daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1061
Josh
City Geek

[QUOTE=DanielFigFoz;75828999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post

Does that mean that the signs in the Flemish of the ring only in Dutch and the bit in Brussels in both languages?
Yes
Josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1062
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

Indeed. But it's more complicated than that. There are also municipalities with language facilities where everything is also bilingual signed.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1063
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Klauw View Post
Indeed. But it's more complicated than that. There are also municipalities with language facilities where everything is also bilingual signed.
No, because the R0 is a regional highway, signage is only in Duth. Facilities are only applied on municipal roads.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #1064
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

I've found out that Josh is right. The signage of the R0 in the municipalities with language facilities is unilingual Dutch. I didn't knew that.

Last edited by De Klauw; April 11th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1065
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19416

Correct. Brussels is a primary example of some of the worst clutter on signs due to the bilinguality, especially along the westside.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #1066
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Correct. Brussels is a primary example of some of the worst clutter on signs due to the bilinguality, especially along the westside.
Except we just established that the R0 isn't in Brussels for very long. :-P
(It does though, if you go far enough south, enter Wallonia and thus switch from Dutch to French.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #1067
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
No, because the R0 is a regional highway, signage is only in Duth. Facilities are only applied on municipal roads.
Are you sure? The third sign in this set - which is a mess - must be in Mouscron, I think....

http://gallery.autosnelwegen.net/BE-A17.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #1068
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Except we just established that the R0 isn't in Brussels for very long. :-P
(It does though, if you go far enough south, enter Wallonia and thus switch from Dutch to French.)
I didn't want to take it into autistic-level correctness, anyone would identify the R0 as being in the Brussels region, it serves the city directly although being technically just outside the borders of the region itself.

image hosted on flickr

foto 136 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

foto 138 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1069
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are you sure? The third sign in this set - which is a mess - must be in Mouscron, I think....

http://gallery.autosnelwegen.net/BE-A17.html
Yes that's in Wallonia, the Flemish government only applies facilities on municipal roads (concerning signs).
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #1070
Filou
Urban dweller

Likes (Received): 2561

Quote:
Yes that's in Wallonia, the Flemish government only applies facilities on municipal roads (concerning signs).
Maybe they changed it in recent years, but I always remembered the signs in Wemmel to be bilingual.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1071
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou View Post
Maybe they changed it in recent years, but I always remembered the signs in Wemmel to be bilingual.
Yes signs in Wemmel are bilingual but not on the R0. I dunno when it was changed but probably somewhere after the Peeters omzendbrief which changed the interpretation given to facilities.

This is a sign on the R0 on Wemmel territory. It's not very clear but you can see it's only in Dutch :

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1072
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I didn't want to take it into autistic-level correctness, anyone would identify the R0 as being in the Brussels region, it serves the city directly although being technically just outside the borders of the region itself.

image hosted on flickr

foto 136 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

foto 138 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
What I meant was, since most (by no means all) of the Ring is on Flemish territory (and in areas without "facilities"), I'm not sure how much bilingual signage you'd actually be seeing on it: in most places it should be Dutch-only.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1073
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Really? Shouldn't it be the same on both sides? Somewhere on the internet you can see bilingual signs on the very short stretch of the A25/E25 in the Voerstreek....

And if it isn't the same on both sides, I wouldn't alert Le Soir! You'll start the "polémique communautaire" of the week.

(Yes, I realize it's bizarre, perhaps "autistic," that I know this stuff. It fascinates me.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1074
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

[QUOTE=Josh;75831455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post

Yes
Thanks!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1075
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Sign question, from Chris's collection:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriszw...7612745395931/

What's the thing on the right mean - the diamond with a bar through it? I thought it meant the end of a priority road, but does that make sense on a freeway?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #1076
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

If I got the location right, further on the road there's an interchange with other freeways. No matter which direction you take on it, you will have to merge with another freeway. So the signs are placed correctly to show that you're no longer on a priority road, but will be merging with another freeway that is a priority road.

Note for others: this is where I think this sign is pointing towards: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.670354,5.483079&z=15 (Hognoul is located in the Northwest from that exchange)

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #1077
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Wow that is a serious renovation! Too bad they don't widen it at the same time too...
Crevits said that space for an aditional lane and hard shoulder will be foreseen in this project as wel as in other major infrastructural projects on the E313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Yes, they are regional, as is the funding. So there being a new federal government should have no effect on planned investments on highways.
Taxes are federal and are used to finance the regional budjets. A diferent federal policy and political connection between the federal and regional level might have a huge influence on the amount of roads and highways built in the different states of Belgium.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #1078
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WTF some Belgians attached a swing set to a bridge across the Antwerpen Ring Road.

Old April 24th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1079
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Worst part of it all is that they most likely caused 2 (non-serious) accidents to happen.

They were part of a group of 80 cyclists who wanted to show their concern for the lack of open space in Belgium. Those two felt that it wasn't spectacular enough, so they decided to spice it up a bit. I'd personally at least fine them as "trespassing on motorway as pedestrian" since they're almost at the height of the vehicles can no longer be seen as on the bridge.

Now they're "investigating" whether there's any relation between this action and the accidents. It seems to me that all you can investigate there is: could the drivers see those idiots from where it happened and do they mention them in their story of how the accident took place. Shouldn't be more than 5 minutes work. But I guess that's just me.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1080
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Goedenavond/Bonsoir!

I'm playing with Google maps and just came across a road outside Liège marked "P415" (it's in the middle of this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.109692&z=13) And I saw a couple of Ps down in the province of Luxembourg on another playing-with-maps session a few days ago.

Are these provincial roads? I've checked both of these findings against three paper road atlases* and they're not there, and I've never noticed any other "P" roads on paper maps.... Are they actually marked?

*The 2010 Michelin Benelux road atlas, a Geocart Benelux road atlas which has no date but I bought it a year or two ago, and this fabulous publication: http://www.amerigo.nl/belgie/9020948539.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia