daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2201
King-Krunch
:-)

Likes (Received): 50

ChrisZwolle, regarding your last picture post:

That narrow stretch between Magdala and Göschwitz will be history in a few years. It will be replaced by the Jagdberg Tunnel. That big heap you can see in pic 45 is actually excavated material from the tunnel construction. They are way ahead of schedule (about 10 months if i remember correctly) because the geology turned out less challenging than previously feared. In fact the breakthrough ceremony for the tunnel tubes will take place on August 27th, less than a week from now

On a side note: The second tube of that other tunnel you showed in pic 50 is supposed to open at the end of September.
King-Krunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM   #2202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Video: A7 Kassel - Bad Hersfeld

Watch below or in HD on the youtube site

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM   #2203
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

As funds are not enough to finance all useful projects until a specific point (actually this point is 2015), the projects are differentiated in "Vordringlicher Bedarf" (urgent need) and "Weiterer Bedarf" (additional need). "Vordringlich" in this case means that the project may be planned and are likely to be started or even finished until 2015. Most projects of "Weiterer Bedarf" will most likely not see a single Euro before 2015.
Unfortunately, the A4 between Kirchheimer Dreieck (A5,A7) and Wommen (the A44 from Dortmund and Kassel will join there when finished) is only listed in "Weiterer Bedarf", but the section west of Wildeck-Obersuhl, where the shoulders are missing, will be upgraded the next years (they already began as you can see near Kirchheimer Dreick especially westbound): shoulders and a 3rd lane in climbing sections will be added and curves defused. The remaining parts between Wommen and Dresden that don't have 6 lanes plus shoulders yet are already under construction.
Adding shoulders and lengthen acceleration/decelaration lanes will be done to all motorways if they don't have yet. It just takes some time
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #2204
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
As funds are not enough to finance all useful projects until a specific point (actually this point is 2015), the projects are differentiated in "Vordringlicher Bedarf" (urgent need) and "Weiterer Bedarf" (additional need). "Vordringlich" in this case means that the project may be planned and are likely to be started or even finished until 2015. Most projects of "Weiterer Bedarf" will most likely not see a single Euro before 2015.
Unfortunately, the A4 between Kirchheimer Dreieck (A5,A7) and Wommen (the A44 from Dortmund and Kassel will join there when finished) is only listed in "Weiterer Bedarf", but the section west of Wildeck-Obersuhl, where the shoulders are missing, will be upgraded the next years (they already began as you can see near Kirchheimer Dreick especially westbound): shoulders and a 3rd lane in climbing sections will be added and curves defused. The remaining parts between Wommen and Dresden that don't have 6 lanes plus shoulders yet are already under construction.
Adding shoulders and lengthen acceleration/decelaration lanes will be done to all motorways if they don't have yet. It just takes some time
What's the current schedule on connecting the A44 to the A4 in that area?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2205
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A93 Hof - Regensburg

Click on the title to view the full set.

This set follows A93 southbound, from Dreieck Hochfranken near Hof, along the Czech border past Weiden all the way down south to the city of Regensburg, a distance of 180 kilometers. I suspect this route used to be a Bundesstrasse, since the exit density along A93 is rather high for a rural Autobahn (compared to A9 or A7).

Route:
[IMG]http://i25.************/11gsopi.png[/IMG]

1. Distances after Dreieck Hochfranken. Begin A93 south.
image hosted on flickr

2. A bit over the top to designate Hof as part of the Nürnberg metropolitan area in my opinion.
image hosted on flickr

3. Exit Hof-Zentrum. This part of A93 was opened in 2000, and I drove it in 2002 for the first time.
image hosted on flickr

4. Travelling through the Fichtelgebirge, an extension of the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains)
image hosted on flickr

5. Exit Regnitzlosau.
image hosted on flickr

6. Hof-Süd and Rehau-Nord quickly after eachother.
image hosted on flickr

7. Exit Hof-Süd.
image hosted on flickr

8. Rehau-Nord. This area is very tranquil, with lots of forests and hills. Ideal for those who are searching for quiet peaceful surroundings.
image hosted on flickr

9. Rehau-Süd.
image hosted on flickr

10. Exit Schönwald.
image hosted on flickr

11. Exit Selb-Nord. Exit here for As in extreme western Czechia.
image hosted on flickr

12. Noise protection tunnels near Selb.
image hosted on flickr

13. The next morning.
image hosted on flickr

14. Exit Höchstädt.
image hosted on flickr

15. Distances.
image hosted on flickr

16. Exit Thiersheim.
image hosted on flickr

17. Exit Wunsiedel.
image hosted on flickr

18. Exit Marktredwitz. Also to Cheb in Czechia.
image hosted on flickr

19. Marktredwitz-Süd. South of here is new for me.
image hosted on flickr

20. Exit Pechbrunn.
image hosted on flickr

21. Exit Mitterteich-Nord.
image hosted on flickr

22. Exit Wiesau.
image hosted on flickr

23. Distances.
image hosted on flickr

24. Entering the Oberpfälzer Wald. Which has nothing to do with the Pfalz in western Germany.
image hosted on flickr

25. Exit Falkenberg.
image hosted on flickr

26. Exit Windischeschenbach.
image hosted on flickr

27. Closing in on Regensburg.
image hosted on flickr

28. Two exits follow suit.
image hosted on flickr

29. Exit Neustadt an der Waldnaab.
image hosted on flickr

30. Exit Altenstadt an der Waldnaab.
image hosted on flickr

31. Exit Weiden-Nord. Weiden is the largest town between Hof and Regensburg.
image hosted on flickr

32. Two quick exits again.
image hosted on flickr

33. Exit Weiden-West.
image hosted on flickr

34. Exit Weiden-Frauenricht.
image hosted on flickr

35. Exit Weiden-Süd.
image hosted on flickr

36. Concrete now.
image hosted on flickr

37. Exit Luhe-Wildenau. Another place noone have ever heard of.
image hosted on flickr

38. Approaching Interchange Kreuz Oberpfälzer Wald.
image hosted on flickr

39. First exit Wernberg-Köblitz.
image hosted on flickr

40. Last distance sign with Praha on it.
image hosted on flickr

41. The new interchange with A6. This one opened a few years ago.
image hosted on flickr

42. Looking onto A6 direction Nürnberg.
image hosted on flickr

43. Exit Pfreimd.
image hosted on flickr

44. I'm heading for Passau.
image hosted on flickr

45. Exit Nabburg.
image hosted on flickr

46. Exit Schwarzenfeld.
image hosted on flickr

47. Exit Schwandorf-Nord.
image hosted on flickr

48. Exit Schwandorf-Mitte. This used to be the old route from Nürnberg to southern Czechia.
image hosted on flickr

49. Exit to Cham. I once went skiing in that area.
image hosted on flickr

50. Exit Schwandorf-Süd.
image hosted on flickr

51. Exit Teublitz.
image hosted on flickr

52. Exit Ponholz. Many unimportant exits along A93.
image hosted on flickr

53. Regensburg is not far now.
image hosted on flickr

54. Exit Regenstauf.
image hosted on flickr

55. Exit Regensburg. Speed limit drops to a sleepy 80 km/h.
image hosted on flickr

56. Distances. Not much to sign for A93, though the end of A93 is still quite a distance away.
image hosted on flickr

57. Tunnel ahead.
image hosted on flickr

58. Regensburg-West.
image hosted on flickr

59. Exit Regensburg-Prüfening.
image hosted on flickr

60. Regensburg-Königswiesen.
image hosted on flickr

61. Exit Regensburg-Kumpfmühl.
image hosted on flickr

62. Kreuz Regensburg with A3.
image hosted on flickr

63. Connector to Nürnberg.
image hosted on flickr

64. My exit to Passau.
image hosted on flickr

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2206
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

A93 nice road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A93 Hof - Regensburg

image hosted on flickr

Mobil Speed Camera Point
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2207
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

British motorways are much more generous when it comes to entrances, exits and sliproads compare to German Autobahns. Most sliproads connecting motorways is Britain have full-width hard-shoulder too.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #2208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

True, Germany could improve that. accelerating lanes could be somewhat longer too, especially with the high speed nature of the German Autobahn. It doesn't seem to be a real priority though.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #2209
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
True, Germany could improve that. accelerating lanes could be somewhat longer too, especially with the high speed nature of the German Autobahn. It doesn't seem to be a real priority though.
American highways on the other hand have on-ramps so long that you won't really need an accelerating lane. But the trade-off is that you have to merge into traffic as soon as you enter the highway.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2210
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It also depends on how the on-ramp is build. It's not uncommon in Europe to have a tight curve just before entering the motorway, so you can't run the on-ramp in full-speed. Diamond interchanges are not as common as in the U.S. These are also common, but don't allow as much acceleration as straight diamonds.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #2211
HAWC1506

Quote:
It also depends on how the on-ramp is build. It's not uncommon in Europe to have a tight curve just before entering the motorway, so you can't run the on-ramp in full-speed. Diamond interchanges are not as common as in the U.S. These are also common, but don't allow as much acceleration as straight diamonds.
And if you take identical interchanges from both continents and placed them next to each other, the U.S. one will generally be bigger.

I also noticed something in this picture.

image hosted on flickr

Does Germany not grind grooves in the concrete to improve traction? What kind of concrete is that? The surface is noticibly rougher than untreated Portland Cement Concrete in the U.S.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2212
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This section opened somewhere in the 1960's as one of the first parts of A93 north of Regensburg. (source: German wiki). I think the concrete may be that old. It's not very bad because the traffic volumes on A93 are not very high.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2213
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post

Does Germany not grind grooves in the concrete to improve traction?

Generally, no. At least not like in the US where grooves are cut in the direction of traffic flow. Modern concrete autobahns in Germany and neighbouring countries normally have brushed concrete, where the brushed grooves are made at 90º to traffic flow, as far as I know. This often gives rise to a whining noise on some stretches of the road where the workers had a ... 'difficult day' and pressed too hard on the brush.

I will be in Germany this week and if I run into a bit of stau (traffic jam) I will take a picture of the road surface close up for your pleasure.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2214
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Generally, no. At least not like in the US where grooves are cut in the direction of traffic flow. Modern concrete autobahns in Germany and neighbouring countries normally have brushed concrete, where the brushed grooves are made at 90º to traffic flow, as far as I know. This often gives rise to a whining noise on some stretches of the road where the workers had a ... 'difficult day' and pressed too hard on the brush.

I will be in Germany this week and if I run into a bit of stau (traffic jam) I will take a picture of the road surface close up for your pleasure.

'SOP' at least here in Wisconsin is to cut grooves crosswise into the concrete on major highways, a process called 'tining'. Most concrete paving on major highways here, including freeways/motorways and expressways, is done that way.

Texturing on lower-class roads and local streets is often done by dragging Astroturf (or a similar rough fabric material) lengthwise along the fresh concrete.

Also, often both is done on major roads.

Later on, it is not unusual for concrete paving to be smoothened out with a diamond wheel grinder if its ride starts getting rough, although asphalt overlays are common on really old concrete.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2215
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Here are 3 photos from concrete road surface which I took some weeks ago. It`s from A7 near Göttingen.

SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #2216
HAWC1506

Do you know the age of that concrete? I ask because in the U.S., new concrete often has a really smooth surface, thus requiring the horizontal tining. The concrete in your pictures seems to have a rough surface already. Could it be different types of concrete or simply aged concrete?

Quote:

I will be in Germany this week and if I run into a bit of stau (traffic jam) I will take a picture of the road surface close up for your pleasure..
That would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I took a picture of a concrete section on I-405 in Washington State. It's not very old, but due to studded tire use, it's been worn out quite a bit. That brings me to another question. Are studded tires allowed in Germany?

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2217
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

I`m not sure how old how old the concrete is.

Studded tires are not allowed in Germany.
SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2218
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

Autobahn A8 Augsburg-Munchen

Munchen Richard Strauss Tunnel

Old August 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2219
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: A93, A3 Regensburg

A drive on A93 south and then A3 east bypass Regensburg. The city has quite some exits, as seen in this video.

Watch here in HD on the Youtube site or below:

Old August 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #2220
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

A93 really resemble Polish expressway
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau