daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1541
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

This afternoon, I've also visited the roadworks at interchange Lummen, and I've took some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/goda1979/Lummen30okt#
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #1542
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Nice, I planned to go as well but something else came up
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1543
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

The E313 freeway from Antwerpen to Lummen (interchange E313xE314):
Route in Google Maps
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1544
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Incomplete network around La Louvière, Mons and Charleroi

One of the most important urban axes of Belgium has a rather incomplete network.

While Charleroi have a proper ring road and even a one-way downtown circle expressway, La Louvière and Mons don't have any.

So I was thinking: are there credible projects to bring these cities up to proper standards by:

(1) completing R5 around Mons

(2) linking the N65 expressway southern terminus in La Louvière with R3 Charleroi?

(3) eiher building a southern link Charleroi-Namur (E411) or a eastern bypass of Namur?
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1545
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I don't think there is any money for such things. Not in Flanders, nor in Wallonia. Keeping the current network in proper condition seems to be hard enough...

Mons only has 90.000 inhabitants, I don't think such big project is needed.
It's like saying Mechelen needs an outer ringroad...while both have an inner ringroad.

Last edited by joshsam; November 1st, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

City propers are not a good measurement in terms of population in Belgium. The area around Mons is heavily urbanized with small / medium towns.

However, I think it's more important to reduce the reliance of all of Flanders on the R0 and R1 ring roads. If something happens there the entire region is gridlocked.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1547
joshsam
JR

Thet should widen them both or build alternatives !
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM   #1548
Wimpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
One of the most important urban axes of Belgium has a rather incomplete network.

While Charleroi have a proper ring road and even a one-way downtown circle expressway, La Louvière and Mons don't have any.

So I was thinking: are there credible projects to bring these cities up to proper standards by:

(1) completing R5 around Mons

(2) linking the N65 expressway southern terminus in La Louvière with R3 Charleroi?

(3) eiher building a southern link Charleroi-Namur (E411) or a eastern bypass of Namur?

The most important urban axe in Belgium is the Flemish diamond with 5 million inhabitants.
Considering the economic situation in Wallonia, such big projections to improve the roadwork aren't really needed. And even if the Wallonian government would want to, they don't have the money for it at the moment. Like Chrisz & Josham said in their comments, Flanders could use such improvements much more. The way things are going now, most of the important missing links will be built by 2015 and major incomplete network connections should be finished by 2020.

Last edited by Wimpie; November 2nd, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1549
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
And even if the Wallonian government would want to, they don't have the money for it at the moment.
So motorways in Belgium are financed by the regions, and not by the federal government?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1550
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Indeed, it is!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:51 PM   #1551
Suburbanist
on the road

Unfortunately, Belgium is very disorganized in that aspect, and even routes of national importance don't have a central planning. Thank God the network was built for most of it before regionalism-fueled brinkmanship would have made the network completion impossible, and people would be travelling from Liége to Luxembourg still on non-grade separated 2x4 routes in the Ardnees
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1552
joshsam
JR

Like there is much traffic from Liège or Namur to Luxemburg? South of the urbanised part of Wallonia along the Meuse, traffic on highways is very low. Not to mention that that across the ardennes there are plenty of 2X2 expressways where 120km/h is allowed.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1553
Suburbanist
on the road

There are important medium cities there, just because they are in the mountains doesn't mean they don't need highways (on the contrary): Bastgone, Neautchateaux, Dinant and Marche-en-Famenne - the latter doesn't even have a highway connection at all.

Cities in mountainous areas need more highways because the normal roads are twisting and slower than they would be in the lowlands of northern Belgium. Train lines are also slower and few in between, the Ardenees are shortchanged in terms of transportation IMO.

In any case, at least a W/S ringroad in Liège, arguably the third most important Belgian city and a major industrial center, should be built!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #1554
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Well, in Mechelen, a bit of outer ringroad exists and is being improved: the R6 to the north of Mechelen. It is now finally being converted to a traffic-light free road. The R6 has several fatal accidents each year, but the mayor of Mechelen has been against the change, because then the view to the cathedral of Mechelen would be blocked from that road. So basically, he valued the sight of the cathedral from 3km away more important than the lives of several people

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:16 PM   #1555
joshsam
JR

I agree on Liège.

Marche en Famme as a whole district (Much bigger than march en famme) only has 50.000 inhabitants.

E411 highway is only 15 km away and there is a connection. More, the E4 runs next to it connecting it to Namur and Bastenaken and making a full connection with the E411 and E25, a 2x2 expressway with a speed limit of 120km/h. N63 , also a 2x2 expressway connects it to Liège. How can you say that small town is badly connected?

Go take a look in Limburg and find bigger places that have much worse connections.

Last edited by joshsam; November 2nd, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1556
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Like there is much traffic from Liège or Namur to Luxemburg? South of the urbanised part of Wallonia along the Meuse, traffic on highways is very low. Not to mention that that across the ardennes there are plenty of 2X2 expressways where 120km/h is allowed.
The E25-E411 is congested towards Luxembourg, there was left space for widening in the median from Habay to the border like already done south from sortie 29 towards Arlon. I would also like to see E46 upgraded to motorway standard from France to Libramont aswell as continuing A28 from Aubange to Arlon and motorway Bouillon - Pétange.

I exit the E25 at Sortie 45 trough Theux to meet up with E42 at Sortie 7 to bypass Liège...

Last edited by Ingenioren; November 2nd, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1557
Wimpie

Quote:

In any case, at least a W/S ringroad in Liège, arguably the third most important Belgian city and a major industrial center, should be built!
Luik no longer is a major industrial center! There are no major industrial company's in Luik that are still active. The industrial infrastructure that's located around the city has been out of use for years.
One thing Luik has is that it's an important inland port, has a HST-trainstation, a passenger airport and is a connection between Belgium and Germany.
The main industrial hub in Belgium is the port of Antwerp, the second biggest chemical hub in the world after the port of Texas.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Belgium is very disorganized in that aspect, and even routes of national importance don't have a central planning. Thank God the network was built for most of it before regionalism-fueled brinkmanship would have made the network completion impossible, and people would be travelling from Liége to Luxembourg still on non-grade separated 2x4 routes in the Ardnees
Again wrong, the outlines of our national freeway network have been defined years ago. Besides that there's still a federal secretary of traffic and mobility to control the last few matters that need to be arranged at a federal level.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1558
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Luik no longer is a major industrial center! There are no major industrial company's in Luik that are still active. The industrial infrastructure that's located around the city has been out of use for years.
One thing Luik has is that it's an important inland port, has a HST-trainstation, a passenger airport and is a connection between Belgium and Germany.
The main industrial hub in Belgium is the port of Antwerp, the second biggest chemical hub in the world after the port of Texas.
It's a sad story of Liège though, and now the last steel factory closed just a few weeks ago, putting another few hundred people workless
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1559
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

delete please

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 2nd, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1560
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

How about the heavy industry in the suburbs of Liège? As far as I know there are still mills in Seraing and FN weapons factory in Herstal.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia