (not the best offered in Gearth though).
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #508
ChrisZwolle
Road user

For those travelling in Belgium, here's a list with control cities and how they're signed in either Wallonia or Flandres.

first: actual name, second: signed in the other language area

Aachen -> Aix-la-Chapelle / Aken
Antwerpen -> Anvers
Brugge -> Bruges
Brussel / Bruxelles
Charleroi -> Charleroi
Gent -> Gand
Huy -> Hoei
Kortrijk -> Courtrai
Leuven -> Louvain
Liège -> Luik
Lille -> Rijsel
Mons -> Bergen
Namur -> Namen
Nivelles -> Nijvel
Tournai -> Doornik

Of course, there are many more, but these are the most prominent cities on the signage along freeways and main roads.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #509
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6168

Aix la Chapelle, now that should be illegal.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #510
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Of course, there are many more, but these are the most prominent cities on the signage along freeways and main roads.
More translations can be found here/
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #511
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, this is the result of the endless Flanders-Wallonia discussion
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #512
Glodenox

As for the Google Earth images: the images now have a resolution of 40cm/pixel. The region Antwerp-Brussels hasn't changed though, because that region was already 15cm/pixel since 2004.

As for those names on signs: I've always been in favour of just signing them in the official language(s) of the town in question. It's just not doable to have up to 3 different names posted in just one country.

Those signs have *always* been like that though. They haven't change due to the language discussions or anything. So they're not caused by them at all. At that time it just seemed obvious that the names used would be the names that the region calls them. At that time there weren't many foreign people on our roads yet - which is completely different now.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #513
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

just a picture of the Our valley bridge (E42 next to German border) near Steinebrück I took today
image hosted on flickr
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nobody got hurt:
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #515
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

going in vacation in 2 weeks and plan to drive A11/E34/N49. Does anyone know if there are still so many traffic lights-junctions west of Zeltate?
At wikipedia (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/A11_%28Belgi%C3%AB%29) I think I read that it's planned to build it along Westkapelle to Bruges as full A11! (another link to the project: http://wegen.vlaanderen.be/wegen/mis...nks/ax-a11.pdf)

But why are they building it like this? Wouldn't be a shorter connection directly from Maldegem to Bruges be faster and more useful as west-east-connection? Is the traffic from Knokke/Sluis to Bruges so immense or is it just to have a direct connection to N31-expressway westbound of Bruges? Without N31 built completely grade-seperated there are many questions marks in my head now...
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #516
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post
going in vacation in 2 weeks and plan to drive A11/E34/N49. Does anyone know if there are still so many traffic lights-junctions west of Zeltate?
At wikipedia (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/A11_%28Belgi%C3%AB%29) I think I read that it's planned to build it along Westkapelle to Bruges as full A11! (another link to the project: http://wegen.vlaanderen.be/wegen/mis...nks/ax-a11.pdf)

But why are they building it like this? Wouldn't be a shorter connection directly from Maldegem to Bruges be faster and more useful as west-east-connection? Is the traffic from Knokke/Sluis to Bruges so immense or is it just to have a direct connection to N31-expressway westbound of Bruges? Without N31 built completely grade-seperated there are many questions marks in my head now...
Welcome in our over crowded and over sprawled Nimbyland !
Each new planned inch of concrete is the beginning of endless discussions, studies, restudies, opposite conclusions with the same result : nothing is done !
With this in mind, the accepted AX from Westkapelle to Zeebrugge can be seen as a miracle, though until the first shovel goes into the ground I wouldn't bet my house on its realisation.
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #517
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Some pics of the N25 near Nivelles/Nijvel:

Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #518
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Will this be a full profile motorway (do not know what prefix "N" means in Belgium ). In that case I find the starting point quite interesting.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #519
Glodenox

N = National Road
A = Autostrade (= motorway)

Unless they limit the speed with signs, according to the road rules, it'd be allowed to drive 120km/h there.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #520
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have driven N25 in 2007. Speed limit = 120 km/h, but I did see tractors there.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia