daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1701
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How much do Belgians pay for electricity on average?
€880 per houshold.
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1702
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
Where are the facts?
http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/O_avtoc...ncira_208.aspx

EU has so far given us 271,057,006.48 EUR, which is about 5% of all expenses for Slovenian motorways (or like building 30 km of all 600 km). And our network is almost done.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1703
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Belgians get really upset when someone makes comments on their country. This Arab guy above me keeps on making references to the differences between Flanders and Wallonia, which is nothing but Flemish propaganda Wimpie style, but then 10 times worse. In my opinion, Belgium is a Federal State, with EU membership - and is responible for their infrastructure nationwide. How they do it, is their own problem - same as the childish language wars.
Before you speak about me and my country get your facts straight.

First off all Belgium is a federal state with 3 entities. Flanders, Wallonia and Brussel (regions). Each entity is responsible for its own infrastructure. That means you need to finance it yourself and make a budget for it. The federal governement has nothing to do with it. So your opinion doesn't count here.

And oh I'm not an arab guy. I'm Flemish.
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1704
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Do them up. At least you're man enough to admitt it. A lot of your fellow Belgians - especially the Flemish propaganda bloggers - believe that there is nothing wrong. I hope your government will do something about it. But a year ago the bloggers on this thread were saying the same thing, and that was when you had no government.
This is the point I'm making: the state of denial. It could have been done a long long time ago.
I absolutely agree. And believe me, a lot of people here in Flanders/Belgium with me. It's a scandal that in the past road maintenance was never taken seriously. The results we can see today: an old road network that needs a complete facelift. The politicians are finally aware of that (also thanks to a public outcry!), but please, give us some years. We can't fix this in a few months - or even years. The Flemish government has said the highways will be at the same level of our neighbouring countries in 2015. We'll see.

Quote:
I can see changes, but not on a big scale. For some strange reason, the E40 between French border and Nieuwpoort has been resurfaced again, after two years. Why? Isn't it more important to focus on the E34?
There are now new 'rules' (concerning materials etc.) for resurfacing roads (decided by the ministry of infrastructure), so I hope these fiasco's belong to the past.

Last edited by Thermo; December 29th, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1705
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

E34 , that part you mention near the border of The Netherlands is not even busy or an important connection. It is in a very bad state none the less.

May I say to you that we Belgians know our roads aren't that good and that we are not in a state of denial. But people like you bragging on about it 24/7 and exaggerating the situation with a factor of 10 is what we are fed up with.

You also say you don't care how we solve the problem and see Belgium as a state that is not divided. Well just accept the fact that it is devided and that nothing is the same in Wallonia and Flanders. Each has it's own system and his own budget for almost everything you can possibly immagine including roads and public transport.

Last edited by joshsam; December 29th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1706
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
E34 , that part you mention near the border of The Netherlands is not even busy or an important connection. It is in a very bad state none the less.
It's actually a major "hinterland" connection for the Port of Antwerp, the border section carries as much as 15 000 trucks per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1707
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I've actually never experienced heavy traffic on that part, but I believe you because stats don't lie.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1708
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic does not need to be congested to make it an important route. A lot of valuable merchandise is carried across this corridor.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #1709
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4188

The fact that a road is busy or not is not an excuse for not maintaining or resurfacing it...
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1710
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
This is the only video I found. In the video you can see some new lamps. It was during some roadworks last summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUMEB...endscreen&NR=1
Those are not lamps, that should be installed by EU directive.

Also about 2/3 of the pictures from Whimpie (post below yours) does not show correct lamps.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #1711
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
I absolutely agree. And believe me, a lot of people here in Flanders/Belgium with me. It's a scandal that in the past road maintenance was never taken seriously. The results we can see today: an old road network that needs a complete facelift. The politicians are finally aware of that (also thanks to a public outcry!), but please, give us some years. We can't fix this in a few months - or even years. The Flemish government has said the highways will be at the same level of our neighbouring countries in 2015. We'll see.

There are now new 'rules' (concerning materials etc.) for resurfacing roads (decided by the ministry of infrastructure), so I hope these fiasco's belong to the past.
You're allright, Thermo, and I wish the Belgians the best of luck on this. I need these roads as much as you do. I'm earning my living on it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #1712
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

@Verso:
I wasn't intending on going further into that discussion, but heh. If you persist... This is what I presume plays to our defence:

Smaller network, less shattered organisation (Belgium split up in regions with their own rules - was really necessary though), less traffic in general deteriorating the roads (I noticed most motorways only have 2 lanes in each direction, which would be impossible for us), less historical road layouts to deal with, most probably less opposition from people living nearby highways due to lower population density. Easier to reroute older highways, again due to lower population density, ...

We can't however play the "we had no government" card, since the regional governments were in place and those didn't rely on the federal government for funding. Also, with our higher incomes, we should've been able to maintain our roads better.

Anyway, long story short: none of us are saying that our roads are magnificent, only that work is actually being done to improve them and that the results are slowly starting to show. More and more dynamic signs are being placed, newer traffic management systems (such as shoulder running) are being tried out, thorough maintenance is done instead of just scraping off the top layer and building on the unstable foundations of before, etc.

Oh and by the way, our language war on itself isn't childish, but a necessity in certain parts of the country. I don't believe in the strict rules currently applied in the border regions though. The fact that it's being waged on our signs as well though, is quite stupid, I agree.

Also, I'm not quite sure whether it's the section of the E34 you're referring to, but I see the following information about works on the E34 for next year on this webpage:
- Lille - Turnhout (not to be confused with Lille in France!)
- Wachtebeke – Zelzate & Kaprijke- Eeklo (direction coast)
- Eeklo en Kaprijke (direction Antwerp)
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #1713
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You're probably right, except for smaller network (you're forgetting much smaller population), although I don't think there's really an excuse for the state of Belgian roads. Anyway, you're probably fed up with bashing, I just had to reply to Lebanese_Almaghrebia (and I don't post much here anyway).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #1714
Road_UK
BANNED

^ Oh he's just asking for it. And so is his pal Wimpie.
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1715
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's actually a major "hinterland" connection for the Port of Antwerp, the border section carries as much as 15 000 trucks per day.
Not only the Port of Antwerp. It's also a major trunk road linking the UK (via Calais), Belgium and northern France with the Ruhr area, northern Germany, Scandinavia and eastern Europe.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1716
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
^ Oh he's just asking for it. And so is his pal Wimpie.
At least we know what we're talking about and you are alone in your endless "war" against Belgium. Like I said before, we don't need a loner telling us what to do because we know very well how our own country works.
Glodenox and I are not acquainted, we just live in the same country and we're probably both fed up on people like you...
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1717
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

Thypical road sign mess common in roadworks expecially in Italy. Consequences: nobody pay attention to signs in roadworks area, even the few times they're useful and well-placed.
As being partially Italian, I'm in Italy 14 days during the summer every year. I love the country and to me personally Belgium has a lot in common with it, especially the way Italians enjoy life.
That also reflects itself in the infrastructure :p

Anyway, I found another older album in my collection, You have to start at the bottom :p

Last edited by Wimpie; December 30th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1718
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...10_1230_01.jpg

Funny picture
(This effect exist more on fotos taken from a car or train which is moving, I don't know what's the reason of this)
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #1719
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I just had to reply to Lebanese_Almaghrebia (and I don't post much here anyway).
Ah, fair enough I didn't notice that at first from your message. Looking at it now, I get that.
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1720
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today it's exactly 40 years ago Belgium and the Netherlands were linked by motorway for the first time. The E19 - A16 connection opened on December 30th, 1971.

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia