daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2541
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

A few days ago I have driven myself on the autobahn for the first time and I was not really that impressed. It is nice that on al lot of sections you can go as fast as you want but if you ask me the quality of the autobahn is less then what I am used to in The Netherlands. Especially interchanges are very tight, very tight curves and a very short ramps. Also at a lot of places the pavement was pretty bad and in the rain the water was not disposed.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:34 PM   #2542
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

What autobahn was is that you drove on and what section(s)?
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM   #2543
piotr71

Seems to be one of Ruhr autobahn. Description matches to A40.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2544
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Re: motor brake:

I wonder what I'd rather torture: My break coverings -- which can be easily replaced -- or my motor and gearbox.

I guess modern break cover materials allow steady beraking even on long decreeses.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2545
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
Re: motor brake:

I wonder what I'd rather torture: My break coverings -- which can be easily replaced -- or my motor and gearbox.

I guess modern break cover materials allow steady beraking even on long decreeses.
You are not wearing the engine any more than you would be running it for that time. Also if you have a turbo you can go through dips quite efficiently by decending in a low gear and accelerating at the bottom with the engine already at high revs with the turbo span up. Also prolonged use of brakes risks brake fade (where they overheat and cannot dissipate any more heat) and boiling the brake fluid.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2546
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I know about a women, who drove loaded car on a 1000 m descent of a mountain pass road in 4th or 5th gear, using only brakes. On the bottom of a descent brake plates were completely gone.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM   #2547
thun

As I said, go to the foot of a somewhat steep pass road of your choice and enjoy the freshly burned air. The start of the Samnaun road is a good place to do so.

The motor brake doesn't anything to the motor. Whilst using steadily your brakes when going down suddenly, when you might come into a dangerous situation they might not be working (in most cases because of fading).
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM   #2548
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I remember the Maloja pass. About 20-or so hairpins and a descent of 300 meters within 500 meters as the crow flies. The whole route stank of burned brakes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2549
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I was wondering why Hamburg never constructed a northern ringroad or bypass. There is an urban arterial system that forms some form of a bypass, but these roads are no more than 5 km outside the city center, while the city stretches another 15 kilometers to the north. A20 will be too far north to have any impact on Hamburg city traffic.

[IMG]http://i45.************/2nukbqr.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #2550
thun

Maybe there was no need for a transit bypass before the reunification?
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe, but I think Hamburg itself was large enough to justify a northern arc. A20 is now being constructed further north to bypass the urban area with some distance.

In southern Hamburg, several city motorways (stadtautobahnen) were constructed, like A25, A250, A252 and A255, but northern Hamburg never saw a similar construction. All motorways north of the Elbe are transit routes.
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2552
thun

And the ones in the south mainly feed the harbour.
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In conjunction with the current widening of A40 between Essen and Bochum, a part of the west/south ring of Bochum will be upgraded tot Autobahn:

wikipedia:
Quote:
Die westlichen Teile des Bochumer Rings (namentlich Donezk-, Oviedo- und Nordhausen-Ring) sollen dann zur Autobahn aufgestuft werden und werden mit der bereits vorhandenen A 44 ab dem Kreuz Bochum/Witten verbunden. Somit ergibt sich eine durchgängige Verbindung der A 44 vom Westkreuz Bochum bis zum Kreuz Dortmund/Witten. Im Rahmen der mittlerweile aufgegebenen Planungen die A 44 von Bochum weiter nach Velbert zu führen, war die Verbindung zwischen A 40 und A 44 als A 441 geplant.
According to abandoned plans for A44 from Velbert to Bochum, this connection between A44 and A40 was planned as A441. Does anybody has an idea what number this upgraded road will get?

Road works are to be completed in May 2010.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #2554
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4249

Not sure if we had this one yet.

Riederwaldtunnel:

This tunnel will connect the A661 with the A66. It will ease commuter and through traffic in the Frankfurt area. It will have 2x3 lanes.

cost: 173 million EUR
total lengh of new autobahn: 2.2km
tunnel length: 1.1km
general construction start: 2009
tunnel construction start: 2011
finished: 2016 (?)
expected traffic: 87,000 cars/ day
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riederwaldtunnel

source: faz.de

source: http://www.hsvv.hessen.de/internet/b...9-26f2d6b51cdd

IMO one of the most important projects in the Frankfurt area. Right now its a pain in the ass if you come from the A66 and want to go to other motorways or eastern suburbs (Offenbach, Sachsenhausen etc.).

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; February 13th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #2555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We had a post about it before, I believe. You're right, it's a very important development in FFM.

However, there are more plans in the pipeline, such as the widening of A3 to 8 lanes, and the widening of A5 to 12 lanes. Generally, greater Frankfurt is dotted with Autobahnen and expressways, very good.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #2556
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
However, there are more plans in the pipeline, such as the widening of A3 to 8 lanes, and the widening of A5 to 12 lanes. Generally, greater Frankfurt is dotted with Autobahnen and expressways, very good.
Woo-hoo! Do you have more information about these projects?
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #2557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

German wikipedia:

A3:

Quote:
Zwischen dem Wiesbadener Kreuz und dem Frankfurter Kreuz, sowie von Offenbach bis Hanau ist ein achtstreifiger Ausbau im Vordringlichen Bedarf geplant. Für den Teilabschnitt zwischen Mönchhofdreieck und der Anschlussstelle Flughafen (im westlichen Teil des Frankfurter Kreuzes) begann im Frühjahr 2009 das Planfeststellungsverfahren.
A5:
Quote:
Im weiteren Verlauf bis zur Anschlussstelle Friedberg ist ein achtspuriger Ausbau ebenfalls im Weiteren Bedarf mit Planungsrecht eingestuft. Ein Ausbau auf acht Fahrstreifen ist für den anschließenden Abschnitt bis zum Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt mit dem Status Vordringlicher Bedarf vorgesehen. Für diesen Abschnitt ist seit Ende 2009 die Generalplanung ausgeschrieben.

Da auch der bereits achtspurige Abschnitt zwischen dem Nordwestkreuz Frankfurt und dem Frankfurter Kreuz an seine Kapazitätsgrenze stößt, ist für diese Strecke ein zwölfspuriger Ausbau geplant. Aufgrund der kurzen Abfolge mehrerer Anschlussstellen sollen dort Fern- und Lokalverkehr jeweils eigene Fahrbahnen erhalten. Problematisch an diesem Vorhaben ist, dass die Autobahn in diesem Bereich durch das stark bebaute Gebiet der Frankfurter Stadtteile Griesheim, Gallus und Goldstein führt. Die Planungsarbeiten haben Ende 2009 noch nicht begonnen.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2558
Albaneren
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Germany has the best motorways in the world! Chairs!
Albaneren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Chairs?
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #2560
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
IMO one of the most important projects in the Frankfurt area. Right now its a pain in the ass if you come from the A66 and want to go to other motorways or eastern suburbs (Offenbach, Sachsenhausen etc.).
What, if any, are the current plans for connecting the A66 with the A661 in the other direction (westward from the A661)? It looks like there is a preserved right-of-way for the purpose.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau