daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #121
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

What about the soon-to-be-former world headquarters building of Bear Stearns?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #122
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

news from SSP:

Looks like they may just get this one down yet...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/ny...on&oref=slogin

Work to Resume at Burned Bank Tower

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 1, 2008

New York City lifted a stop-work order on Wednesday at a condemned skyscraper across the street from ground zero that had been in effect since a fire there killed two firefighters in August.

The Department of Buildings removed the order after contractors spent weeks building new fire control systems at the 26-story former Deutsche Bank building.

The building was heavily damaged on Sept. 11, 2001, when the World Trade Center’s south tower collapsed into it, leaving a trail of toxic debris. The remains of many victims of the terrorist attacks were found there in the past two years, while regulators battled over how to dismantle the building and remove the debris.

The fire on Aug. 18, 2007, believed to have been started by a construction worker’s discarded cigarette, led to a grand jury criminal investigation and shut down work on the building.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the state agency that owns the building, said 300 workers would begin six-day-a-week shifts to clean 19 floors of toxic material.

Schedules call for the building to be dismantled by the end of the year, more than two years after the original date.
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:16 PM   #123
King-Krunch
:-)

Likes (Received): 50

good news, so there's still hope that the tower may be completely dismantled by the end of the year
King-Krunch no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #124
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Krunch View Post
good news, so there's still hope that the tower may be completely dismantled by the end of the year
Still hope? That thing will be gone in 6 months. I see it every week, and aside from the accident work stoppage, it went down & down & down. I'll get photos this thursday.

- Andy
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #125
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

the demolishing of towers is always quite fast
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #126
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I wonder if they are going to stick with the current design, modify it a tad to look better, or start over.
Whatever happens, they, Chase, said that they are indeed going to erect WTC Tower 5, and I hope it will be a sleek glassy skyscraper since you have a 53-story sleek, glassy tower going up a few meters away from 130 Liberty Street, right next door to WTC Tower 5, and on the other side you have the simple yet beyond massive WTC Tower 4 @ 150 Greenwich. I'm sure that we'll find out before the year ends, cause by the end of the year the old bank tower will be out of the picture with a little luck, to be later replaced by a new, taller and bigger bank tower. Lower Manhattan sure has a lot to look forward to.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #127
metsfan
Photographer

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but how can there be a WTC7 if there is no 6? IS there a 6? If so what building is it? I have only heard of 1-5.

- Andy
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #128
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but how can there be a WTC7 if there is no 6? IS there a 6? If so what building is it? I have only heard of 1-5.

- Andy
It is called '7 World Trade Center' because, well, it replaced the previous '7 World Trade Center', which was on the same site.

Pre-2001-09-11, the buildings were:

1 WTC - the North Tower
2 WTC - the South Tower
3 WTC - the Marriott Hotel
4 WTC - (low-rise building around plaza)
5 WTC - (ditto)
6 WTC - (ditto)
7 WTC - mid-rise building across street to north of plaza.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea  
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #129
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
It is called '7 World Trade Center' because, well, it replaced the previous '7 World Trade Center', which was on the same site.

Pre-2001-09-11, the buildings were:

1 WTC - the North Tower
2 WTC - the South Tower
3 WTC - the Marriott Hotel
4 WTC - (low-rise building around plaza)
5 WTC - (ditto)
6 WTC - (ditto)
7 WTC - mid-rise building across street to north of plaza.

Mike
I think when they rebuilt 7 WTC they had a 7 building replacement idea also, plus 7 is utilized by the PANYNJ as their HQ and several other key functions for the city and was a no brainer to be quickly rebuilt. I'll try to get some photos of it this thursday, it's a bit cold, but very well proportioned and much taller than the original 7wtc. I think its coldness is due to the fact that is a very function oriented structure, with the substation and phone switching stuff at the bottom. If you've ever been there next to it, it has a very uncomfortable grille mesh going on that feels like it could stop a car without taking too much damage, and seems to be several "layers" thick. I am sure this is to accommodate ventilation and security at the same time.

Edit: Photos:

I liked this detail.

- Andy

Last edited by metsfan; May 14th, 2008 at 03:06 AM.
metsfan no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #130
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...ckly_will.html
Failure to rebuild WTC site quickly will cost taxpayers

BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Monday, May 12th 2008, 11:09 AM

Photos by Zuma and AP

Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein got (c.) sweet deal from Mayor Bloomberg (l.) and George Pataki.

New Yorkers are on the hook to hand over $321 million to Goldman Sachs, America's richest investment bank, because reconstruction of the World Trade Center has fallen way behind schedule.

Under the hidden terms of a deal that then-Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg approved in 2005, the city and state agreed to pay huge penalties to the firm if major portions of Ground Zero redevelopment weren't complete by next year, a target now considered impossible to meet.

Goldman wanted speedy construction because the Wall Street giant is building its own $2.4 billion tower across from the site on West St.

Now, Goldman could snare 64 years of free rent worth $161 million that it's supposed to pay for leasing the state land. Goldman could also recoup an additional $160 million in sales tax payments.

The sweetheart deal okayed by Bloomberg and Pataki also provided $1.65 billion in tax-free

Liberty Bonds and a $115 million incentive package. At the time, the bank was threatening to decamp to New Jersey.

In return for constructing its 43-story office building for 9,000 employees, Goldman. was allowed to put $161 million it owed in rent and $160 million in sales taxes into escrow accounts, documents show. Albany and City Hall agreed that Goldman could keep its cash if two conditions were not met:

* Specific blockbuster transit-and-security projects on the Trade Center footprint had to be finished by the end of next year, when Goldman's tower will be finished. Officials concede that's not going to happen - and that the projects are years behind schedule.

* A comprehensive security plan for downtown had to be "implemented" before 2010. That counterterrorist plan can't be fully "implemented," as the deal requires, until the structures at Ground Zero are in place.

The bottom line: The $321 million bonanza in tax and lease payments could soon revert to the Wall Street powerhouse, which piled up $11.6 billion in profits last year.

Goldman spokeswoman Andrea Raphael declined to comment, but in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing four months ago, the firm made note of the escrow deal and implied it could be pocketing the ground-lease payments.

"Under the terms of the ground lease, we made a lump-sum ground rent payment in June 2007 of $161 million, which was paid into escrow, to be released to the Battery Park City Authority pending performance of specified state and city obligations," it said.

State officials wouldn't discuss specifics - even though the document they refused to discuss can be found on the SEC Web site. City officials think they're off the hook.

"The city is on track to provide a comprehensive security plan for lower Manhattan by the end of 2009 as required by the agreement, and we are working with the Port Authority and Lower Manhattan Development Corp. to help them meet the other deadlines," said Deputy Mayor for Economic. Development Robert. Lieber.

Lawyers are likely to argue this point: How can a security plan for Ground Zero. be "implemented" by 2010 if none of the iconic buildings at the site are wrapped up by that time?

Sources close to the deal said only that the state and city are in preliminary talks with Goldman to win a bit of flexibility.

"The state and Goldman Sachs have and continue to have productive conversations on ensuring that downtown is rebuilt in a manner that is fair to both workers and residents and, of course, all taxpayers," said Avi Schick, chairman of the LMDC.

Among the projects supposed to see ribbon cuttings by 2010:

* The Transportation Hub: With its soaring wings designed to resemble a bird in flight, the PATH terminal was originally planned to open in 2006. A new report says there's less than a 5% chance of the hub being complete before July 2012.

* The Vehicular Security Center under Liberty St.: A centerpiece of security operations, this is the planned $478 million subterranean complex through which delivery trucks and buses will access the 16-acre site. Construction of the high-tech security checkpoint can't even start until the toxic former Deutsche Bank tower above it is finally demolished. The latest estimated opening date is 2011 or 2012.

[email protected]
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #131
metsfan
Photographer

I wish WTC would get fricking finished, it's been 7 years!!!!!!!!! You could have built and demolished 4 WTC's in that time period to showcase each design proposal!! I am tired of streets being blocked off, subway patterns and access routes being changed weekly, and the construction noise, and the traffic disruptions..... Finish the damn thing all ready!

- Andy
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #132
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05162008...che_111076.htm
FALLING DEBRIS HALTS DEUTSCHE

By CHUCK BENNETT and ED ROBINSON

May 16, 2008 -- Dismantling work at the trouble-plagued site of the Deutsche Bank building was halted yesterday after a steel disc fell 22 stories from a hoist, authorities said. No one was hurt.

The 4-pound disc fell from a hoist operated by a contractor with ties to the company blamed for last year's blaze that killed two firefighters. Regional Scaffolding & Hoisting shares executives with the John Galt Corp., which was fired over safety violations after the fatal fire.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #133
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5335

It's taking forever to dismantle that krautbank!
Woonsocket54 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #134
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

today by Scruffy, SSP:

ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #135
metsfan
Photographer

It seems to have stopped, probably internal work being done. I will get photos thursday.

- Andy
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #136
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5335

It's Friday. Where are the pictures?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea  
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #137
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

can a mod please edit the Title to only "5 World Trade Center", the tower will not be the HQ of JP Morgan Chase. source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=346
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #138
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

June 12th by NYguy, SSP:

ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #139
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
I wish WTC would get fricking finished, it's been 7 years!!!!!!!!! Finish the damn thing all ready!
Amen Brother!

Old August 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #140
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

This still has not come down, they said it will be completely gone by the end of the year, nearly September and still where it was 14 months ago. Yet another promise made about the redevelopment of Lower Manhattan that is missed and false.

Last edited by twilight_2008; August 27th, 2008 at 12:20 AM.
twilight_2008 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world trade center