daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #201
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
And about the colors, I hate them too. If you make a road in many colors, at least make the main surface all black and emergency lane white, like in Slovenia, that way it's more clear. But the worst thing (sometimes related to different layers of asphalt) is that German Autobahns aren't smooth, they are quite bad compared to, say, Italian ones (also the latter have mostly one color, I noticed. )
I don't think people in in Germany really care about autobahn aesthetics. The main goal is to handle the massive traffic. Especially the massive load of trucks is challenging the german infrastructure.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #202
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
2,5m EUR is not that much. Thank you!
Well, the german taxpayer disagrees.

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #203
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I don't think people in in Germany really care about autobahn aesthetics. The main goal is to handle the massive traffic. Especially the massive load of trucks are challenging the german infrastructure.
but as if fat layers of asphalt don´t last long, fat layers asphalt last 20 years even with tracktraffic, in germany it doesn´t get hot very often so asphalt is ideal, in bulgaria when it is 40+ degrees the asphalt gets soft but in germany there aren´t such temperatures.

"Well, the german taxpayer disagrees. "

It´s very expensive
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #204
goschio
proud Kuffar

^
Asphalt tends to form depressions under extreme heavy traffic. Such depressions are really dangerous when it rains because of aquaplaning and reduced grip. But perhaps the concrete was just the cheaper solution. Who knows. I personally don't really care about the color differences. All I want is to come from A to B.

Old September 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #205
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Well, the german taxpayer disagrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
It´s very expensive
Well,we've built a 1800m long,80m high motorway viaduct in a flat country...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #206
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Well,we've built a 1800m long,80m high motorway viaduct in a flat country...
Good for you. Probably financed by EU. I think its a waste of money.

Old September 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #207
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Good for you. Probably financed by EU. I think its a waste of money.
Financed entirely by the country. This is the first year we use EU funds. Dont judge too fast...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #208
goschio
proud Kuffar

Some pics of the A9 from Munich to Nürnberg:
pics from this site
http://www.autobahn-bilder.de/inlines/a9.htm

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #209
goschio
proud Kuffar

A bit closer to Nürnberg on the A9:
pics from this site
http://www.autobahn-bilder.de/inlines/a9.htm

Old September 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #210
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

More pictures from Germany:

-A8:

Apparently I took shots of the scenery mostly, as the Autobahn looks very bad, no shoulders, rusty crashbarriers, a lot of traffic, to be honest I would expect at least a 2x3 from a country like Germany on this section. This Autobahn is just as wide as it was half a century ago.

This one is just at the border with Austria, the concrete dividers are the Austrians' specialty :

In Germany:

^ this photo is dedicated to Radi as I would like to hear his opinion about the crashbarrier in the lower part of the picture !

A nice village, I wonder which one this is?

And here is Chiemsee, the largest lake in Bavaria, A.K.A. The Bavarian Sea:

At least here we have 3 lanes:

- Inntal Autobahn, from Rosenheim towards the Border with Austria:

This motorway is newer and better, it has shoulders and it's pretty much OK. But still definitely not the best.

The rest of the road will be on the Austrian thread, of course !
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #211
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

ja, this a9 is real autobahn!!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #212
radi6404

I don´t know why German emergency lames are always so narrow, it is quite dangerous on these. they should be at least as wide as a normal lame because ofcourse when someone has problems he want look wha´ts up with the engine and with this quite dumb narrow lames it is very dangerouns.

These are fine emergency lames, you can stop there without being affraid that someone might hit you and repair the car if neccesary.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #213
x-type
con los terroristas

european standard for sos lanes is 2,5 (against 3,75 for driving lanes). anyhow, it is never recomended to stop at emergency lane, but even beside it (at least with half car). emergency lanes are here mostly because if somebody start to loose control over stear that he doesn't run off the road immidiatly, but get a chance to get back to driving lane. because when at once you grab the grass, you will 90% have an accident.
italians for instance have those sos parkings each few hundred meters. and at all motorways there should be a sign that is forbidden even stopping in sos lanes (here in Croatia it is allways, and i've seen it in foreign countries too)
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #214
radi6404

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8994/dsc00046fc3.jpg

this should be european standart
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #215
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
european standard for sos lanes is 2,5 (against 3,75 for driving lanes). anyhow, it is never recomended to stop at emergency lane, but even beside it (at least with half car). emergency lanes are here mostly because if somebody start to loose control over stear that he doesn't run off the road immidiatly, but get a chance to get back to driving lane. because when at once you grab the grass, you will 90% have an accident.
italians for instance have those sos parkings each few hundred meters. and at all motorways there should be a sign that is forbidden even stopping in sos lanes (here in Croatia it is allways, and i've seen it in foreign countries too)
Yes, Italian and Croatian motorways have high standards, they are among my favorites in Europe.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #216
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
yeah, go to European Parliament and tell them
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #217
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

2,5m is okay. A trucker can park his truck there without a direct need for other users to go to the left. I thougt in holland the minimum is 2,75, or with 'spitsstroken' (rush hour lanes) or when busses are allowed to drive on the emergency lane, even larger.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #218
x-type
con los terroristas

yeah, it might be 2,75, i'm not sure, but i know that i read it is definitly less than 3 m
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #219
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

When I went to France I drove on the German Higway, sometimes it's nice and you can drive hard, but when you're looking for a restaurant or gas station on some parts is difficult!
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #220
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
When I went to France I drove on the German Higway, sometimes it's nice and you can drive hard, but when you're looking for a restaurant or gas station on some parts is difficult!
There is generally a gas station every 50km. Do you really find that difficult? Here in Australia, gas stations are sometimes several 100km apart. So you have to fill up to reach the next gas stations.

And I have to agree, some rest areas/ restaurants on german motroways are crap. Especially the ones in northern Germany. But there are plenty good ones as well with nice breakfast and lunch buffet. There is nothing better than a nice Schnitzel with Jägersosse and fried potatoes. At least for me. LOL

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau