daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1281
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

This is the N4, photo taken in October 2009:

As you can see with interrupted hard shoulder lines .

I'm not sure, but I thougt there was also a small piece (+/- 3 km.) at de E403/A17 highway nearby Moeskroen/Moescron with the same kind of interrupted lines.

Last edited by Daviedoff; July 5th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1282
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Daviedoff you're the man!!!!!!!!!

Are they still there?

I've never seen them at or near Moeskroen. Well, I have - but that was across the border in France (Tourcoing) .

Edit: Have you noticed how I wrote Moeskroen only? This is to protect Wimpie from getting a heart infarct..

Last edited by Road_UK; July 5th, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1283
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Well this is new to me
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1284
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Thanks! I enjoyed watching between all the talking

@Wimpie. Yes roads in Flanders are in much better condition than in Wallonia, there is no-one who is going to deny that. It's very noticable when driving. But, when looking to other countries, you can't deny that our highway system is outdated, regardless if the road surface is good condition or not. It's the small things like modern lighting, new crash barriers, good looking roadsignage, trimming of the greenery next to the highway,... that make a highway looking good to. And that we don't have. There may be some new, some parts are better and newer than others, especially in the Flemisch diamond, but it would be great to see that everything gets replaced and doesn't stay their for another 40 years.

Just when looking to the vids of davidoff, you can see roadsurfaces are in good condition overall. But you can also notice other things that are in less good condition...
But you can also see that thing are being improved. If we ever get a gouvernment with N-VA, there will be lots of money for reconstruction of roads, at least, that is the intention.
What's the "Flemish diamond"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1285
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Last edited by Daviedoff; July 5th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #1286
joshsam
JR

It's the most densly populated area of Belgium.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1287
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Quote:
But, when looking to other countries, you can't deny that our highway system is outdated, regardless if the road surface is good condition or not. It's the small things like modern lighting, new crash barriers, good looking roadsignage, trimming of the greenery next to the highway,... that make a highway looking good to. And that we don't have. There may be some new, some parts are better and newer than others, especially in the Flemisch diamond, but it would be great to see that everything gets replaced and doesn't stay their for another 40 years.
Absolutely true. When dealing with roads, the people responsible only think of the road surface, nothing else. So the result is we have pretty good roads today, BUT the surroundings (lighting, crash barriers, roadsigns,...) often look very outdated. Which makes that the overall picture of Belgian roads isn't looking good or modern. And the worst thing: nobody seems to care.

Take this (tourist sign) as example.
A dirty old sign, but it's not replaced "because you can still read it"... It gives the whole road an outdated look. I know this sign and today it looks even worse. But nobody thinks of replacing it...

image hosted on flickr
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1288
joshsam
JR

Is that sign on the E314? Because there is a sign of Hageland on there looking worse than this one...
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1289
Thermo

Quote:
Is that sign on the E314? Because there is a sign of Hageland on there looking worse than this one...
Yes it's the E314. Like I said it looks worse today (picture must be old). Further on this highway there is a sign 'Diest' that you can't even read anymore...

Last edited by Thermo; July 5th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1290
joshsam
JR

Yep, It's sad. If they just would trim those trees down, those signs wouldn't be so dirty in the first place...
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1291
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

There must be somebody who cares. I'm sure this was covered before, but what's reason for lack of maintenance?

Last edited by LtBk; July 6th, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1292
joshsam
JR

Because there is no money for it. Don't ask me why because we sure pay enough taxes (highest in Europe). I sometimes wonder where our tax money goes...Looking to The Netherlands always saddens me that we can not have such clean highways adn so much nice new projects.
All projects are almost halted because of stupid green activistes . Those really are stupid people. We live an urban country, deal with it. Go fight for the greenery somewhere else...
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1293
Thermo

Quote:
Because there is no money for it. Don't ask me why because we sure pay enough taxes (highest in Europe). I sometimes wonder where our tax money goes...Looking to The Netherlands always saddens me that we can not have such clean highways adn so much nice new projects.
All projects are almost halted because of stupid green activistes . Those really are stupid people. We live an urban country, deal with it. Go fight for the greenery somewhere else...
Money is not the problem. Like you said: we pay loads of taxes, also for the roads ("wegenbelasting"), so there is money. It's just they don't spend it on the road surroundings. BUT things have finally changed I think. You can see a clear change in the last years: slowly things get better.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1294
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
There must be somebody who cares. I'm sure this was covered before, but what's reason for lack of maintenance?
Suddenly, I'm noticing a lot of signs in Pennsylvania that are half-hidden behind trees. A criticism people often make of Belgium. I'm assuming no one wants to spend money trimming the trees, and am resisting the temptation to rant about...um, the temptation to rant.

Ahem.

By the way, as much as some people pick on the appearance of Belgium's roads, and particularly the signage, I do really like the practice of duplicating roadside exit signs and the like on both sides of the road. Not just because of the tree problem but because it's easy to miss a sign because a truck's blocking your view of it.... Never seen that anywhere else, and once you see it in Belgium it's just so obviously a good idea you wonder why.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1295
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

That spot is hard to find. I remember some images of Street View in Austria, but that was on the Brenner pass, just at the border with Italy.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1296
joshsam
JR

Very stupid private issues from Belgium I wish we had street view!
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1297
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Very stupid private issues from Belgium I wish we had street view!
There was an item in Le Soir yesterday about a Google bike (not a car) making StreetView photos in the narrow streets of the old part of Bruges, so I assumed that meant the issues had been resolved.

http://geeko.lesoir.be/2011/07/05/go...ues-de-bruges/

My translation:
"A bicycle is roaming the streets of Bruges since Tuesday, in order to make panoramic photos for the computer program Google Street View, the city's tourism official Jean-Marie Bogaert (N-VA) announced.

"From Tuesday to Thursday, this privately-owned bicycle will be used by an employee of the American company to take as many photos as possible in the Venice of the North. “Google is interested in Bruges because this city is a popular tourist destination, recognized by UNESCO as part of the world heritage," indicated the tourism official, adding that a car would not have been able as easily as a bicycle to enter all the small arteries of the city."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 7th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #1298
Tchek

Likes (Received): 136

I really wish I was the guy in the bike/car roaming the streets for Street View, all around the world! My dream job!
Tchek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1299
joshsam
JR

@ Penn, I really hope so!
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1300
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

New video, for testing my new camera (Samsung ST90). It shows a part of the E40 highway between Aalter and Nevele. At the end you see the traffic jam at the exit Aalter, this is very commun every evening rush hour.

Last edited by Daviedoff; July 9th, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgiŽ, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia