daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1741
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Thx for the pics.

Video's I found:

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1742
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

I have made a new video:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #1743
joshsam
JR

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed watching E40 looking smooth and clean

Last edited by joshsam; January 4th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1744
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Yesterday I drove in E40 and then I circled R0 almost entirely until the access to Zaventem Intl. Airport.

I was quite shocked by the state of the Bruxelles ring road in some sectors. I mean, some viaducts are not only old, but outright rusty or missing some protective elements so that you can even see some exposed columns!

Then, there is the whole language mess, which makes signage confusing at least, useless more likely to out-of-area drivers, as R0 crosses the "region border" 5 or 6 times, and then suddenly Mons becomes Bergen lol.

Then, there is the issue of the non-highway sector north of Waterloo, particularly this underpass which has steep approach, narrow lanes and, frankly, is outright dangerous if iced/snowed. Why haven they not built an high overpass (viaduct) instead?

Now, some questions about R0 and adjacent roads:

1. Near this exit, E429 has traffic lights less than 1200m after interchange Halle. Are there any plans to build an overpass there, or a junction, or else? It is the worse possible design solution, which surely means traffic jams there.

2. From what I see in interhcange Itre, the only logical conclusion is that they have some plans to extend the highway westward towards. Where will this highway go in the future, and are there any schedule for its completion?

3. Here we can see partially built ramps off R0 into Bruxelles that are probably part of plans to create a decent junction there. Am I right?

Extra question: do they have plans to improve and speed up the Boulevard du Lambermont through Schaerberk as to create a fast-ish link between A12 and E40? I bet that area gets a lot of traffic with all the NATO, EU and else buildings over there.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1745
Suburbanist
on the road

Liège situation

I drove thourgh Liège twice last week, in my way to (E40 => A604 => N63) and from (E25 S to E25 N) Luxembourg.

While Liège has some remarkable features, like interchange Loncin, is also has some problem caused mainly by the absence of an Eastern bypass.

Crossing the area of Seraing was easy, just a couple traffic lights and that was all, but I bet that area gets very clogged with trucks on busier days due to the many heavy industries located in the area. N63 could also do with some improvements, maybe an upgrade to A-standards, but that is another story.

More problematic is the E25 gap. Sure enough, I could have stayed on A602 to Loncin then backtrack on E42 to Cheratte, but TomTom was telling me that would include 22min of delays, so it suggested the route I plotted on the above link via central Liège and Bressoux. While there are some interesting features, like many urban avenues grade-separated junctions not common in nearby countries (a plus), there were also problems. The pavement is in bad condition and, then, they reduced what was once a 2-lane expressway underpass to one lane only as in here, and on 3 similar locations throughout that Meuse riverbanks' expressway.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1746
joshsam
JR

I guess Boulevard du Lambermont is still ok, traffic not to bad an pretty wide with 2x3lanes at some parts , there are worse boulevards in Brussels (like Avenue Charles Quint/Keizer Karel laan the first part wich is not tunneled, It gets better afther Koekelberg where it becomes the Leopold II laan) with a lot more conjestion. I don't think there are any plans for it.
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1747
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yesterday I drove in E40 and then I circled R0 almost entirely until the access to Zaventem Intl. Airport.

I was quite shocked by the state of the Bruxelles ring road in some sectors. I mean, some viaducts are not only old, but outright rusty or missing some protective elements so that you can even see some exposed columns!

Then, there is the whole language mess, which makes signage confusing at least, useless more likely to out-of-area drivers, as R0 crosses the "region border" 5 or 6 times, and then suddenly Mons becomes Bergen lol.

Then, there is the issue of the non-highway sector north of Waterloo, particularly this underpass which has steep approach, narrow lanes and, frankly, is outright dangerous if iced/snowed. Why haven they not built an high overpass (viaduct) instead?

Now, some questions about R0 and adjacent roads:

1. Near this exit, E429 has traffic lights less than 1200m after interchange Halle. Are there any plans to build an overpass there, or a junction, or else? It is the worse possible design solution, which surely means traffic jams there.

2. From what I see in interhcange Itre, the only logical conclusion is that they have some plans to extend the highway westward towards. Where will this highway go in the future, and are there any schedule for its completion?

3. Here we can see partially built ramps off R0 into Bruxelles that are probably part of plans to create a decent junction there. Am I right?

Extra question: do they have plans to improve and speed up the Boulevard du Lambermont through Schaerberk as to create a fast-ish link between A12 and E40? I bet that area gets a lot of traffic with all the NATO, EU and else buildings over there.
Are we talking about the same ringroad? The widest and most important and complete part which is also located nearest to the city lies almost entirely on Flemish territory and is well maintained. Only a small part belongs to Brussels and thus signage there is bilingual.
The souther part which is located much further of the city belongs indeed to Wallonia and is in quite a bad shape. So I don't see the problems, drivers always pass a part where signage is bilingual. So yes, some parts of the ringroad are a mess but that's due to the Walloon goverment and not the Brussels/Flemish goverment who have always maintained their sectors well.

Quote:
Extra question: do they have plans to improve and speed up the Boulevard du Lambermont through Schaerberk

"Boulevard du Lambermont" / "Lambermontlaan"
"Schaerberk" (?) --> Scha(a)(e)rbeek or "Schaarbeek/Schaerbeek"
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1748
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Are we going to have to use both versions of the name every time we mention a street or neighborhood in Brussels?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1749
joshsam
JR

Actually, yes. But I didn't too. haha
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1750
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

N62 from the Luxemburger Grenz through Grüfflingen to the E42.
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1751
joshsam
JR

markings look yellow in that vid :p (are they? road works?)

Anyway nice vid! Love driving those roads, bending the curves.

edit: the where yellow indeed untill 1:57 in the vid. Good they are working on it. Hope they do the other bad parts too.
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1752
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, provisionally marks. I think Ive seen worse roads in Wallonie (here the old: http://g.co/maps/r5mz6 - with 'Strassenschäden' sign. They also want a bypass here: http://n62.eu/N6211/index.php?Die_Ze..._noch_nicht%3F
The German Speaking Community must have an seperate state budget for that?!
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1753
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

We often suspect that because the roads within the German language community often look tidier and better maintained :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are we going to have to use both versions of the name every time we mention a street or neighborhood in Brussels?
Technically and legally yes, it's the only region in Belgium with a legal status of absolute bilinguality :p
Wimpie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #1754
Suburbanist
on the road

Bi-lingual means EITHER language, not BOTH languages, right?

I can call Bruxelles as so or as Brussel and both are mutually equivalents.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1755
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post

We often suspect that because the roads within the German language community often look tidier and better maintained :p

Technically and legally yes, it's the only region in Belgium with a legal status of absolute bilinguality :p

Obviously, you don't know your own Constitution:

"Art. 30

Het gebruik van de in België gesproken talen is vrij; het kan niet worden geregeld dan door de wet en alleen voor handelingen van het openbaar gezag en voor gerechtszaken."

http://www.senate.be/doc/const_nl.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1756
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Bi-lingual means EITHER language, not BOTH languages, right?

I can call Bruxelles as so or as Brussel and both are mutually equivalents.
Of course it does. (See my preceding post.)
But in English it's "Brussels."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1757
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But in English it's "Brussels."
On my personal standards, I translate country names, but at least in areas of Europe using mainly Latin-derived alphabet, I stick to the original city name. I always found weird that some cities in Italian have English translations (Venice, Florence, Naples, Turin, Milan), and others don't. So I prefer to write München, Braunschweig, Lisboa, Köln, Bruxelles (or Brussel) etc.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1758
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Are we talking about the same ringroad? The widest and most important and complete part which is also located nearest to the city lies almost entirely on Flemish territory and is well maintained. Only a small part belongs to Brussels and thus signage there is bilingual.
The souther part which is located much further of the city belongs indeed to Wallonia and is in quite a bad shape. So I don't see the problems, drivers always pass a part where signage is bilingual. So yes, some parts of the ringroad are a mess but that's due to the Walloon goverment and not the Brussels/Flemish goverment who have always maintained their sectors well.

Why are you always in denial? You know as much as anyone else, that some Flemish sections are as equally as bad as some Walloon ones. And some newly renovated Walloon motorways are as good as any newer Flemish ones.

A little while back I crossed the E17 border from Lille into Belgium, heading towards Antwerp. Right from the border, the road is in top condition. And I mean top top TOP condition. And just as I started thinking that I may have been a bit pre-mature about Belgian roads, I've hit Waregem. And all my illusions were gone. It really was like driving on a railroad.
What I'm saying is, that everywhere in Belgium, there are good sections, there are bad sections. But overall, Belgium is (still) lacking behind to its western-European partners.

I never saw you making a comment about the E34 Antwerp-Eindhoven. Have you been on it?

Last edited by Road_UK; January 9th, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo's. reellie embarasingk.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1759
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Um, well, native speakers of English have been calling Venice "Venice" (for example) for centuries....

Non-native speakers of English (or any other language) don't get to break rules they find "weird" and call it their "personal standards." Do what you want, but don't call it English, because it isn't: it's this grotesque pseudo-English Esperanto that Continentals insist on using because it's "easier" than learning their neighbors' languages.

(EDIT: Those arrows are for Suburbanist, obviously....)

Off topic, but while I'm on a tear (:-P), what do our Dutch friends think of this? http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3184/...-van-ons.dhtml
And where does any non-native speaker get off (in the comments) saying that "American" is not "real English"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 9th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1760
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

I didn't want to post something in the first place but wimpie, you really force us to... please, please, please, just reflect once or twice how you write things... and don't always say "it*s just the truth". Even if...
But off-topic, I know...
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, autoselweg, belgië, belgium, flanders, snelweg, vlaanderen, wallon, wallonia