daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1381
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

In my neighborhood here in Munich, they recently installed a sign for pedestrians at most traffic lights saying "You only are safe crossing when your light is green". I guess pedestrians crossing with red light is an issue in most Europe.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1382
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

In the UK people do stop and check, but if there are no cars they proceed, just like any other pedestrian-crossing-road situation.

When I went to Germany, there were loads of people at this crossing on Bundesstrasse 7 in Wuppertal, and no one else crossed, so I didn't either, despite the fact that there were no cars at all! I had never seen that before
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1383
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

My first 2 videos in full-HD!

1. E17 Kortrijk - Gent, with the renovated section Deinze - Zwijnaarde:

2. E34 (A11, former N49) Zelzate - Antwerp (Linkeroever):

(audioswap in progress)
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1384
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Nice work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Wallonia is part of Belgium, so is Flanders, so is Brussels. I don't think Wimpie was trying to imply that they're not part of Belgium, but trying to say that the situation there is, in general, slightly worse than in Flanders. In both regions, there are still bad roads, or roads with bad signage, etc. Quite a few responsibilities have been transferred to the regions and in certain parts of all the regions it has had a very positive effect. But for a lot of regions it also had zero effect at all.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Correct, both Flanders & Wallonia both inhereted a Belgian roadnetwork. It is interesting to see how they deal with the same problems, nearly 20 years after the federalisation. I was only trying to make an objective remark, we all know Wallonia has a smaller budget for an equally large roadnetwork that was in worse state. So it will take longer for them to modernize and renovate. Problems that we dealt with in Flanders (Black Spots) might still exist unchanged in Wallonia. Give them time and they will deal with them as well.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #1385
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

@davidoff very nice new vids! I really enjoyed watching them. I like the new concrete part it makes me think of US highways...
In your second vid at 1:33 you can clearly see the zebra markings of a pedestrian crossing of where there used to be a same level crossing when it was still the N49

Last edited by joshsam; August 29th, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1386
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Today I went to Weert (nearby Eindhoven), and I've made 2 vids (again )

1. E34 Highway Ranst (Interchange E34xE313 nearby Antwerp) - Border crossing B-NL at Postel. A very "old-fashioned" road...

On my way back, I've droven over the N74, the "noord-zuid" connection in Limburg. The video shows the 2x2 expressway-part:

Enjoy the show!
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1387
joshsam
JR

Great new vids! First one in Limburg...
The N74 is on more parts an 2x2 expressway. It narrows in molenheide at the end of your vid for 3km untill it reaches Helchteren and then it's back to a 2x2 road. The closer you go to Hasselt, the busier the traffic. Afther Zonhoven, the N74 could easely use a 3rd lane on both sides, people commuting to HAsselt have 30mins delays almost every morning and evening rush hour....

Limburg is just to suburban, more than other regions, that creates a lot of traffic...
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1388
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

3 new vids, made yesterday. All in full-HD.

1. R0 Ringroad Brussel/Bruxelles north, from interchange Groot-Bijgaarden (E40 to Oostende) to interchange St-Stevens-Woluwe (E40 to Leuven, Liège).

2. N718 Melveren - Zepperen (St-Truiden, Limburg), a short expressway which has never been completely build what you clearly can see on both "ends":

3. A25/E25 Liège to Eijsden (NL), this freeway follows the river Meuse.
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Newly repaved Vilvoorde Viaduct looks very good.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1390
Wimpie

It does indeed

Some historic pictures, 1957 - 1960

The first traffic jams in 1960

Opening of the tunnels for the world expo on the small ring of Brussels in 1957

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1391
joshsam
JR

The N718 even looks worse in your vid compaired to last time I drove on it. It really is a piece of forgotten road...

The vid about R0 is really nice to watch
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1392
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Huge traffic chaos around Antwerp due to an accident in the Kennedytunnel, the road is cleared now. Here are some printscreens from www.tomtom.com/livetraffic

Sint Niklaas

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/spoiler]
Antwerpen, west of Kennedytunnel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Antwerpen, entire region:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There are still delays over 1,5 hours!
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1393
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Thanks for posting all those interesting video's and pictures of the Belgian motorways. I've got a couple of questions. Why did Belgium decide in one of many rounds of reforms, to make the motorway system a state issue instead of keeping it a federal one?
In most federations the essential infrastructure is a federal issue, like in Germany or in the US. Doesn't making it state governed, managing it very complicated? For instance, the R0 is crossing state borders a couple of times (Flanders-Brussels-Wallonia).

Also how did splitting the roadworks go in practice? I couple of weeks ago I was driving at night on the E40 from Brussels to Liège, and on the Flemish part the lights where out. I've heard that the Flemish minister for infrastructure was trying to cut costs, so she pulled the plug on the motorway network lighting. The funny thing is, the E40 crosses the state border of Flanders and Wallonia a couple of times, and on the Wallonian side the lights where on, on the Flemish parts it wasn't. I don't get how a motorway gets split in two when it crosses the border a couple of times!
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1394
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

That's not quite true about the U.S. though: the Interstate system was (90 percent) funded by the Federal government, but the states are responsibility for maintenance, signage and so on. A decision like whether to light a given road at night would be a state issue here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #1395
Wimpie

Handing over responsibility to states for this matter doesn't make it any more complicated that it is in the case of national borders. Roads cross borders in Europe as if it were US-states. The same thing goes for Belgium domestically.

This is a state bordercrossing

Last edited by Wimpie; September 7th, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1396
Green Guy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
E-routes... let's not go there. Another ****-up, but we've already established that...
Actually, as the Belgian highway system for a big part serves as a transit for traffic from and to neighbouring countries, I think the E-numbering is very practical. When driving from Amsterdam to Paris, all you have to remember is following the E19. No need to memorize anything else about the route.

What exactly is your problem with E-routes?
Green Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1397
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

You drive from Amsterdam to Paris using E19 all the way??? There is your problem.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1398
Green Guy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You drive from Amsterdam to Paris using E19 all the way??? There is your problem.
Personally I don't, as I don't live anywhere near Amsterdam. But yes, as the E19 is the European Route from Amsterdam to Paris, that would be the easiest way to go. You could also go via Antwerp-Ghent-Courtrai-Lille, but according to Google Maps that's only 7 km shorter and either way you are going to hit congestion (either Antwerp or Brussels).

So I ask you again: what is your problem with E-routes?
Green Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

As pointed out in earlier discussions on these boards, the E-route network has its deficiencies. The approach of signing E-roads varies by country, from not at all to everywhere. However, you can usually not rely on E-routes for your entire trip. Some major motorways simply do not have E-routes running across them, others were added later with an artificial E-number. Sometimes E-routes are poorly signed, and in many countries they are not signed before you're on the motorway. The main problem is that E-numbers do not always take the fastest or most logical route. In the Netherlands, E19, E22 and E25 are good examples of weird routing. E19 is not the fastest route between Breda and Amsterdam (via Utrecht is shorter and faster). E22 across the Afsluitdijk makes as much sense as using A7 from Amsterdam to Groningen. E25 runs from Maastricht to Hoek van Holland - via Utrecht!

On the other hand, the Belgian E-route system has less of these weird routings, though it can be a point of discussion if E40 is the best route between Brussels and Köln. (E314 is about the same distance and avoids the Liège metropolitan area).

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 7th, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1400
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

But if this guy from Groningen intends to follow the E22 to Sweden, then I hope he drops us a line at Rügen. I'd be dying to know what he would do next...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia