daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1261
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

Thank you

Another thing I'm quite interested at, is the lumination at the roads and highways, I take pictures from all kinds of lightpoles.

Here's an example, this is the picture you also see in my avatar, tomorrow you see more:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1262
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Would be great to see some details on Belgian Highways
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1263
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Quite old Belgian sign (location: R0 Groenendaal):

Old model traffic light in Brugge (Bruges):

Pictures of Belgian lightpoles:

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1264
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Some Flemish motorways will no longer be lit at night (article in French):

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/...n-flandre.html
I don't know Flemish well enough to understand the other article for comparison, but I can see that the Francophones here complain and ridicule the Flemish, calling them "englighted". This seems to me out of place, for the Francophones (as far as I know) are 1/3 poorer per capita than the Flemish, and would need to "Úconomiser" much more than their neighbours.

The proposed cuts seem sensible, lights will be reduced except around merging lanes, accidents and construction sites.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #1265
joshsam
JR

Deosn't matter. Belgium will face problems in energy suply the next decade because Nuclear powerplants are gonna close and alternatives are not effective enough. (stupid desicion if you ask me, like in Germany). Motorway lightbulbs use a lot power so shutting them down will help reduce power usage.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1266
joshsam
JR

@davidoff:
Thanks for the pictures on Belgian lampposts
Do you also have a pic of those type of lampposts that are strangeled into each other?
like this: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/33099...=kh.google.com
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1267
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
When is Belgium starting to upgrade it's motorway network? Even Poland is starting to straddle into the 21st century now, and the new A4 is a joy to drive on. They've had major roadworks on the Antwerp ringroad on the stretch Gent to Breda, and they preicted that the road will hold for 30 years. But I wasn't impressed when they delivered it. On the E17 on the Gent viaduct you notice that once in a while the beat changes when you drive over it. Antwerp-Eindhoven is like a railtrack. It seems to me they have done the E411 between Namur and Luxemburg twice 5 years ago, with contraflow traffic in place for 20 km. In the summer season! Roadsigns are messy, and they are fighting a language war on them.
I spoke to a Belgian driver about this once, and he blamed the Dutch lorrydrivers transiting through Belgium. But Dutch roads are like carpet....
Your comment makes no sense whatsoever from the first word till the last. Some of this might have been true 10 years ago but especially the Flemish network is in near excellent condition today. The Antwerp ringroad looks and drives great, especially knowing that is has been reconstructed in concrete.
Plus the biggest mistake that you are making is that there ISN'T A BELGIAN ROADNETWORK. Flanders, Brussels CR and Wallonia are all responsible for their own roadnetwork.
Quote:
Another nice anecdote. You know how in Belgium, they announce roadworks and lane closures up to 3000 metres before start? Three tears ago they were going to resurface a few km of road on the E40 at Adinkerke / Veurne. Starting right on the border with France coming from Calais. And out they came with the warning shields and their ridiculous big cones with the flashing light-bulbs, and they started lining everything up 3000 metres into France. At least they posted the warnings in both French and Flemish. The French, quite right as they are, threw everything back over the border back into Belgium, and started announcing the lane closure with their own diagram signs - and using their own medium size cones 600 metres before the border and the actual roadworks. With no more information then necessary, like in the most of Europe.
What the hell are you trying to say with this one, that it is a bad thing to announce road works well in advance?

Last edited by Wimpie; July 3rd, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #1268
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
I don't know Flemish well enough to understand the other article for comparison, but I can see that the Francophones here complain and ridicule the Flemish, calling them "englighted". This seems to me out of place, for the Francophones (as far as I know) are 1/3 poorer per capita than the Flemish, and would need to "Úconomiser" much more than their neighbours.

The proposed cuts seem sensible, lights will be reduced except around merging lanes, accidents and construction sites.
Are you talking about the article itself, or the comments? I think the readership of La Libre Belgique is relatively to the right (it was traditionally a Catholic paper), things in Belgium are (at least on the Internet), um, tense these days. And Internet comments are often ridiculous, if entertaining to the outsider.

And as some point out, Wallonia - the French-speaking region - has made a similar move already.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #1269
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Your comment makes no sense whatsoever from the first word till the last. Some of this might have been true 10 years ago but especially the Flemish network is in near excellent condition today. The Antwerp ringroad looks and drives great, especially knowing that is has been reconstructed in concrete.
Plus the biggest mistake that you are making is that there ISN'T A BELGIAN ROADNETWORK. Flanders, Brussels CR and Wallonia are all responsible for their own roadnetwork.

What the hell are you trying to say with this one, that it is a bad thing to announce road works well in advance?
As a Euro-driver, I will judge a motorway by country. I will not get involved with local childish slapstick language wars. Belgian roadsigns are downright confusing, because they are fighting a war on it, while the sole purpose of a roadsign is to give directions. Antwerp ringroad hasn't improved, and the mere fact that there is a busy left-hand lane exit after the Kennedy tunnel causing congestion only proves my point that Belgium is lacking a modern transit system. The way they are announcing roadworks is horrible. There is a reason why countries like Germany and France are announing lane closures only 600 mtrs before. It reduces congestion. People won't panic 3 km up the road! When it comes to transportation in Belgium, Belgium is lacking well behind its European partners. It's not only my opinion as an experienced Euro-driver. It's a well-known fact. Take a look at the billiungal road sign thread. Somehow, there is always that same old sign from the Kortrijk area popping up. These are from people acknowledging that Belgian's road network are far from efficient. Are you a Belgian? Do you feel attacked? Too bad. It's my opinion.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #1270
Karnoit

Likes (Received): 1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post

Obviously you don't know french enough either to make the difference between the article (which is totally correct) and the first comment of the readers (which is a harmless joke).

And the ones that are 1/3 poorer than their neighbours already took the same decision in 2007
Karnoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1271
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Well, why isn't in effect yet?

Quote:
As a Euro-driver, I will judge a motorway by country. I will not get involved with local childish slapstick language wars. Belgian roadsigns are downright confusing, because they are fighting a war on it, while the sole purpose of a roadsign is to give directions. Antwerp ringroad hasn't improved, and the mere fact that there is a busy left-hand lane exit after the Kennedy tunnel causing congestion only proves my point that Belgium is lacking a modern transit system. The way they are announcing roadworks is horrible. There is a reason why countries like Germany and France are announing lane closures only 600 mtrs before. It reduces congestion. People won't panic 3 km up the road! When it comes to transportation in Belgium, Belgium is lacking well behind its European partners. It's not only my opinion as an experienced Euro-driver. It's a well-known fact. Take a look at the billiungal road sign thread. Somehow, there is always that same old sign from the Kortrijk area popping up. These are from people acknowledging that Belgian's road network are far from efficient. Are you a Belgian? Do you feel attacked? Too bad. It's my opinion.

If you really have that much experience on the European roadnetwork, you're really bad on making judgements. We've got an excellent roadnetwork, that's a fact, not you're subjective opinion. We're not fighting a language war on roadsigns, we don't use our infrastructure for that. Signs are either in Dutch in Flanders, in French in Wallonia or Billingual in Brussels. We fought our language war in the 60's, we fought to get rid of the Apartheid in Belgium that limited the Flemish majority and give it the same rights as immigrants. Today we keep on fighting to keep our rights and defend our economic superiority.

About announcing roadworks, if you don't announce them well in advance, people will get killed and that's a fact. If I were responsible for it, I would rather have an extra long trafficjam than 7 people getting killed because they didn't see it comming.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1272
Karnoit

Likes (Received): 1563

Quote:

It is. Between 00.30 and 05.30 except during harsh winter and in dangerous area. Now if you're so cocky that you can't admit that Wallonia may sometimes take good decisions and make use of it before Flanders I can't help you.
Karnoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1273
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

I've made another video, this time from the Expressway N31 Bruges - Zeebrugge, one of the busiest N-road in Flandres.

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1274
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

If you really have that much experience on the European roadnetwork, you're really bad on making judgements. We've got an excellent roadnetwork, that's a fact, not you're subjective opinion. We're not fighting a language war on roadsigns, we don't use our infrastructure for that. Signs are either in Dutch in Flanders, in French in Wallonia or Billingual in Brussels. We fought our language war in the 60's, we fought to get rid of the Apartheid in Belgium that limited the Flemish majority and give it the same rights as immigrants. Today we keep on fighting to keep our rights and defend our economic superiority.

About announcing roadworks, if you don't announce them well in advance, people will get killed and that's a fact. If I were responsible for it, I would rather have an extra long trafficjam than 7 people getting killed because they didn't see it comming.
You're a moron. You're fighting a language war. You're not having a debate about the efficiency of motorways, you are just spewing your Flemish-Nationalist rants, trying to convince us that the Flemish are actually superior. I won't get involved in your political discussions, I'm here to discuss motorways.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1275
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

It's no use arguing with him. He simply denies any negative remark on the quality of Flemish institutions, infrastructure, roadsignage, etcetera. Not only on this forum, by the way.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1276
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviedoff View Post
I've made another video, this time from the Expressway N31 Bruges - Zeebrugge, one of the busiest N-road in Flandres.

Thanks! I enjoyed watching between all the talking

@Wimpie. Yes roads in Flanders are in much better condition than in Wallonia, there is no-one who is going to deny that. It's very noticable when driving. But, when looking to other countries, you can't deny that our highway system is outdated, regardless if the road surface is good condition or not. It's the small things like modern lighting, new crash barriers, good looking roadsignage, trimming of the greenery next to the highway,... that make a highway looking good to. And that we don't have. There may be some new, some parts are better and newer than others, especially in the Flemisch diamond, but it would be great to see that everything gets replaced and doesn't stay their for another 40 years.

Just when looking to the vids of davidoff, you can see roadsurfaces are in good condition overall. But you can also notice other things that are in less good condition...
But you can also see that thing are being improved. If we ever get a gouvernment with N-VA, there will be lots of money for reconstruction of roads, at least, that is the intention.

Last edited by joshsam; July 4th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1277
Road_UK
BANNED

QUESTION

A few years ago on the N4 between Arlon and Namur, I've noticed they were experimenting with a French-style hard shoulder lay-out. With interrupted linings. I haven't been on that road since, I only used it once to avoid congestion on the E411.

Any idea what happened to that trial scheme? Did it work out?
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1278
joshsam
JR

Can you post an example? I've never seen such things. But since it's an N-road, Walloon gouvernment can do with it what they want...
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1279
Road_UK
BANNED

This photo is taken in France. You see the interrupted hard shoulder line.
The N4 in Belgium is a National route, a dual carriageway with motorway characters and a hard shoulder. As a trial scheme they've implemented a French style hard shoulder layout as posted in the photo above.

I just wondered if it worked out or not... And is it still there?
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #1280
joshsam
JR

I've never seen such things on hard sholders in Belgium. I do know that in Wallonia, the space between the two directions can be painted like this with two white interrupting lines with space in between. I've never drivin on the N4 so I can't tell.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgiŰ, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia