daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #901
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Yep, just read it this morning too...
Those poles are over there durability.
The concrete is rotten and the inside rebar is rusting away...

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:50 AM   #902
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
. However, the Flemish government does not have the funding to replace them all.
What about tearing them down and not replacing them? After all, motorways in the majority other countries have no light poles.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM   #903
GZT

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Nice pictures but first of all, Brussels is not only known as Bruxelles but also as Brussel. Please mention that name as well next time.
couple of screws up in your head loose?
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM   #904
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
What about tearing them down and not replacing them? After all, motorways in the majority other countries have no light poles.
Yep that would be good, But anyway, most Flemish highways have so many exits that need to be lighted that it wouldn't differ that much + these concrete poles are on highway exits and ramps and not on the median.
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM   #905
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I see. In some of the previous pics, though, poles are shown in the median... I don't know if it's like that in every Flemish motorway...
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM   #906
joshsam
JR

Quote:
I see. In some of the previous pics, though, poles are shown in the median... I don't know if it's like that in every Flemish motorway...
That is possible yes, but the concrete poles that are in need of replacement on the E313 are only on highway ramps they said...Adn yes well all Flemisch highways have poles in the median but mots likely Alu or metal ones.

Last edited by joshsam; February 21st, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM   #907
ikke72

Likes (Received): 0

hallo

Weet je misschien ook wat 1 zo een betonnen lantaarnpaal kost? en Die ijzeren palen? al dan niet met plaatsen? ben zeer geintresseerd maar kan weinig vinden over dit onderwerp. mvg
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Yep that would be good, But anyway, most Flemish highways have so many exits that need to be lighted that it wouldn't differ that much + these concrete poles are on highway exits and ramps and not on the median.
ikke72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM   #908
joshsam
JR

I have no id ikke72. I'll try to find something... Welcome by the way. But remember this is the international forum. No Dutch allowed
There is a Belgian forum in the European section under Euroscrapers
Go have a look...http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumd...s=&forumid=409
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #909
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
There are always poles in the median AND on on-/off-ramps

Like this

Poles of this type are typically found at the ramps, they're quite a deal lower as well as the median-poles.

But not only there, one can say if you need an element to point out that is typical of the Belgian roadnetwork, it is this light.

This type is typically found in medians of expressways and motorways, you'lle rarely find them on a road of a different type

Both together in their typical configuration (picture taken in 1968)

The one on the right is the altered form

Other point of view

Here you can see both types, you can also notice how tall the freeway ones look like when used to light intersections

At night

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZT View Post
couple of screws up in your head loose?
Nope, I'm just demanding justice and equal rights. But than again, people from Ghent are known to support the wrong causes...

Last edited by Wimpie; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #910
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Nope, I'm just demanding justice and equal rights. But than again, people from Ghent are known to support the wrong causes...
Does the use of any of the known, official names of the city, instead of both, make it a violation of anyone's right? I can't see how
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM   #911
Wimpie

People struggled in the past to get Dutch on an equal level with French in Belgium. Using French names of cities in international company while a Dutch or - perhaps better known - English variant is available is insulting and pure provocation in my eyes.
But I didn't contribute to this topic with some of my pictures to talk about politics so get back on it!

Last edited by Wimpie; February 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM   #912
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I have to admit, in Italian the only known form is Bruxelles, Gent is only known as Gand and Brugge as Bruges... other cities are Italianized (Antwerp-Anversa, Liège-Liegi, Leuven-Lovanio), but always through French...
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #913
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Well French and Italian are romanic languages, while Dutch isn't. In Dutch we don't translate Warszawa through a romanic language (we say Warschau like the Germans do, not Varsovie or Varsavia).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #914
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:

People struggled in the past to get Dutch on an equal level with French in Belgium. Using French names of cities in internation company while a Dutch or - perhaps better known - English variant is available is insulting and pure provocation in my eyes.
But I didn't contribute to this topic with some of my pictures to talk about politics so get back on it!
Well, perhaps it makes up for Google Maps labeling everything in Brussels in Dutch, and only Dutch. As was the case when they first started out (they seem to have fixed it now.) But seriously, if you don't mind my saying so, if Suburbanist (who lives in Tilburg, after all) didn't mean to insult or provoke you, I don't think it's fair for you to accuse him of doing so. It's bad enough that certain Belgians are always at each other's throats on this stuff, to the point where a really pretty nice country that's only the size of Maryland is in danger of breaking up over what to a considerable degree are 19th-century grievances, without expecting those of us who aren't Belgian to know all the nuances of Belgian (particularly Flemish) linguistic hypersensitivity.

OK?

(EDIT: Posted this before I read your PM....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 23rd, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM   #915
GCarty

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well French and Italian are romanic languages, while Dutch isn't. In Dutch we don't translate Warszawa through a romanic language (we say Warschau like the Germans do, not Varsovie or Varsavia).
It may be spelt the same as in German, but wouldn't it be pronounced "warss-KHOW" in Dutch rather than the German "varsh-OW"?
GCarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM   #916
Wimpie

No, we do pronounceit almost exactly the same as in German, so "War-show" (in Flanders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It's bad enough that certain Belgians are always at each other's throats on this stuff, to the point where a really pretty nice country that's only the size of Maryland is in danger of breaking up over what to a considerable degree are 19th-century grievances, without expecting those of us who aren't Belgian to know all the nuances of Belgian (particularly Flemish) linguistic hypersensitivity.

OK?

(EDIT: Posted this before I read your PM....)

Without going in to deep on this subject, did you know that the Belgian constitution was translated to Dutch only in 1967, 137 years after Belgium was founded as a country with 2 official languages (French & Dutch)? The end of the 60's was dominated in Flanders by the Flemish protesting to demand equal rights. Both civil, legal and personal, only then we were equal. In about the same period the black population in the US tried to obtain equallity.

Did you know that many public infrastructural projects were built in the first half of the past century to support the oh-so-poor-Flemish? Industry was forbidden to settle in Flanders, only the roads, railways and canals that were built to transport the goods were allowed to be in Flanders. The harbor of Antwerp, now the second biggest one in Europe, had and explosive growth in the 60's (yes, when were finally able to be allowed to take care of ourselves). I could bring up many more things but its just to show that it is not only about 19th century greevances

Last edited by Wimpie; February 23rd, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM   #917
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

I'm afraid you're losing your time, Wimpie. He already made up his mind. We're the 'bad guys'. Accept it.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM   #918
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Geez, the point (as least mine) is not making my mind about "bad" or "good" guys. The capital of Belgium has two names. They both refer to the same place, there is no doubt about it. I don't like writing English names of European cities if I know the original ones.

I am not making any statement calling the capital of Belgium "Brussel" or "Bruxelles".

This whole language madness only makes things worse. For instance: direction signs on highways are helpful for drivers unfamiliar with the area (these days less than before due to GPS systems). Belgians decided not to put signs with the names the cities are most known, e.g., their original (Dutch or French) ones. So, it might give a "feel-good" conscious to sign "Anvers" in Liège or to sign "Liuk" in Antwerpen, but that doesn't help at all drivers looking for those cities.

Those already stubbornly drawn in these language wars (useless nowadays when, I suppose, Belgians educated in Belgium have knowledge of both languages) already know how cities are known. Those unfamiliar with 19th century grievances might find themselves lost in the highways trying to figure out Liuk = Liège and Anvers = Antwerpen.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #919
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Will you guys knock it off please? Just call the place Brussels: it's a perfectly acceptable and official English name for the city, and that way no-one will be offended. I agree that it's a bit strange to see someone from the Netherlands refer to Brussels as 'Bruxelles', but it's no reason to get your knickers in a twist. Oh and 'justice', 'equal rights'? Really? Slightly over the top, especially coming as it does from someone who less than a week ago happily referred to a certain area in Brussels as the 'Noordwijk', and not 'Noordwijk / L'Espace Nord'. ( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=#post72822959 )

Either practice what you preach, or stop preaching.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #920
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
I'm afraid you're losing your time, Wimpie. He already made up his mind. We're the 'bad guys'. Accept it.
That was unfair. En je weet het. Excuseer je, asjeblieft.

You're not helping your cause by this sort of behavior in international company.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia