daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1681
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I don't think that is the speed bump but the position of the road before and then during the bump
Yup, you're right. By the way the best example of Belgian road engineering is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXY5...layer_embedded
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1682
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Yes, I've seen that before
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1683
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
Hardly known anywhere in Europe? Are you serious? Look to your country, the UK has some shitty roads aswell. Or look to Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia,...
Slovenian motorways are definitely better than Belgian.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #1684
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No they are not better than the roads in Flanders + they are payed with our money. Slovenia is nothing compared to Flanders. Without the EU Slovenia is nothing.
http://www.money-go-round.eu/Country...d=SI&year=2010

And as sad before our roads will be repaved in 2015. So we have 3x2 + lightning + many exits + every 40 km a gasstation + smooth roads.
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1685
italystf

Quote:
Because they were mostly build in 2000s.
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #1686
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Please don't be insulted by his unjustifiable comparison. We've already had so many endless and almost useless discussions in here. I've never been in Slovenia, but from the looks of it on Google Maps, the highways you guys have seem to be pretty nice indeed
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1687
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Yup, you're right. By the way the best example of Belgian road engineering is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXY5...layer_embedded
That's Wallonia. So I prefer to call it Walloon engineering because it's not a federal jurisdiction.
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1688
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I'm not Belgian, but

All this intra-European badmouthing, even intra-a-country-the-size-of-Maryland badmouthing. And people wonder why so many British (and not just British) are not enthusiastic about tighter integration, or at least skeptical that it would work.

On that note...

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1689
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm not Belgian, but

All this intra-European badmouthing, even intra-a-country-the-size-of-Maryland badmouthing. And people wonder why so many British (and not just British) are not enthusiastic about tighter integration, or at least skeptical that it would work.

On that note...
As you can read in my posts, I am very Eurosceptic. I only want closer ties with countries that are at our level economically . (France, UK, Holland, Italy, Scandinavia and Germany) And have you ever been to Europe? The mentality differences are huge. Even in a country the size of Maryland. Flanders and Wallonia are just 2 different world's let alone Eastern Europa.
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1690
italystf

And I though that Italy was a "divided" country because of (only economic) differences between north and south.
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1691
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
And I though that Italy was a "divided" country because of (only economic) differences between north and south.
We have economic differences + different languages ( Dutch & French) + mental differences + culturale differences ( not so big...)
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1692
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia

We have economic differences + different languages ( Dutch & French) + mental differences + culturale differences ( not so big...)
You're the only country in Europe were speaking a certain language in some public spaces like schools and municipal halls is forbidden by law even if both parts understand it.
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1693
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I came here after italystf mentioned there's stuff here to laugh about. indeed there is! and to add even something more, here is the trailer of the film 'Rien ŗ declarer', good comedy about douanne cancelation between France and Belgique in 90's...

Quote:
motorways built in 70s-90s are in the same condition or even better than others. it's all the question of maintenance.

Last edited by hofburg; December 29th, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1694
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
No they are not better than the roads in Flanders + they are payed with our money. Slovenia is nothing compared to Flanders. Without the EU Slovenia is nothing.
http://www.money-go-round.eu/Country...d=SI&year=2010
Now you're just trolling. Share of EU money is very low compared to all our motorways.

Quote:
Slightly less than half were built in 2000s. But even our oldest motorways (from 1972 on) are much better than in Belgium, at least when I was there in 2005. I don't know why some Belgians are so upset when someone says Belgian motorways aren't good. It's a fact, at least for Western standards.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1695
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
As you can read in my posts, I am very Eurosceptic. I only want closer ties with countries that are at our level economically . (France, UK, Holland, Italy, Scandinavia and Germany) And have you ever been to Europe? The mentality differences are huge. Even in a country the size of Maryland. Flanders and Wallonia are just 2 different world's let alone Eastern Europa.
That's sort of my point. I have been to Europe. I particularly like Belgium. I appreciate the sort of cultural diversity you have within close reach (even if it seems a lot of Europeans don't) and - while it's none of my business whether you integrate more closely or not - I wouldn't want to see unification proceed to the point where those differences are ironed out. (The "EU uniformity fetish" tag on one of the license-plate threads is mine.) Although sniping at one's neighbors is not perhaps the best way of showing appreciation for diversity. If you don't mind my saying so.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1696
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Quote:
Now you're just trolling. Share of EU money is very low compared to all our motorways.
If found you very funny. Where are the facts?

Last edited by Lebanese_Almaghrebia; December 29th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1697
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Belgians get really upset when someone makes comments on their country. This Arab guy above me keeps on making references to the differences between Flanders and Wallonia, which is nothing but Flemish propaganda Wimpie style, but then 10 times worse. In my opinion, Belgium is a Federal State, with EU membership - and is responible for their infrastructure nationwide. How they do it, is their own problem - same as the childish language wars.

A little while back, I was travelling on the E17 from Lille into Belgium, heading towards Gent. The road surface was very smooth indeed, it was rather impressive. And just when I started thinking that I may have been a little premature, I got past Waregem, and gone where my illusions. That bit of road wasn't just bad... It was horrible, even for Belgian standards. E34 Antwerp - Venlo: Type of motorway unknown in Holland and France, and not even in the UK - and they got pretty bad roads. A lot of the National roads: Horrible. Does the N8 Veurne-Ieper ring a bell? These are all in Flanders. Stop blaming the Walloons, you are just as bad as each other.

All Belgians in this thread may now start crying again.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #1698
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Belgians get really upset when someone makes comments on their country. This Arab guy above me keeps on making references to the differences between Flanders and Wallonia, which is nothing but Flemish propaganda Wimpie style, but then 10 times worse.
Are you suggesting there are no differences between Flanders and Wallonia? So we just had 1,5 year political crisis just for fun?

About our roads, I'll say it again: YES OUR ROADS ARE FAR WORSE THAN IN ANY NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY. EVEN IN FLANDERS!

But finally we have politicians who are committed to do something about it in the coming years. Like I said: the budget for road maintenance has been tripled. There are like 150 different road works programmed for 2012 alone. What else can we do TODAY? Tell me.

ps: about the "flemish propaganda" concerning the difference between Flanders and Wallonia, here's a study of a Walloon university: http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...3815/1.1185640
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1699
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

How much do Belgians pay for electricity on average?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1700
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Are you suggesting there are no differences between Flanders and Wallonia? So we just had 1,5 year political crisis just for fun?

About our roads, I'll say it again: YES OUR ROADS ARE FAR WORSE THAN IN ANY NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY. EVEN IN FLANDERS!

But finally we have politicians who are committed to do something about it in the coming years. Like I said: the budget for road maintenance has been tripled. There are like 150 different road works programmed for 2012 alone. What else can we do TODAY? Tell me.

ps: about the "flemish propaganda" concerning the difference between Flanders and Wallonia, here's a study of a Walloon university: http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...3815/1.1185640
Do them up. At least you're man enough to admitt it. A lot of your fellow Belgians - especially the Flemish propaganda bloggers - believe that there is nothing wrong. I hope your government will do something about it. But a year ago the bloggers on this thread were saying the same thing, and that was when you had no government.
This is the point I'm making: the state of denial. It could have been done a long long time ago. I can see changes, but not on a big scale. For some strange reason, the E40 between French border and Nieuwpoort has been resurfaced again, after two years. Why? Isn't it more important to focus on the E34?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgiŽ, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia