daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #161
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

let's hope 5WTC is in the 200m+ range...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...-rss&FEEDNAME=

NYU to 'zero' in on WTC

By TOM TOPOUSIS
June 15, 2010

Quote:
New York University officials are eyeing lower Manhattan -- including a tower at the World Trade Center -- as part of their 20-year plan to dramatically expand campus housing, classrooms and other services, The Post has learned.

In a letter to the Port Authority and Lower Manhattan Development Corp., NYU Vice President Lynne Brown has requested a meeting with rebuilding officials to determine which downtown sites are available for campus expansion.

The university is planning to add 6 million square feet of new space, about half of which would be built in the college's core area in and around Greenwich Village. But Brown said the university can't meet all of it needs in the historic neighborhood.

"For that reason, we would like to discuss lower Manhattan as part of our exploration of remote sites," she wrote in a letter dated June 11.

Brown cited community officials who have advocated that NYU move into the World Trade Center's yet-to-be-built Tower 5, which is slated for the site of the former Deutsche Bank building now being demolished.

Tower 5 is expected to include 1.3 million square feet of space. The PA is looking for a developer willing to build either an office tower or a combination hotel and housing high-rise on the site after it's cleared by the end of this year, which would fit in with NYU's plans.

"We're certainly willing to meet with NYU and pleased that there is so much continuing interest in the site during its building," said a PA spokesman.

Brown said she wants to meet with LMDC officials to learn about any opportunities available downtown and "to assess whether there is some role that the university can play to help revitalize and diversify the area."

Under NYU's expansion plan, the university's campus would grow by 40 percent over the next two decades.

So far, officials have identified Downtown Brooklyn, a corridor along First Avenue in Manhattan -- near NYU's medical center -- and Governors Island as possible sites for growth.

Sources familiar with the university's plans insist that Tower 5 would not be used to replace a proposed 40-story tower that NYU still wants to build on Bleecker Street, which is the most controversial element of the expansion plan.

Julie Menin, chairperson of downtown's Community Board 1, said a move by NYU to expand in lower Manhattan would find broad community support.

"I raised this idea a number of weeks ago," Menin said. "I'm very pleased they are taking this idea seriously.

"I think it makes sense for a whole lot of reasons. Tower 5 is perfect for them."

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #162
Bob!
Not the Builder

Likes (Received): 349

Source

Source

by GreenwichBoy (WNY), June 16th 2010
Bob! no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #163
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Reports http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._manhattan.php that NYU was interested in partnering with a developer for the 5WTC site are apparently false:

http://dnainfo.com/20100615/manhatta...de-center-move

Last edited by desertpunk; June 17th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #164
lookinflowers

Likes (Received): 440

so so, could be better..
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #165
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

http://dnainfo.com/20100625/manhatta...-deutsche-site

Port Authority Chief Doesn't Want to Wait a Decade to Develop Deutsche Site

June 25, 2010
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:
A mixed-used skyscraper that provides residential living and shops, along with office space, should rise on the site of the Deutsche Bank building, Port Authority executive director Chris Ward said Friday morning.

Speaking a day after outgoing deputy mayor Rober Lieber said the Deutsche site should remain a hole in the ground for a decade while the office market recovers, the Port Authority chief said he saw no reason to wait to build Tower 5.

“We’re going to have to be flexible and creative downtown,” Ward told DNAinfo. “Let’s keep our options open to create the best possible project.”

Ward was responding to Dep. Mayor Robert Lieber’s statement on Thursday that the site for World Trade Center Tower 5 could stay vacant for the next decade, until the real estate market demands additional office space there.

Ward, though, said he envisioned that Tower 5 could follow in the footsteps of the Time Warner Center, which contains offices, condos, a hotel and retail space.

If the Port Authority keeps its options open and works with developers to make the project successful, “something will happen well before 10 years,” Ward said.

Julie Menin, chairwoman of Community Board 1, said she had spoken to residential and hotel developers who were interested in building there, and she hoped affordable housing could be part of the future plan as well.

Menin said it is important to start planning now so the community is not left with “another hole in the ground” once the Deutsche Bank building finally comes down at the end of this year.

“We should not let this languish,” Menin said. “We should get ahead of the curve.”
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM   #166
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2010...ice-tower.html

Dep. Mayor: 130 Liberty St. Should be Reserved for Office Tower

By Matt Dunning
UPDATED Jun. 30

Quote:
It appeared to be a plan whose time had passed: an office tower on the former Deutsche Bank building site, just across the street from the 10 million square feet of office space planned for the World Trade Center site. But a high-level Bloomberg administration official still believes the idea could work—10 years from now—and it’s worth waiting for.

Outgoing Deputy Mayor Robert Lieber, in charge of the city’s economic development, said that despite the lack of a willing developer or anchor tenant, an office tower similar to the one JP Morgan Chase had planned to occupy at 130 Liberty Street two years ago could eventually be economically viable.

“What we’re talking about now is something that’s going to take place a decade from now,” Lieber, a member of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation’s board of directors, said during a meeting of the board this month. “I can’t say with any confidence that there’s no need for more office space in Lower Manhattan. I actually believe that there will be.”

“Site 5,” the site of the former Deutsche Bank building, has been in limbo ever since JP Morgan Chase abandoned its plans for a 42-story headquarters there, choosing to move uptown after its acquisition of Bear Stearns in 2008. Though plans for the 1.3 million-square-foot tower were shelved indefinitely, the site has remained zoned for commercial development only.

Lieber’s comments came as fellow board member and Community Board 1 chairwoman Julie Menin asked the board to change the site’s designated use from commercial to residential, which would open the door for an apartment or hotel development on the lot once the Deutsche Bank building is torn down.

Menin had earlier suggested that New York University locate its planned 40-story skyscraper on Site 5 as an alternative to a proposed location on Bleecker Street, where Village residents have opposed its construction. NYU has since rejected the idea but expressed possible interest in the site for part of its expansion. She has also advocated for a performing arts center—now slated for the World Trade Center site—to be relocated to Site 5.

“I just feel like we’re sitting on this and we don’t have a plan,” Menin said. “I think it’s well understood that there’s not going to be a demand for office space, given the towers that are already being built.”

“There is an interest from developers all over the city to build it as a residential or hotel development,” she added.

Any change to the site’s permitted use would require an environmental review and approval by the city’s Planning Commission, LMDC president David Emil said during the June 24 meeting. Both Emil and board chairman Avi Schick said they agreed with Menin that it was time to reevaluate what kind of building will go on the site.

“It can be done, and it probably should be done,” Emil said.

“[The site is] an asset that we hold in the public trust for the community,” board chairman Avi Schick said, “and I think we want to make sure that we engage with the community as we figure out what the best and highest use for that asset is.”

Nevertheless, Lieber, who will leave city government later this summer, called soliciting offers for residential construction a “useless exercise.” He said he believed demand for commercial space at the World Trade Center site would someday exceed the capacity of the three office towers—including the Port Authority’s 1,776-foot-tall tower at One World Trade Center—currently planned for the area.

“I think we’re way too early to think about changing the use,” Lieber said. “The more we mess around with this and create uncertainty around it, the more complicated it’s going to be to get those tenants to come down to Lower Manhattan and occupy that space.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #167
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

I think this site should be used as a hotel. The old WTC had a hotel, why can't the new one?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #168
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Sounds more and more like they're shooting for bulk office at 5WTC to compete with Jersey City. The signature towers across the street are more than enough for Premier Class A tennants. Hotels are already springing up nearby, witness the W Hotel that will open soon.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #169
sieradzanin1

Likes (Received): 1046

Update :

by hoveringcheesecake

Prep ?
sieradzanin1 no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #170
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I'm really mad this thread is still open. This design isn't going to happen.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #171
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieradzanin1 View Post
Update :
Prep ?
That is work for the Vehicular Security Center (VSC), it has nothing to do with a future tower 5.. let's hope they build WTC 2 & 3 up to their full height first..
oli83 no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #172
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Sounds more and more like they're shooting for bulk office at 5WTC to compete with Jersey City. The signature towers across the street are more than enough for Premier Class A tennants. Hotels are already springing up nearby, witness the W Hotel that will open soon.
There is a very big and constant demand for high-end residential and hotel space in NY, especially downtown which currently has only a Ritz (and soon will have a Hilton and a Four Seasons). Thus, the third largest business district in the US will have only three high-end hotels in the near future. When this tower is built, I'd be shocked if it's not a five-star hotel/condo.
RobertWalpole no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #173
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think for now they should leave the spot empty, once all other WTC towers are completed and the economy will be in a boom again, they should build there a 1500ft+ mixed use tower.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #174
Vormek
Scarface

Likes (Received): 22

We don't want this New World Order puppets to have anything to do with New York!
Vormek no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #175
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormek
We don't want this New World Order puppets to have anything to do with New York!
What do you mean? Their headquarters is already in NY.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #176
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc
I'm really mad this thread is still open. This design isn't going to happen.
Maybe not the same design, but I don't doubt something will go up here.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #177
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think for now they should leave the spot empty, once all other WTC towers are completed and the economy will be in a boom again, they should build there a 1500ft+ mixed use tower.
Quit giving ppl false hopes. I'm here to tell you once again, the height limit for this building is 900 feet. 1,500 feet isn't going to happen.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #178
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Besides, if it was over 900 feet, it would ruin the spiral effect.
WTCNewYork no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #179
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Quit giving ppl false hopes. I'm here to tell you once again, the height limit for this building is 900 feet. 1,500 feet isn't going to happen.
I give somebody false hope? How can I give somebody false hope if I have only stated my opinion. I never said that they will do it, I said they should do it. I hope you see the difference. You can attack me as much as you want, but that won't change what I said
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #180
citysur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post

Now that's just funny, if you hate or love it.
Out of scale !
citysur no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world trade center