daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1041
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Besides that, I've drivin around Rome once and there are massieve projects around Rome that where never finished either. Next to the Italian A12 highway you can see tons of never used bridges and miles concrete pillars in the fields next to it for an incompleted highway or railwaytrack maybe...

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1042
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

When it comes to road, the Italians seem to think in a way that very much resemblences ours :p
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Various Belgian media report the 2010 traffic volume on R1 in Antwerpen (Berchem - Borgerhout) was 260 000 vehicles per day. While this is technically not impossible, it's not very likely, considering the 2007 traffic count was 145 000 vehicles per day. In any way, 260 000 vpd would make R1 the second-busiest motorway in Europe (after M-30 in Madrid which tops 312 000 vpd).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1044
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Various Belgian media report the 2010 traffic volume on R1 in Antwerpen (Berchem - Borgerhout) was 260 000 vehicles per day. While this is technically not impossible, it's not very likely, considering the 2007 traffic count was 145 000 vehicles per day. In any way, 260 000 vpd would make R1 the second-busiest motorway in Europe (after M-30 in Madrid which tops 312 000 vpd).
I saw a headline and blurb on De Standaard's site yesterday (didn't try to read the article) that I didn't understand and can't find now. Something about the Antwerp ring carring more vehicles and the Brussels one being busier....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #1045
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Brussels ring road is more congested because the intensity / capacity ratio is worse (180 000 vehicles on six lanes vs the alleged 260 000 vehicles on 10 lanes).
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1046
joshsam
JR

You'll need to be abonnee if you want to read the full article, but this is what I could find:

Quote:
Antwerpse ring drukste snelweg van Vlaanderen
woensdag 06 april 2011, 05u00Auteur: (vhn) BRUSSEL - Tussen Borgerhout en Berchem passeren elke dag 260.000 voertuigen, waarvan iets meer dan een vijfde vrachtwagens. Wegvakken op de Antwerpse ring, bijvoorbeeld tussen de afritten Antwerpen-Zuid en Berchem, maken nagenoeg de complete top tien uit van de meest drukke snelwegen in Vlaanderen.
http://www.standaard.be/artikel/deta...ring+antwerpen

Quote:
GVA:
05/04 De Antwerpse ring is de allerdrukste snelweg van Vlaanderen. Tussen Berchem en Borgerhout passeren maar liefst 260.000 chauffeurs per dag.

Het aantal voertuigen op de ring is een absoluut record. De cijfers komen van de zogenaamde detectielussen, kabels in de weg die verbonden zijn met een meettoestel. In die meetsystemen is de laatste jaren tien miljoen euro geïnvesteerd.

Ter vergelijking: op de Brusselse ring staat op sommige plaatsen 16 uur file per dag. Tussen Jette en Zellik passeren 186.000 voertuigen. Dat is minder dan in Antwerpen, maar er zijn ook minder rijstroken.

Het aantal vrachtwagens is ook gestegen op onze wegen. In Antwerpen is een vijfde van het verkeer vrachtverkeer.
http://www.gva.be/nieuws/binnenland/...n-video-2.aspx

There is a nice vid on that page where you can see the everyday traffic jams and show you the detection system.. They also speak about the Brussels RO ps: Anyone know how to add a movie from adobe flashplayer like the one above?)

Articles: Between borgerhout and berchem, 260.000 vehicules drive everyday. More than 1/5 are trucks going and departing from the harbour of Antwerp. The numbers are recorded by detection systems that are build in the roads pavement.
For compairison; On the Brussels RO drive 186.000 vehicules/day and that results in 16hours of traffic jams/day.

Now I would like to know about traffic volumes on the E313, it's only a 2x2 higway for the most part but it's always jammed towards Antwerp...
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #1047
ChrisZwolle
Road user

At 2x2, about 90 000 - 100 000 is really the max. (which means near-constant congestion).
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1048
joshsam
JR

So how would they come at 260.000 for he R1? Like you said that is impossible...
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1049
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
At 2x2, about 90 000 - 100 000 is really the max. (which means near-constant congestion).
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.997055

"Vehicles per day per direction"

So for E313 around Hasselt it would be around 74 000. Even though I think it gets the busiest around the last 25km before Antwerp...

Some more highwaysrelated news:

New campaign to protect motorcyclists
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...ek_en/1.996425

Higher taxes on Diesel cars:
http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...ek_en/1.996397
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1050
joshsam
JR

This study: http://www.ersvlimburg.be/upload/401...eserapport.pdf

Says that afther merging with the E34, an thus when becoming a 3x3 highway, it handles between 137.000 and 150.000 vehicules a day. It also say that on an average day the E313 before merging with the E34 handles an average of 72.000 vehicules/day
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1051
joshsam
JR

Replacement E313 Beringen-Ham

The E313 Highway between Ham end Beringen will be fully replaced. Budget= 20million EURO.
Works already began a 21 march and will end in oktober.
First 3 bridges will be renewed, those have already been done.

next:

-Breaking up of all the fundations
-Reconstruction of the fundation in continuous reinforced concrete.
-New sewer system
-New concrete noice barriers (across the whole E313 in Limburg, I noticed them being placed in Hasselt yesterday)
-New steel crash barriers

but no new illumination

The road will be fully broken op on both sides at Tessenderlo and trafiic wil have to take the parralell roads there. In other section the traffic wil pass at one side of the road and the shoulders will be widened to handle the traffic.

http://www.wegenenverkeer.be/images/...essenderlo.gif

This is a pic that was in my newspaper today. couldn't find it on the internet so I scanned it...

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1052
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow that is a serious renovation! Too bad they don't widen it at the same time too...
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1053
joshsam
JR

Yes ineed, maybe they've thought about it in the new design so they can easely ad a new lane in the future, but I doubt it
Anyway i'm glad they finally do something about this highway, full of puttholes and pavement that looks like patchwork.

Anyway, I hope we have a gouvernment soon, The NVA has forseen much more funding for highways and roads in Flanders (not in Wallonia because they voted for a party that doesn't want to change the budget for highways) So a lot of new projects on Flander's highways will follow the coming years...Finally!

Last edited by joshsam; April 9th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #1054
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, masterplan Antwerpen 2020 is badly needed. If nothing is done Antwerpen region will face a complete and total collapse of traffic. Truck traffic alone will occupy 4 - 6 lanes on some motorways, leaving no or little space for other traffic. The saturation and the lack of redundancy of the Antwerpen regional road network are already severe.
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #1055
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Funny you should mention that: saw this last night on De Standaard's site -

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/deta...MF20110408_157

EDIT: and what's the "new A102"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; April 9th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #1056
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Anyway, I hope we have a gouvernment soon, The NVA has forseen much more funding for highways and roads in Flanders (not in Wallonia because they voted for a party that doesn't want to change the budget for highways) So a lot of new projects on Flander's highways will follow the coming years...Finally!
I'm trying to get my head around this paragraph: I thought highways are a regional matter; is the funding federal? And it seems odd to me that the budget would treat the regions differently.... (And do Flemings and francophones end up fighting over how much highway funding there would be in Brussels, although I guess there aren't a lot of highways there....?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1057
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
I thought highways are a regional matter; is the funding federal?
Yes, they are regional, as is the funding. So there being a new federal government should have no effect on planned investments on highways.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #1058
joshsam
JR

[QUOTE=Penn's Woods;75770795]I'm trying to get my head around this paragraph: I thought highways are a regional matter; is the funding federal? And it seems odd to me that the budget would treat the regions differently.... (And do Flemings and francophones end up fighting over how much highway funding there would be in Brussels, although I guess there aren't a lot of highways there....?)[/QUOTE]

Only like 3 miles of motorway or so because RO is mostly on Flemisch territory.
Anyway sometimes I don't get the funding things myself, but the average belgian doen't lies awake at night from that :p
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1059
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
So how would they come at 260.000 for he R1? Like you said that is impossible...
The R1 is not 2x2 but more 2x5 or even 2x6 at the widest point (like here).

So 260.000 is not that impossible.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1060
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

[QUOTE=joshsam;75823689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm trying to get my head around this paragraph: I thought highways are a regional matter; is the funding federal? And it seems odd to me that the budget would treat the regions differently.... (And do Flemings and francophones end up fighting over how much highway funding there would be in Brussels, although I guess there aren't a lot of highways there....?)[/QUOTE]

Only like 3 miles of motorway or so because RO is mostly on Flemisch territory.
Anyway sometimes I don't get the funding things myself, but the average belgian doen't lies awake at night from that :p
Does that mean that the signs in the Flemish of the ring only in Dutch and the bit in Brussels in both languages?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia