daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #221
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yeah, it might be 2,75, i'm not sure, but i know that i read it is definitly less than 3 m
In Estonia, it has to be 3m wide on a motorway, though we don't have motorways, but that's the regulation.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #222
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
2,5m is okay. A trucker can park his truck there without a direct need for other users to go to the left. I thougt in holland the minimum is 2,75, or with 'spitsstroken' (rush hour lanes) or when busses are allowed to drive on the emergency lane, even larger.
2,5 m is too narrow. Trucks may be up to 2,60m wide, not counting mirrors. If another truck passes by, it definatly have to make a move to the left, since you don't want to drive with a 10cm distance by that truck on the em lane.

In the Netherlands, it's mostly 3 - 3,5m wide, although i seen some wider ones. It's a shame that they turn the em lanes on the busiest motorways to extra lanes, since they are most needed on those busy motorways. More traffic is more chance at a breakdown.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #223
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4249

Motorway at the new trade fair in Stuttgart. The structure above the autobahn is a parking house for the trade fair.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #224
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

I love that kind of big structures over motorways. They look cool and help to save land.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #225
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Massive. it's been a while since i drove there, about 5 years ago. Last time we drove via Kassel - Schweinfurt - Bamberg - Nürnberg instead of via the Ruhrgebiet and Frankfurt am Main.

Better scenery along the A7, and not so busy as the A3.
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #226
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

but in the future, you'll find this near the A3 in Frankfurt at the airport
a 660m long office/trade/hotel complex

this is how it looks now. there is the ICE train station for the airport. They'll just build the building on top of that

Last edited by Patrick; September 8th, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #227
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

cool
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #228
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Autobahn....hmmm.

I will admit that the Autobahn is, for the most part, nice looking and well built....but I just dont see that they're that much better than the freeways/expressways/parkways of North America. I remember reading somewhere that the concrete is layed down a ft or so deep for the construction of the Autobahn, whereas here in the N. America concrete is only poured down to a depth about half that, which leads to more cracking and repair requirements. Looking at these pics though, it seems that the Autobahn is very run down and in need of structural repairs in certain areas as well. The freeways in N. America are also much, much larger and in my opinion more impressive. The freeways in certain areas of N. America may need more repairs because they are much more heavily travelled that the Aubobahn in Germany. The autobahn in some way reminds me of the NY State Thruway.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #229
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Autobahn....hmmm.

I will admit that the Autobahn is, for the most part, nice looking and well built....but I just dont see that they're that much better than the freeways/expressways/parkways of North America. I remember reading somewhere that the concrete is layed down a ft or so deep for the construction of the Autobahn, whereas here in the N. America concrete is only poured down to a depth about half that, which leads to more cracking and repair requirements. Looking at these pics though, it seems that the Autobahn is very run down and in need of structural repairs in certain areas as well. The freeways in N. America are also much, much larger and in my opinion more impressive. The freeways in certain areas of N. America may need more repairs because they are much more heavily travelled that the Aubobahn in Germany. The autobahn also covers a much smaller area than the highways of N. America. Germany is roughly the size of one of the larger states in the US.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #230
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Autobahn depth is about twice the American interstate depth. However, Autobahns do indeed need urgent repairs.

I saw them construct a bicyle tunnel nearby, and the foundation used was about 3 ft deep. Seems a bit overdone to me.
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #231
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

the german autobahn myth is really a fairytale one (which is based by the fact that aroiund i guess 2/5 have no speed limit). i guess people often think of well-maintened superhighways when hearing the word "autobahn"). then i always think of the 2+2 part of the A1 between Vulkaneifel and Wittlich, where many people prefer using the left lane (me too) although the right lane is free, because of the poor condition of the lane.
and considering the dimensions: there is just no need to have 6+6 super highways here. because the network is pretty extensive. and because of urban strucutres (suburbanization, public transport etc.) for example: to get from Rhein-Ruhr to Rhein-Main (ca. 200km), you can choose (ok, of course it depends a bit where you start and where you want to get) 3 highways which runs pretty parallel to each other, the A3 (3+3), the A61 (mostly 2+2) and the A45 (mostly 2+2).

EDIT: You said, there'd be nothing special, and when viewing the pics here, that's true. The special feeling just can't be showed with photos, it has to be felt. especially on sundays when trucks are generally banned from the autobahn. I once rode a 3+3 autobahn on a sunday early evening, riding at 170km/h (106mph) (my car's speedometer is limited to 180km/h). but guess what? I had to ride on the right lane, because of being the SLOWEST around for 2-3 minutes. ok, this situation be might very very rare (or I just ride the autobahn too rarely on sundays) but that's the special thing you usually can only get on the german autobahn.

Last edited by Patrick; September 8th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #232
ChrisZwolle
Road user

6x6 lanes = 36 lanes of traffic

No, but i think the major transport axis should be widened all the way to 2x3 lanes. The number of trucks in these western european countries is incredible. In Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, the right lane is always packed with trucks

Lately i drove on the A1 from Osnabrück to Bremen, and i almost drove on the left lane all the way because of the trucks.
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #233
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

i corrected the numbers

my view is a bit limited as i live near the A3 with 3+3, near the A48 to Koblenz with mostly 3+3, the A61 and A45 with partly 2+3 (and around Trier where I study, there's not much traffic to legitimate 2x3 lanes). and so, i was a bit shocked when we drove to Bruxelles via Köln and Aachen, and then I saw what you mean. The 2+2 parts between Köln and Aachen where horrible, one truck behind another.

Last edited by Patrick; September 8th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #234
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sometimes you see in the traffic info, they say "7km stau, und 12km stau für LKW".
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #235
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Heh in terms of pavement quality I have always admired the Dutch motorways, at least from what I've seen on pictures (I've never been there). They look as if every millimetre of the highway was manually inspected to make sure there are no cracks or even spots on them And they even look good aesthetically, with the very extensive use of patterns and colours for different specialized road marking purposes, especially on regular roads (not motorways).
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #236
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Pavmentwise i have to say that German motorways always feel very hard and not smooth, Hungarian motorways feel smooth but are uneven, the asphalt doesn´t have holes but is quite uneven, new Serbian motorways are very ueven, don´t know why that is. Austrian motorways and roads generally feel great, when they are asphalted, concerete not feeling good. Bulgarian new roads and motorways feel extremly smooth and not uneven, the E 79 road Dupnica Kulata altough 7 years old feels so smooth and soft that you forget that you are travelling.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #237
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i think that each country still can envy to german motorways because of high level of back up things such as signalization, safety, a lot of emergency teams and those things
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
They look as if every millimetre of the highway was manually inspected to make sure there are no cracks or even spots on them
In fact, they do. We have "weginspecteurs" (Road investigators), who just drive on the "autosnelweg" (motorway) to check the road for potholes and cracks. Our traffic jam problem might be going out of hand, but the quality of the road is very good.

If something happened to the motorway in an accident where the pavement or streetfurniture is damaged, it is always repaired within a few hours. That's really good, since in some countries, that takes up weeks or longer. If they don't have time to repair it, they make time instantly, that's a really good thing.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #239
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

german roads are german roads, these are amazing!
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #240
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some of the latest German road widening; the A1 near Osnabrück has been widened to 2x3 lanes, however, only for 12km causing huge traffic jams at the merge from 3 to 2 lanes. They really should widen it all the way to Bremen and even Hamburg.

[IMG]http://i13.************/4mha62d.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau