daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #81
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Keep on dreaming.

Deconstruction of this tower will start up again very shortly. By the way, the new 5WTC I'm sure has over 40 floors.
Ebola no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #82
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Keep on dreaming.

Deconstruction of this tower will start up again very shortly. By the way, the new 5WTC I'm sure has over 40 floors.
Thats the spirit that makes things moving

Can't wait to see all the complex rising.... I would pay millions (if I had them ) to see the future skyline...
romanamerican no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #83
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Keep on dreaming.

Please keep in mind that I didn't write that article, somebody else did, so take your anger out on them and not on me.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #84
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Don't worry dude... That's just Ebola throwing one of his usual hissy fits as soon as you stop brown nosing NY whatever the reason.
Don't pay attention.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #85
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

oh did talb make a friend
philvia no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #86
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Aww Bolton just doesn't like me because he made himself look stupid when we were fighting about something with Hudson Yards; you can't compare anything to anything else because you're wholly wrong no matter what. I wonder if they are still serious with this new tower and what stage of design they are up to. I read in the paper that 130 Liberty will be gone this year.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #87
TalB
Refugee

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_246/fewanswers.html
Volume 20, Number 36 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | January 25 -31, 2008

Few answers provided at Council’s Deutsche hearing

By Julie Shapiro

Downtown Express file photo by Milo Hess

Firefighters battling the deadly blaze at the Deutsche Bank building last Aug. 18 had to pump water from the ground because of a broken standpipe.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation left many questions unanswered after a City Council hearing about progress on the former Deutsche Bank building.

The hearing, run by Councilmember Alan Gerson, was to provide the public with an update on the decontamination and demolition of the building at 130 Liberty St., the site of an Aug. 18 fire that killed two firefighters.

“Today we will practice preventative medicine,” Gerson said at the outset of the hearing, promising to demand answers from the witnesses. However, the answers were not often forthcoming.

While Avi Schick, chairperson of the L.M.D.C., assured Gerson that work is progressing, he did not give a timeline of when hazardous material abatement work or demolition will begin or conclude, and said such a timetable would be counterproductive.

“The fact that a monument to mismanagement is still standing…is nothing short of a national disgrace,” City Councilmember Peter F. Vallone Jr. told Schick. “A timetable is not only productive but is the least I would expect.”

Abatement work cannot start until the L.M.D.C. gets approval from a myriad of government agencies. “We are days away from the necessary approvals,” Schick said.

Schick was also optimistic about the project’s progress in September, the last time he testified before the Council. On Wednesday, he would not describe the exact status of the L.M.D.C.’s plan, but said the corporation meets with a variety of agencies daily.

“The fact that you don’t have signoffs yet is ridiculous,” Vallone said, adding that the blame for years of delays lies with Albany. The L.M.D.C., which owns the building, is a federally-funded, state-city public authority under the effective control of the governor.

After he said timetables were counterproductive, Schick said he was hoping to have the building down by the end of 2008, a wish several other speakers echoed.

Two months before the fatal fire, Charles Maikish, who then oversaw the project as the head of the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, warned residents that the rush to take the building down quickly led to a large pipe crashing through the adjacent firehouse — injuring two firefighters slightly.

The site was supposed to be turned over to JPMorgan Chase, which will build its headquarters there, by this September.

The L.M.D.C. still is “leaning quite heavily” toward decontaminating the entire building before demolishing it, but has not made a final decision, Schick said, echoing his position from November, when he had previously predicted work would resume. Community Board 1 and environmental advocates have continued to press the L.M.D.C. to do the two jobs separately.

While Schick testified that more than 10,000 air samples taken around the building came back within the Environmental Protection Agency’s guidelines, he would not say what type of contamination remained in the building.

“We’re focused on getting the building abated and taking it down, not revisiting history,” Schick said. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau is leading a criminal investigation into the fire and has convened a grand jury.

The air samples were taken daily immediately after the fire, but have returned to the weekly, pre-fire schedule, Schick said.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency declined to attend the hearing, Gerson said.

The city Department of Buildings has issued more than 10 violations to 130 Liberty St. since the fire. In response to a question from Gerson, Eric Reid, principal engineer for the D.O.B., said the violations — which include allowing combustible materials to accumulate in the building — do not pose an imminent threat to the public.

“The contractor is making good progress on the violations,” Reid said. “I expect them all to be cured in the near future.”

The hearing was the public’s first introduction to LVI Environmental Services, Inc., the subcontractor Bovis Lend Lease selected to oversee the decontamination and demolition of the building.

On Monday, LVI is expected to start working at the site, removing concrete slabs that were compromised in the fire. Bovis said it will take eight to 10 weeks to remove the slabs, which are on the south side of the building between floors 15 and 20.

“Prior to any abatement work, this needs to happen first,” said Frank Voci, senior vice president at Bovis.

The head of LVI, the largest abatement company in the country, said he approached the L.M.D.C. to seek the contract.

“Safety is a culture at LVI,” president and C.E.O. Robert McNamara said. LVI provides rewards based on safety performance, and has incident rates well below the national average.

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to get in after this problem, get it done and get it done safely,” McNamara said.

Schick would not say how much the project has cost so far or how much it is projected to cost, but he told reporters he expects to pay LVI in the tens of millions.

Schick and Voci listed the progress made since the fire, including restoring the fire standpipe, rebuilding fire staircases, removing flammable material and resealing the building. Schick said contractors will soon install a fire-suppression system with a sensitive trigger and a system to detect any breach in the standpipe — which was broken before the fire and contributed to the deaths.

Bovis also created a new position of project safety manager, assigned to Ray Master, who will work solely on 130 Liberty St.

“I am committed, very specifically and concretely, to getting this job done without incident,” said Master.

Community members and activists have generally praised the selection of LVI, but many remain concerned about the overall project.

“We’re very relieved a nationally known contractor is taking over,” said Kimberly Flynn, head of 9/11 Environmental Action. “However, the community is still waiting to exhale. We’re still waiting for Avi Schick to announce that L.M.D.C. is committed to decontaminate the entire building first before demolishing it.”

In testimony at the hearing, Julie Menin, chairperson of Community Board 1 and an L.M.D.C. board member, encouraged transparent deliberations, saying there has been progress to that end since the fire.

“The most important thing is that the building come down as expeditiously and safely as possible,” Menin said during a break in the hearing. She sounded pleased with the goal of demolishing the building within the year, as long as it is done safely.

During the hearing, Gerson emphasized that the delays in demolishing 130 Liberty St. delay other construction on the World Trade Center site, particularly the tourist bus garage and vehicle security center.

“There is no time left for needless bureaucracy or governmental delay,” Gerson said. “Every day the building remains un-razed delays progress at ground zero.”

[email protected]
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #88
Kailyas

Likes (Received): 7

great design
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #89
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01242008...ero_635328.htm
DOUBLE TALK ON GROUND ZERO

January 24, 2008 -- The former Deutsche Bank building at Ground Zero has stood for years as a monument to bureaucratic bungling - but could finally be coming down!

. . . Sometime this year.

That is, if one is to believe Lower Manhattan Development Corp. Chairman Avi Schick, who took heat at the City Council yesterday over the LMDC's continued inability to bring down the building - which was grievously damaged on 9/11, and in August was the site of a hellish blaze that killed two firefighters.

Schick got a much-deserved tongue-lashing from Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) after first insisting that any timetable for the building's demolition wouldn't be "productive" at this point.

Maybe not from his perspective. No timetable, after all, means no benchmark for progress - and no standard against which to gauge blame.

No wonder that Schick was soon back to his original plan: asking the council, in essence, to simply accept his assurances that all concerned are "committed" to getting the building down quickly.

Whatever the hell that means.

Indeed, Schick wouldn't (couldn't?) even say what precise steps are still needed before the LMDC gets the all-clear to resume work.

And that's especially odd, given that subcontractor LVI Services says it hopes to restart preliminary deconstruction work by Monday.

Bottom line: Schick's dodgy testimony inspires little confidence that further delays aren't in the wings.

More candor, please.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM   #90
TalB
Refugee

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_248/epasays.html
Volume 20, Number 36 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | Feb. 1 - 7 , 2008

E.P.A. says it waited 5 months for Deutsche demo plan

By Julie Shapiro

Downtown Express photo by Lorenzo Ciniglio

The former Deutsche Bank building across from the World Trade Center site stands now at 26 stories and there is no date yet to resume demolition.

Just over five months after the fatal blaze at the former Deutsche Bank building, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation submitted its first official plan for the building to the Environmental Protection Agency.

The E.P.A. has been criticized in some quarters for delaying the resumption of the work, but the agency says it didn’t get a final plan to approve until last week, and that was changed two days later.

Pat Evangelista, the E.P.A.’s World Trade Center coordinator, told Downtown Express that the L.M.D.C. gave the plan to the E.P.A. Jan. 21, then revised and resubmitted it Jan. 23.

The L.M.D.C., charged with decontaminating and demolishing 130 Liberty St., has floated other plans in the past, but this was “the first ‘plan’ plan,” Evangelista, said.

The L.M.D.C. submitted the plan to several other government agencies as well, Evangelista said. After a community meeting Jan. 24, Evangelista said he had started reviewing the plan but couldn’t comment on specifics. He did not say if the L.M.D.C.’s plan would abate the entire building before starting demolition, a choice E.P.A. would support.

Avi Schick, L.M.D.C. chairperson, has long been leaning toward abating before demolishing. He and L.M.D.C. president David Emil came close to committing to that course at the community meeting.

Emil said the L.M.D.C. is working on an abatement plan and will come up with a deconstruction plan while the building is being abated. Schick hurried to add that the corporation hasn’t decided on anything yet.

Kimberly Flynn, head of 9/11 Environ*mental Action, was concerned that by the time the L.M.D.C. finalizes a plan and city agencies approve it, it will be too late for the community to give meaningful input.

“Even in the bad old days of Pataki,” Flynn said, the community had a chance to see draft plans and give input before the agencies made final decisions. “The sky isn’t going to fall if we get to look at those plans.”

Since the fire, head contractor Bovis Lend Lease has shied away from admitting any mistakes or wrongdoing. But Frank Voci, senior vice president of Bovis, came close to doing just that at the meeting. His goal, he told the audience, “is to regain your trust and confidence. I’ve lived in New York City all my life. Ground zero is very important to me. This project is very important to me.”

He also said he joined the project after the fire.

Voci called the tall building crane “an eyesore” because neighbors see it standing still day after day. He promised to get the crane moving, using it to remove debris from the building’s top floors.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver attended the meeting, which was held in his hearing room. He started to criticize L.M.D.C., but ultimately struck a more positive tone and focused on the future. “The new administration should be in full swing in its second year,” he said, referring to Gov. Elliot Spitzer’s appointees.

The L.M.D.C. said last week it expects to have 130 Liberty St. down by the end of 2008. When asked if L.M.D.C.’s contracts with Bovis and subcontractor LVI Services include deadlines, Schick replied that LVI’s contract did not, but he did not say anything about Bovis. Prior to the fire, the L.M.D.C. agreed not to dispute $6 million of payments to Bovis if the building was taken down by the end of 2007.

Dave Newman, industrial hygienist for New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health, accused the L.M.D.C. of hiding information. Newman later provided Downtown Express with copies of freedom of information law requests he sent to the L.M.D.C. Among other documents, Newman wanted a copy of the fire safety agreement between the city and L.M.D.C. from last September, shortly after the fire that killed two firefighters.

In a reply this month, Irene Chang, counsel for L.M.D.C., told Newman the document does not exist. However, Newman also provided Downtown Express with a copy of a fire safety agreement, in the form of a Sept. 11, 2007 letter by Schick and Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler to the E.P.A.

An L.M.D.C. spokesperson did not respond to requests for comment.

Several people, including Newman, mentioned the L.M.D.C.’s Community Advisory Council, which L.M.D.C. all but disbanded early last summer. Schick told the audience L.M.D.C. has been meeting with community members in Silver’s office regularly since the fire, but several people called out, “That’s not the same thing.” Schick said he didn’t understand the difference. Julie Menin, C.B. 1’s chairperson, suggested including Community Advisory Council members at Silver’s meetings in the future.

Toward the end of the meeting, Schick put the community’s concerns into words that everyone could agree with.

“What people want to see is progress,” he said. “And frankly, words mean much less than progress.”

[email protected]
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:56 AM   #91
chappo666
chappo666

Likes (Received): 1

THIS IS THE VIEW OF IT FROM BARCLAY TOWER... on Jan 1st, 2008..hadn't been to bed yet.

Why can't they just demolish it quicker??
chappo666 no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #92
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

You've had to been drinking to do something like that.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM   #93
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Say what! How did you get up there? Was it scary?
krull no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #94
dios tanatos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull View Post
Say what! How did you get up there? Was it scary?
He musta been so drunk he prolly dont remember. You gotta be real shitfaced to pull a stunt like that.
dios tanatos no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:41 AM   #95
chappo666
chappo666

Actually no...no you don't have to be drunk! We went up there first sober...then we brought beers back up with us onto the roof to watch the sunset! It was dangerous but not stupid...it wasn't a stunt...it was an experience mate. I suggest you try it...not that you'd have the chance.

Last edited by chappo666; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Pictures!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM   #96
philvia

lmfao thats a really cool pic tho!
philvia no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:49 AM   #97
chappo666
chappo666

cheers philvia!

...and were Australian...if that makes any more sense... lol
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM   #98
MDguy

That's Crazy! Haha musta been fun though! i wish i got the chance!
MDguy no está en línea  
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #99
philvia

ohhh you added more pics!!
how did you get up there? ;|
thats awesome haha
philvia no está en línea  
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #100
chappo666
chappo666

um we just went up to the top floor and went through a few doors and up a few ladders...pretty scary stuff! JAY-Z was in the top penthouse...so we were higher than him haha

Closed Thread

Tags
world trade center