daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #101
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I once drove on the dutch A67, one of the 2 dutch highways that go from Germany to Belgium. These roads are 2×2, with one lane full of lorries. Most of these trucks are heading for Antwerp harbour or the Oostende ferry.

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #102
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
of course because all the trucks from Europe (except E, P, F and partially I) go to ferry in Calais via Belgium because it's cheaper to pay belgian toll than french
i can approve it, i was often at e40 and the whole traffic between brussel and oostende is horrible, but is there any toll for trucks in belgium?
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM   #103
Wallaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Belgium style of road maintenance

E42 Liège - Namur
I think it depends on weather you are in Vallonia or Flandern. When I was in Flandern last summer, I was very impressed by all the motorways and ordinary roads I saw, and they were the best I have ever seen in Europe. That there also are lightpoles on every km of motorway doesnt hurt either...
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Heavy traffic accidents happen almost daily in Belgium, because the roads are too crowded with trucks. This one happened today on the E17

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM   #105
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Looks like Chriszwolle is making great publicity for our country in this thread... Has some Belgian ever done something bad to you?
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM   #106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No offense to Belgium, I love Belgium

However, no one else posts some in this topic, so I do it
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM   #107
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

I once drove a belgian motorway - all that I remember is they were perfectly plain and straight, and the lightning was great, it was very light even though I drove at night.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #108
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

A journalist has been taking pictures of how truck drivers are driving their truck yesterday... The pictures were clear enough to explain the accidents that take place: one was reading, the other one was watching at another truck driver next to him, one was driving with his feet on the steering wheel, another one was calling and looking around in his cabin for something, and the list goes on...

As long as police isn't going to pay attention to these reckless drivers, more accidents are going to take place. And the economical damage of one such accident can often go in the hundreds of thousands of Euro, so it's really worth taking care of!

Apart from that, I personally don't have many bad experiences with our Belgian motorways. There are some very smooth ones, there are some rough ones, some need to have their lay-out changed, some are perfect. There's a bit of everything. The lights really help making everything more secure, but are of course expensive.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #109
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox
A journalist has been taking pictures of how truck drivers are driving their truck yesterday... The pictures were clear enough to explain the accidents that take place: one was reading, the other one was watching at another truck driver next to him, one was driving with his feet on the steering wheel, another one was calling and looking around in his cabin for something, and the list goes on...
This is, unfortunately, one of the reasons why they have forbidden cruise control. I still don't get why this is so worse in Belgium compared to other countries. The police is quite strict for truck drivers. If you get stopped by the police they'll always find something to fine you.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #110
convalescence

i personally don't like the belgian interchanges, they are often built confusing

i once drove from maastricht to verviers and at the E25/E40 interchange near liege we suddenly had to stop on the road, this can't be motorway standard!

here you can see the situation when you come from maastricht (north) and want to go at the roundabout...
http://maps.google.de/maps?q=herstal...05021&t=k&z=18
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #111
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Yeah, there are a lot of horrible interchanges in Belgium. Cheratte (the one you're reffering to) must be one of the worst.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #112
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The same is in the northwestern corner of the Milan motorway ring. Quite scary.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #113
convalescence

another horrible situation are the narrow curves at the e42 in Verviers! there are speed limits of 100 km/h and at one narrow curve even 80 (worse than the one at the picture) and you really can't drive faster...does anyone know how many accidents happen at the e42 through verviers?

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I made a video of that section of the E42. Quite a spectacular descent.

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #115
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

indeed! it should get slow lane. what is the speed of the trucks there? is it under 60 km/h?
and i've been expecting runnaway tracks all the time and then only one appeared at the end, and it was strongly promoted much earlier
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #116
Timon91
Error

It indeed takes a very long time before the runaway track appears. They should put one before the Verviers Est exit, that'd make it much safer if a truck gets in trouble.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Again a heavy accident on the E17 Antwerpen -> Gent

Old June 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #118
Timon91
Error

This is a very severe accident. Did anyone get killed? I mean, it doesn't seem to me that you can get out of that car on the first pic alive.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #119
Meurisse
Architect-Urbanist

Likes (Received): 4807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Belgian style accident at R2:
lol, belgian style indeed.

On the R1 (ring of Antwerp): around 500 accidents every year...

Hopefully making our ringroad a RING and adding a city ringroad will solve this dangerous situation...
Meurisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:45 AM   #120
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Are all motorways in Belgium lit up? I drove from the NL border to Antwerp and on to Brussels a couple of weeks ago and I think there were lights along the whole stretch.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia