daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #1641
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
We all want to avoid Belgium if we could, but God decided to build a scrapyard right between France, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg.
Ooh dayum. I'm waiting for someone to comment on that. It'll be a good show

*Grabs popcorn*
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1642
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
It's a lot worse to say at least. Me and all my colleagues think so. I don't live on an island, I live in a ski-resort in Austria, or does Mayrhofen sound British to you? I'm a Dutch citizen with a British dad, and I travel between the UK and all of Europe in a van doing deliveries. We all want to avoid Belgium if we could, but God decided to build a scrapyard right between France, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg.
Ah well. STAY THE **** AWAY THEN! We don't need you to drive on tax free roads mister. Yes, roads in Wallonia have crap pavements around the cities and in Flanders you'll get stuck in traffic 70% of the time. But no-one forces you to drive through Belgium. Stay of our roads so we don't need to pay for people like you that drive on them.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1643
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Ah well. STAY THE **** AWAY THEN! We don't need you to drive on tax free roads mister. Yes, roads in Wallonia have crap pavements around the cities and in Flanders you'll get stuck in traffic 70% of the time. But no-one forces you to drive through Belgium. Stay of our roads so we don't need to pay for people like you that drive on them.
Nah because...:

1: It's my European right to travel through scrapyards if I want to.

2: My boss pays me to get to my destination on time.

3: Your roads are not tax-free. A lot of it is funded by European money, which is also my money.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1644
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
It's a lot worse to say at least. Me and all my colleagues think so. I don't live on an island, I live in a ski-resort in Austria, or does Mayrhofen sound British to you? I'm a Dutch citizen with a British dad, and I travel between the UK and all of Europe in a van doing deliveries. We all want to avoid Belgium if we could, but God decided to build a scrapyard right between France, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg.
The northern part of that scrapyard (Flanders) is doing it economicaly and by 2020 in terms of infrastructure much better than Austria, Germany, Holland or the UK.
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1645
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Nah because...:
3: Your roads are not tax-free. A lot of it is funded by European money, which is also my money.
Our roads funded by the EU?
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #1646
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Nah because...:

1: It's my European right to travel through scrapyards if I want to.

2: My boss pays me to get to my destination on time.

So basically you're a gypsy..
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1647
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
The northern part of that scrapyard (Flanders) is doing it economicaly and by 2020 in terms of infrastructure much better than Austria, Germany, Holland or the UK.
In terms of infrastructure?! Oh, please don't make me laugh
I agree that it will become better in 2020 than it is now (it can't get any worse ), but it wont be better than the UK or Holland.

And stop insulting people because you don't have any arguments (or for some reason don't want to give those arguments). You're only discrediting yourself.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1648
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Keep it civil and don't discredit yourself by making ridiculously unrealistic statements.

There is no such thing as "free" roads. It's a toll road, it's a taxed road, or it's no road, someone once said.

A German study found out foreign passenger cars pay 195% of the actual cost by refueling (on average, some people don't refuel in a certain country, others do).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1649
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
Right.

Belgium AA+ Negative 2011-11-21

Netherlands AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Austria AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Germany AAA Stable 2011-11-21

United Kingdom AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Source: Wikipedia.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1650
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
And stop insulting people because you don't have any arguments (or for some reason don't want to give those arguments). You're only discrediting yourself.
Who am I insulting? He is saying that we live in a scrapyard and that makes him the insulter.
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1651
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Right.

Belgium AA+ Negative 2011-11-21

Netherlands AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Austria AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Germany AAA Stable 2011-11-21

United Kingdom AAA Stable 2011-11-21

Source: Wikipedia.
By 2020
And the fact that our rating is lower than our neighbours is mostly to blame on our Frenchspeaking fellow citizen.
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1652
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Are there any new type lamps? By EU directive most lampposts need to have light fixtures that throw light 0° above horizontal except in some cases.
I searched whole thread and I didn't found a single picture of any new type of lamps.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1653
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
I searched whole thread and I didn't found a single picture of any new type of lamps.
This is the only video I found. In the video you can see some new lamps. It was during some roadworks last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUMEB...endscreen&NR=1
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #1654
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
We all want to avoid Belgium if we could, but God decided to build a scrapyard right between France, the Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg.
This "scrapyard" happens to be one of the greatest places in Europe to live in and believe me, I've seen enough of this planet to come to that conclusion. People are wealthy, happy and culturally we're going through the best period in the history of this country. This world wouldn't have been this world without Belgium.
Yes, we know not all things are perfect over here but it aren't well paved roads alone that makes a country a great place.

Belgium is a wealthy country, even looking at the avarage figures.
Yes, the Flemish are wealthier, yes the Flemish live quite a bit longer, yes the Flemish basically keep this place running economically. Don't shoot us for saying this because this is all based on statistics released by the Federal government of Belgium.

It is not hard to come to a conclusion why the south of this country looks a bit outdated or could use a major freshing up. Don't take it as an example for all of the country because the Flemish State could really compare to Germany or the UK when it comes to infrastructural quality. Never have there been more investsments in the public AND private infrastructure as a whole.

As someone said before on this thread, by 2015 our freeway network will be in excellent condition, followed by the lower grade network in 2020.

And as someone also said, Road_UK, you seem to know alot about this country, things I have never heard of or never seen in my life. I'd suggest you start getting your facts right because if there's one thing we Belgians do not need, it's people like you thinking they know everything better. It's a pitty considering the fact you live in a country that it otherwise greatly respected and often visited by Belgians.

Quote:
There are new ones but they're often part of a bigger project so they kinda lack the standarisation of the old days are by far not as impressive because they're designed to be kind off "invisible".

Last edited by Wimpie; December 28th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #1655
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Normally speaking, the roads in Flanders will be up to the same standard as the neighbouring countries in terms of pavement. Sadly enough, there's not a lot of talk about better reflective markings or any improvements on signs. It's still a shame that most of the population has been taught that the language on signs has some sort of cultural importance What they did do recently was provide a whole bunch of "diversion signs" in case of accidents on highways, so I guess that's a good thing already.

I feel deeply insulted at my region being called a scrapyard though! We have a great road network (as in: there aren't many missing connections). At the moment, most of it is in very good shape from what I can tell, though there is a lot of room for improvements. The only stretch I personally know that is in dire need of repaving is a section of the E40 between Brussels and the coast. But that is going to be taken care of very soon, namely April 2012. I only use the E19, E40, R0 and R1/2 somewhat regularly though, so I'm not sure about the other highways.

The reason for the decay we've had is purely political. Now we've got a minister in Flanders that actually cares and knows something about mobility and the results are already visible.

Belgium is stupid enough to say no to "modern" coal-powered plants that would bring down the price. The reasoning behind it is exemplary according to me, but it just puts us in an even worse position. Sure, it would have an environmental impact, but as we can see: they will just be built next to the border and the impact on the environment will still be there.

130km/h doesn't seem like a great idea on most of our roads. There's just too many exits on most of them. There may be a select few cases where this would be acceptable (E34, E17 perhaps, E403 on some parts, and about a quarter of the motorways in Wallonia since the exits are much more separated - though the pavement quality must be up to standards for that as well).

As for the credit rating: Lebanese_Almaghrebia is right there. When you look at the regional ratings, it's very clear to see what's causing worse results. When Flanders got downgraded, the actual motivation simply said "regions can't have a higher rating than their country". Nothing more, nothing less. I do thoroughly hope that the Walloon government will get its act together and show that the credit rating drop is unjustified (instead of referring to other regions and saying "it's not as bad over here as it is over there" - they pretty much said that in a news post...). Also, I'm very certain we're not getting a single Euro for the maintenance of our highways! Whenever we can, however, we will try to get extra subsidies from the EU - JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FREAKING COUNTRY IN THE EU.

EDIT: bah. Why does it always feel like I'm feeding a troll when I'm replying to one of Road_UK's posts... Oh...

Last edited by Glodenox; December 28th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #1656
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
I find you very irritating.
And I find you very irritating!
I'm certainly not gonna say that Belgium is perfect, but the only thing you do here is Belgium-bashing, and it doesn' make any sense. I think I'm gonna put you to my ignore-list...
Edit: done. The very first time I do that on a internet forum in at least 10 years (since I have internet).

Last edited by Daviedoff; December 28th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1657
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post

EDIT: bah. Why does it always feel like I'm feeding a troll when I'm replying to one of Road_UK's posts... Oh...
Because obviously, he is a troll.

First he's complaining about the lack of maintenance, and when the maintenance is finally being carried out he's -again- complaining because... it's "with his money"!

Belgium is still a net contributor to the EU and I've never heard of Flemish roads being renovated with EU money.

http://www.money-go-round.eu/Year.as...2010&method=pc

This being said, when I use for example French highways I also pay for them, so in the end, what's the problem?

Last edited by Thermo; December 28th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1658
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Belgium has no feature to be honest, it has never been something and it never will be.
I think that it would be better for Flanders to declare independence and maybe form a (con)federation with the netherlands or something. The Flemish equivalent of the Randstad is just as or even richer than the Randstad itself. Wallonia is a real scrapyard indeed.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1659
Karnoit

Likes (Received): 1562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius View Post
Wallonia is a real scrapyard indeed.
That scrapyard is invaded by thousands of tourists from your country every holiday though. And unlike Road_Uk, nothing obliges them to come here.

Anyway, federalisation does not date back from yesterday and road infrastructures are regional matters for a long time now. Each regions is responsible for the mental image foreigners have about the road networks. We all know why Wallonia roads are in bad shape (no money). If Flanders has a bad image according to foreigners driving through (and it seems so, although Road_Uk overeacts), then the one to blame is the flemish governent itself and not Wallonia.
Karnoit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1660
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius View Post
Belgium has no feature to be honest, it has never been something and it never will be.
I think that it would be better for Flanders to declare independence and maybe form a (con)federation with the netherlands or something. The Flemish equivalent of the Randstad is just as or even richer than the Randstad itself. Wallonia is a real scrapyard indeed.
what is wrong with all you belgium-haters? comments like the one above don't seem to be really constructive criticism... please, grow up and start to be a bit more open-minded!
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia