daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1501
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

I think it means
"I can't see the pics"

And neither can I...
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1502
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

No, it was Belgian-French for "I can't post the pics". Which probably explains why you cannot see any pics ...
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #1503
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

3 new vids:

1. R9 Charleroi (petite ceinture), a unique one-way freeway!

2. N97 "Route Charlemagne" from Dinant to Ciney (junction N4)

3. E42 St-Vith (border crossing Germany into Belgium at Steinebruck) to Verviers (Interchange Battice E42xE40) in 2 parts. I've skipped the part Malmedy - Francorchamps due to roadworks and traffic jam.

Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1504
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Great vids! E42 is a really a nice Highway to drive!
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The first shoulder running of Belgium went into operation today on the E313 on the east side of Antwerpen. Traffic is a chaos nonetheless due to a severe accident on the northbound E19. The shoulder running will add a 4th outbound lane on E313, so the Ring Road R1 can empty quicker.

I personally doubt if it would have a lot of effect, the whole Antwerpen is usually gridlocked, and an 8 km long peak lane is not going to solve much. The entire road network needs to be expanded. E313 needs to be widened to 2x4 lanes to Ranst, and 2x3 to Lummen. A second ring road is also needed to relieve R1, the busiest road in the Benelux. E19 needs to be widened to 2x3 and an additional Schelde River crossing is necessary (Oosterweel connection).

They have the masterplan Antwerpen for this. Hopefully it will become a reality soon, because this was already necessary 15 years ago.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1506
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A second ring road is also needed to relieve R1, the busiest road in the Benelux.
180.000 vehicles drive over that road every day, which might be the biggest in Belgium and Luxemburg, but not for The Netherlands (for instance the A16, Rotterdam: 230.000 on 6 lanes and A20 Rotterdam: 184.000 on 3 lanes), but you know that too
Quote:
They have the masterplan Antwerpen for this. Hopefully it will become a reality soon, because this was already necessary 15 years ago.
Fully agreed.
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

There is some confusion about the traffic counts on the R1.

A 2007 full report gives about 180.000 vehicles per day on R1. However, the media reported in 2011 the volumes were much higher, at some 280.000 vehicles per day. I can't find it right now, but I had my doubts about these counts of 280.000 vehicles, considering the highway capacity on R1. It's unlikely but not impossible. However, it doesn't match with earlier reports, traffic counts don't soar from 180.000 to 280.000 vehicles in 4 years.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1508
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Do you have a source?
I want to check it out myself.

It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to see things myself
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1509
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I personally doubt if it would have a lot of effect, the whole Antwerpen is usually gridlocked, and an 8 km long peak lane is not going to solve much.
I think it's gonna have more effect than you think, because a major reason for the traffic jam at the R1 to Breda is caused by congestion problems at the beginning of the E313-E34, so an extra lane will certainly help I think!

I've made a video of that section, it's uploading now...
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1510
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

The video:

The project isn't completely finished yet, in the next few weeks they gonna place the rest of the signalisation and then the signs will also show speed limits.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1511
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Great you have that on video!

Don't forget to post your splended vid about the E40 to
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1512
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Is it safe to have a line of trees right next to road? I think it is not so safe, and are there emergency exits?
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1513
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Don't forget to post your splended vid about the E40 to

Route in Gmaps
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1514
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Close call at 3:08
Nice vid
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1515
Gereke

Likes (Received): 236

The stripes on the road are much better then the ones we use here in The Netherlands with shoulder running. I think more people will use the shoulder with these kind of stripes.
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1516
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

From the "Suffixes" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Dutch suffixes

-baan (Utrechtsebaan)
-boulevard (Europaboulevard)
-dreef (Zamenhofdreef)
-ring (Asserring)
-weg (Grotenhuysweg)
-rijweg (Oostzanerrijweg)
-straatweg/steenweg (Amsterdamsestraatweg; steenweg is Flemish)
-straat (Dorpsstraat)
-laan (Gorslaan)
-singel (Noordsingel)
-dijk (Zeedijk)
-wal (Oudezijds Voorburgwal)
-oever (Oostoever)
-sloot (Binnenwatersloot)
-gracht (Prinsengracht)
-sluis (Kikkerbilsluis)
-kade/kaai (Prins Hendrikkade; kaai is Flemish)
-schans (Oudeschans)
-einde (Noordeinde)
-tuin(en) (Haarlemmerhouttuinen)
-park (Moreelsepark)
-plein (Rembrandtsplein)
-markt (Nieuwmarkt)
-hof (Prinsenhof)
-steeg (Klaversteeg)
-pad (Zandpad)

Above that since the 1960-ies there are new neighbourhoods with a theme. For instance that all streets in that area are called after types of mills, and therefore the suffix is –molen. The same with flowers (-bloem), forests (-bos), herbs (-kruid), plants (-blad, -gras, -mos, -varen, etc). Also some new types of suffixes only exists in newtowns, like: -steen, -gilde, -meer, -land, -weide, -veld, -hoeve, -borg/borch, -kamp/camp, -stede, -spoor, -poort, -erf, -water, -muur, -gaarde/gaerde, -hage/haage/haege, -weide, etc. etc.

It can even be worse; just names of birds, boats, plants and so on.
Now about the "steenweg is Flemish": I'd noticed that on maps, and likewise you see "chaussée" in francophone Belgium, but not in France. Many, many Belgian towns have a series of steenwegen/chaussées radiating out of them, named after the next city down the road* Did someone at some point - the Austrians, or the early Belgian government... - set out to develop a systematic network of intercity roads?

*You can find the same phenomenon in parts of the United States. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, a town of a few thousand people (but which is a county seat and commercial center for a farming area...site of a famous battle of the U.S. Civil War, which happened mostly because the two armies, or a raiding party of the Confederate army that was searching the countryside for things they needed bumped into the Union army, thanks to the road network) has a good dozen radiating roads with names like Baltimore Pike, Hanover Road, York Road...all named after the towns they lead to.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1517
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

The latter bit is common though, isn't it? At least in Europe it is
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1518
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The latter bit is common though, isn't it? At least in Europe it is
You mean the naming-things-after-the-next-town-down bit? In the U.S., it's more noticeable, and very systematic in some places, in the east than it is elsewhere. (Gettysburg has about ten of them: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...m&z=13&vpsrc=6 .)

What stands out in French-speaking Belgium is the choice of the word "chaussée" for all these roads, because I've never seen it in France. And aswnl said that its Dutch-language equivalent, "steenweg," is Flemish, which I took to mean not used in the Netherlands. In Brussels, where both languages are used, a road that is a chaussée in French will be a steenweg in Dutch. So I'm wondering if there was a systematic development of such roads and "chaussée/steenweg" was the preferred term for those roads in particular.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1519
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

The "steenwegen" are the original equivalents of the US Highways. In the spoken language the term is used in the same context as "highway" as well.
I don't think there really was a systematic plan, it only turned out to be.
In the beginning of the 20th century the Belgian government wanted to profile itself as the first nation in mainland Europe with a high quality roadnetwork for automotive traffic. Roads back then were built like railways, as straight as a line where possible. It was easy to that back in those days as our country wasn't as densily built as it is today.
Steenwegen that connected cities were named after the city they were going to, the later secondary steenwegen were named also named after smaller that they, again, led to.

Considering the suffixes, Belgian streetnames are usually older than the Dutch ones and thus tend to use older suffixes or often none at all.
Especially within the village/town/city-centers one can find rather original streetnames that sound remarkable in Dutch ears. One example is the "Blijde Inkomststraat".

Another remarkble thing in Belgium is the habbit of naming tunnels, streets or square's after an American president. Even more remarkble is that the majority of them are named after a democratic presidents.

Here's a list and evidently the democratic one has more hits.

Last edited by Wimpie; October 5th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1520
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Kennedy and Roosevelt making up the vast majority is not something uniquely Belgian. I think that applies throughout Western Europe.

But I've got a feeling that political colour has not been relevant in the split. Roosevelt happened to be Democrat, but was above all a president that came to Europe's rescue in WW2. For understandable reasons, you come across his name less often in Germany and Austria.. Why Kennedy? I suspect that he was the "right man in the right era" - a combination of his untimely death and the fact that it occurred in an era in which many infrastructure needed a name ...

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia