daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #881
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
What about the median and the roadside?
What about them? I can't see differences...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #882
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

There are differences, with the new Standard Plan everything looks more maintained and orderly because we finally have regulations on how to to do so...
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Following the collapse of two light poles on E19 motorway, over 2.000 light poles along Belgian motorways have been surveyed. 5% was in immediate need of removal and will be removed in the following days and weeks.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #884
Wimpie

Correction, 2.660 lightpoles along Flemish motorways, the states Brussels and Wallonia aren't going to undertake a similar inspection round in the nearby future.

It's about this specific type of lightpole, they have an opening on top which is normally covered with a rubber cap but they've fallen of of some of them and thus they filled up with water and rusted from the inside.

The other, more common type has not yet shown similar issues

Old February 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #885
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

They should all have been removed
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #886
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Correction, 2.660 lightpoles along Flemish motorways, the states Brussels and Wallonia aren't going to undertake a similar inspection round in the nearby future.
Chris statement wasn't incorrect, just less precise than you would have liked: Flemish motorways are (for now) Belgian motorways. ;-)

And re an earlier post of yours, what's the Standard Plan?

By the way - and this is really for site management, and please don't think I'm picking on you; it happens in lots of threads, obviously - is there any way, with pictures that are far too wide for the average browser, that one would at least have the option of reducing them in scale so one could see the whole thing? Then maybe click if you wanted a larger view? The way images are managed in Wikipedia. Personally, I don't have a clue how to do that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #887
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5407

http://s1.gva.be/imgpath/assets_img_...ie_5_460x0.jpg

http://www.standaard.be/Assets/Image...81342018_0.jpg

Video:http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=h...CYa4hAenztjIDA

There is a close up on the base where you can see they rusted on the inside...
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #888
Wimpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Chris statement wasn't incorrect, just less precise than you would have liked: Flemish motorways are (for now) Belgian motorways. ;-)

And re an earlier post of yours, what's the Standard Plan?
Literal translation of the explanation on the website of the Flemish authorities

Quote:
The Standard Specification 250 (or type frame 250) for road construction includes standard requirements for the drafting of specifications for public works related to roads, sewers, signs and landscaping.

This specification applies to public authorities (the Roads and Traffic Agency, cities, municipalities, ...), consultancies and contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
They should all have been removed
That would be the biggest mistake in human history, how are alien races going to spot us if the bright spot known as Belgium went dark
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #889
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The motorway network is good. However, there is a huge amount of 2x2 expressways going to nowhere. It could have made sense if their economy was booming but it isn't. The upside is though that Walloon cities are nowhere near congested as Flemish cities are.
Maybe, the various east-west-transit-routes could be noted there.

1/Leuven/Brussel-Bruxelles - Aachen/Aken (D)

a)signed/official (?) route - via E40 and Liége/Luik (jus
b)alternative route via NL (N76)

Just at the juction in Aachen - Brussel is signed via E40 and Liége (in the opposite direction - there is Liége for A3 and Leuven for A2 - just at the juction - immediately - after the entering of the A2 - Aachen is signed on the A2). Well, there might be more reason for that as no need to pass via NL (however it is not important issue after Schengen....) and the A3.be is the 3+3 motorway. I would rather go via N76.nl and A2. It is shorter way (sure the difference is almost zero) and the region round Liége is a bit more hilly in comparison with the countryside round Maasmechelen or Genk. The motorway N76 is certaily a good-class-highway and the junction near Stein is scheduled to be completely re-built. No doubts there is no bad decision and both routes are o.k. The interesting point is that there is no direct connection of the R0 and A2 between Leuven and the capital airport (it seems to be a similar issue as the A3 and A23 in Austria - but the capacity of A2.at as well as A3.de is high enough...)

2/"By-passing" of Brussel/Bruxelles
(E40 - route)

via the juction Lummen - A13 (E313) - Ring Antwerpen R1 - A14 (E17) - Gent - A10 (E40).

The fact is that there is almost no difference (again), it depends where is (or could be) the traffic jams - round the capital city or Antwerpen (connection to the important local port etc.) - the bigger threat. As my experience - at night - both routes are "drivable" quite easily. Maybe, it would be faster to go via E34 Antwerpen-Brugge, the pending trouble is the missing (direct) connection between A10 and the N49/N4 in Brugge....

I suppose that more alternatives route could be discovered in Belgium - the country with quite high density of its motorway-network.
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #890
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Following the collapse of two light poles on E19 motorway, over 2.000 light poles along Belgian motorways have been surveyed. 5% was in immediate need of removal and will be removed in the following days and weeks.
Sometimes the maintenace and repairs of the lamp-posts could be more tricky due to the "green jungle" just in the dividing strip. However the fact is that these green walls along the (and inside) motorway are the natural and an efficient dust and noise protection......
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #891
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5407

It is, but I don't like the feeling that for instance around Brussels your driving a 4x4 highway trough a forest while you could have nice views over the city skyline...
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #892
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
It is, but I don't like the feeling that for instance around Brussels your driving a 4x4 highway trough a forest while you could have nice views over the city skyline...
I suppose that the real threat and danger at the motorway - for drivers - is the long stereotyped (=boring) section - so these green walls must be changed by those view or another protecting segments (at least the forest should not be only the one type...).

Anyway, IMO, the drive through R0-Ring is quite varied - huge "Waterloo" forest, the airport at Zaventem, the huge flyover-bridge in Vilvoorde....
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #893
Wimpie

Correct, its a very interesting ringroad to drive on sundays during the summerholidays for it has a very diverse landscape and offers you cool panorama's on the surrounding area's.

I've made a video on the R0 in the Zoniënwoud a couple of months ago.

Quote:
The fact is that there is almost no difference (again), it depends where is (or could be) the traffic jams - round the capital city or Antwerpen (connection to the important local port etc.) - the bigger threat. As my experience - at night - both routes are "drivable" quite easily. Maybe, it would be faster to go via E34 Antwerpen-Brugge, the pending trouble is the missing (direct) connection between A10 and the N49/N4 in Brugge....
Correct, but that connection is currently under construction in the form of a semi-motorwayconnection (or primary road type 1 to be correct) which will go around Bruges and will connection the E40 and E34. It will have no at-grade intersections.
Other missing connections like the unfinished A24 will also be constructed in the form of a primary road type 1.
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #894
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

N139, N118, E34, E313 (Arendonk - Antwerpen)

In Belgium, they built a lot of houses alongside roads, giving the first impression a city like Arendonk would be huge, when in practice it is mostly that a road was filled with houses on the roadside.

Entering E34 southwest.

Noisy pavement, again, old-school

Belgian exit signaling

This sector had a lot of transversal deformations making it a bumpy ride. Hope they fix it soon.

I like these concrete median barriers paint in yellow. Gives the feel of a race track. This is interchange Ranst, we are joining

E313 is a much busier highway, with shoulder running.

Approaching Antwerpen ring road at interchange Antwerpen-Oost.
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #895
Suburbanist
on the road

Ring Antwerpen

I drove 3/4 of the Anterwpen ring road, travelling counter-clockwise from interchange Antwerpen-Oost to interchange Antwerpen Zuid. It makes a nice ring road.

Interchange Antwerpen-Noord.

Tight curved ramp, 90km/h is a quite generous speed limit.

Exit 16, horrible, totally worn-out pavement with potholes ans granulate disintegrating material blown on your windshield by passing trucks. The stack is nice, though.

A good feature in Belgium is that they often put signs in both sides of each carriageway.

Roadworks near interchange Anterwpen Haven. Does anybody know what are they building there?

Now, a sequence of 3 tunnels near the Antwerpen port. There is a toll (€ 4,50) after the second one.

Tight ramp at interchange Beveren. To the right, exit to Brugge and Gent (E34).

Exit #7 at E34. Central lane exit to Antwerpen local roads.

Interchange Antwerpen West

Interchange Antwerpen Centrum, where we exited to A12 in our way to Bruxelles.
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #896
Suburbanist
on the road

A12 Antwerpen-Bruxelles + entering Bruxelles

A12 is a parallel road to the all-highway-standards E19. It doesn't have an "E" code and comprises a patch of highway and expressway sectors. I hope they decide to fix the gaps and construct grade-separated junctions where there aren't.

Its vicinity is heavily developed, so most of it has a express + local road design. Enjoy.

Elevated sector near Groenenhoek

Approaching one of its 7 traffic-lights. It is not allowed, in some of them, to turn from A12 into crossing roads, you ought to take the local lanes before.

Trench sector up to highway standards again.

Rupeltunnel

In the median, those problematic Belgian light poles that are prone to collapse.

More traffic lights

Approaching Bruxelles (giant) ring road

Very tall light pole at interchange Strombeek-Bever

Approaching A12 terminus in Bruxelles

Bruxelles has a nice network of urban rods and expressways, many tunnels and alike. Here, the Avenue du Park Royal, leading straight to Bruxelles center. Park and Ride? No, thanks.

Trench on a rather dilapidated area near station Bruxelles Nord.

Last pics in Brussels Downtown.

I still drove a while there until my destination point, but the roads were too busy with pedestrians and bikes for me to take pictures and my companion found "odd" the idea of taking road pics.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #897
Wimpie

Nice pictures but first of all, Brussels is not only known as Bruxelles but also as Brussel. Please mention that name as well next time.

Another thing

These lightpoles are not prone to the collapsing problem as seen with the type found on the E19.

As you can see, they've been around for quite some time and they're still in excellent condition

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #898
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:

Nice pictures but first of all, Brussels is not only known as Bruxelles but also as Brussel. Please mention that name as well next time.
As the capital is bilingual, isn't enough to refer to it for any of its both names? I agree it would be strange to refer to Antwerpen as Anvers or to Liège as Liuk, as their official names are in Dutch and French, but I think is an overreaction to call for Brussel/Bruxelles to be called this way every time, isn't it?

Quote:
These lightpoles are not prone to the collapsing problem as seen with the type found on the E19.
Thanks for clarification!
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #899
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

Why can't it be called "Brussels" when writing in English? (For that matter, "Antwerpen" is "Antwerp" in English, and it's no more offensive to use English names, in English, for places that have them than it is for Dutch and Flemish people to call the capital of France "Parijs.")

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM   #900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The Belgian motorway lighting scandal continues. After a survey it was found 3,000 concrete light posts suffer from severe concrete degradation. Most of these are along E34 between Antwerpen and the Dutch border west of Eindhoven. However, the Flemish government does not have the funding to replace them all.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia