daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1481
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Why are you bringing Austria into this? We're talking about Belgium. I agree the signs in Austria are not great. Am I supposed to be offended? I'm not even Austrian, I only live in a ski resort, spending most of my time driving around Europe in a van. Your roads and signs suck. Get over it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1482
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
As a Belgian I disagree, you know as well as I do that internally lit signage in the Flemish state of Belgium is always of this quality. Which is to me personally quite well.
Flemish state of Belgium? You are off your head!
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1483
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
As a Belgian I disagree, you know as well as I do that internally lit signage in the Flemish region of Belgium is always of this quality. Which is to me personally quite well.
Who mentioned the subset of signs that are internally lit? I'm talking about motorway signs in general. And way too many of them are full of SNV Engschrift, have four focals for the route ahead and have poorly aligned focals for the exit. And I was mentioning how poor the continuation of route numbers is on the Antwerp ring road.

I don't care how many of those poor signs are internally lit, I only care about the fact that they are poor. Internal lighting only plays a role when lights become defunct. Of which I also ran into a not so nice example last Friday night.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1484
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Internal lighting makes overhead signs visible. It's either internal or external lighting. A car will only help if you put on full beams, but then you start blinding other people (which was about the only negative thing I encountered several times on the Dutch motorways last Saturday).

I would love it if the Belgian motorway signs would get a couple of styling upgrades, but if the rules that are set down are followed (sadly enough not always the case in certain provinces), they should be very readable at high speeds. Compared to other countries, I also find the exit signalling a lot better since those white exit notification signs have been installed in the median of motorways (not sure whether that's already a national thing or not though).

On the pictures posted here, there's quite a lot of Engschrift indeed, but while driving around, I can't say I've seen more than a dozen of them so far. Usually it's due to exonyms - an issue that most countries don't have. But that's just an excuse, I'll admit.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Internal lighting makes overhead signs visible. It's either internal or external lighting. A car will only help if you put on full beams, but then you start blinding other people (which was about the only negative thing I encountered several times on the Dutch motorways last Saturday).
A lot of people forget to lower their regular lights when they're fully loaded in the back or towing a horse trailer or caravan. The car will hang a bit down on the back, causing a similar effect as high beams. And there are some stupid people who simply don't have their lights properly adjusted.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1486
Road_UK
BANNED

I normally have it on level two. This is also satisfactory in Europe, as my headlights are adapted for left-hand side traffic.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1487
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Where signs have been prepared with Diamond Grade foil, there should be no need of any lighting or beam. Not even for overhead signs.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1488
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Where signs have been prepared with Diamond Grade foil, there should be no need of any lighting or beam. Not even for overhead signs.
Then I guess none of the overhead signs on the A67 have that, since I wasn't able to read them until I arrived quite close to them. The amount of time that the car's beams are reflecting strong enough is a lot shorter, making it a lot harder to see what's on the signs... Only the overhead signs that are located on the right were usually readable for a decent time, most likely because of how car lights are aligned.

And it could indeed be that people were overloading the back of their car, but in the trip that I was taking (which was almost exactly 50/50 Netherlands/Belgium), I almost only noticed full beams (or overloaded cars) in the Netherlands. Could be that the motorway lights being on in Belgium had an effect on that feeling.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1489
Road_UK
BANNED

You would't feel at home in Germany. Neary all motorways are dark, and the reflective signs are all readible, without having to change lightbulbs. And they are efficient. Something unheard of in Belgium.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1490
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Our signs are always readible, wether they are made with reflective foil or internally lit. The internal ones are the biggest and have the largest font size. Conclussion, they're the best ones found on our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Flemish state of Belgium? You are off your head!
Belgium is a federal state, consisting of community's and states (gewesten) with their own governments. Besides the Flemish State of Belgium, you will also find the Walloon State of Belgium and the Brussels Capital Region.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1491
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

It's a translation thing. What you mean is 'the Belgian state of Flanders'.

'The Flemish state of Belgium' literally translates to 'De Vlaamse staat België'.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1492
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

Our signs are always readible, wether they are made with reflective foil or internally lit. The internal ones are the biggest and have the largest font size. Conclussion, they're the best ones found on our roads.
Which costs the Belgian taxpayer how much money? There is a reason why countries who choose to be efficient use reflective foil. Plus they are a lot better looking. Look at Germany for example.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1493
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

I've heard the new ones use LED lights, which are cost efficient. I wouldn't mind reflective ones though, they look more modern than these...

image hosted on flickr
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1494
Wimpie

Wel de newest generations of these sings do have a reflective foil placed over the fiber plate. So they are reflective when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Which costs the Belgian taxpayer how much money? There is a reason why countries who choose to be efficient use reflective foil. Plus they are a lot better looking. Look at Germany for example.
Our roadnetwork and its maintenance is costing us quite a deal more than 10 years ago. However, this is still much less than it does for the Germans or the Dutch. Considering the fact that our roadnetwork does what it has to do, it is in quite a good state and is under massive renovation, i think we have reason to be proud of it.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A german Belgian one

Last edited by Wimpie; September 20th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1495
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Ah. The candidate of the day for the Belgian road sign route numbers bingo bonanza !

To return to the topic of internally lit signs (or externally lit signs for that matter) vs. signs with retroflective foil on them, the biggest advantage of the latter is that you do not need to act as quickly when one internal light breaks down. I encountered an internally lit sign with one defunct light last Friday, and it came at a key location on the Antwerp ring road. One defunct light and the entire sign becomes very difficult to read. You'll never encounter something like that with retroflective signs.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1496
Wimpie

Yes I agree that is indeed a problem, especially since our roadnetwork isn't as massively lit anymore. That's why I'm glad that the newest ones are also reflective
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1497
Ben733i

Likes (Received): 0

[B] Routes de Belgique - Belgian roads

Voici quelques photos de nos routes nationales. Il était grand temps de les réparer car elles sont en mauvais état.
Ben733i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1498
Ben733i

Last edited by Ben733i; September 24th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old September 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1499
Ben733i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben733i View Post
Voici quelques photos de nos routes nationales. Il était grand temps de les réparer car elles sont en mauvais état.
je ne sais pas mettre les photos!
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1500
Filipdr

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben733i View Post
je ne sais pas mettre les photos!
Please use English language so everyone can understand you!
Filipdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia